is the 950 a threat to the S7

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
ive just seen the specs of the Samsung S7 and im leaning towards selling the 950 and getting the samsung. The fact that they have included the micro sd card again is brillaint. this is a troll post, i love MS phones ive got the whole family on them but my 950 is seriously causing me problems and i dont trust it, i cant rely on it. the battery life is awful from a few whats apps, browsing then the battery will not last the day. i know the S7 is seriously going to be more expensive.
anyone else like me thinking its time to jump or you holding out, do you think updates from MS can sort the battery issues out or thats the best we are going to get.

First look at the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge smartphone - BBC News

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 950 isn't a serious mass-market threat to anything top-of-the-line right now without WM seriously improving.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The 950 series would be a threat if....1 - Microsoft actually promoted and marketed them, 2 - if they got islandwood up and running for porting apps. Then yes, it would be a general public threat....right now, its still a much better phone than any of the android, IOS offerings available today, even without the apps.

avi_920

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
950's camera will still be the best in the market at least for another one full year!

& the battery life is definitely improving with the newer builds. I easily get 24hrs until the phone dies out. Sure, the future RS update from MS will polish the user experience of L950.

That being said, unless someone's a heavy gamer on mobile or wants water proof or a metallic design, S7 makes sense, & oh, the "android OS"!

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
& the battery life is definitely improving with the newer builds. I easily get 24hrs until the phone dies out.
What?! You EASILY get 24 hours? Do you use your phone at all during the day? I dont get a full day out of my 950XL, never have. And no, it's not just this one device as I'm actually on my third one (due to other reasons). I'm not even a heavy user as I'm generally at my desk in front of a computer screen anyway. Most if the time though, I'll have to start charging it around 1930-2000 when I get back after my evening dog walk. That's roughly 13 hours since it came off the charger. Playing games it's pretty much out of the question, I did do one of the Candy Crush games for a while, but that will at times drain the battery 7% over a 10 minute time span.

My wife has a 950 and her complaints are very similar to mine although she says her phone is running better than ever now that it's been factory reset and upgraded to 107, so... She still seems to be running early firmware though.

My good old 1520 would easily last me a full day, even with heavy usage, so not sure what's going on (other than the OS being buggy).

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
No, the 950 isn't a threat to the S7. The only threat to the S7 is market saturation, otherwise it's going to sell in huge volumes. The 950 has been out for a while, and sales have been anemic at best. No reason to think this would have any effect on the sales of the S7.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
im leaning towards the S7, quite like the LG G5, im not that keen on the android software but i think im going to take the plunged. just seen windows have released another build and perhaps will sort the phone out but that doesnt look likely. im actually quite sad to be going, i love the tiles, i know the way it works and where to find things. want to instal the ext build just to see if it fixes it and ive got the phone i want. ive literally everything shut down including mobile data in the background , thats not right, its a complete joke at work, people keep telling me thats the reason you dont see may windows phones around, because there crap.

arielwp

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
People wanted to buy the device before it was even announced, so the only major threat can be if Samsung decides to announce the S8 tomorrow.

950's camera will still be the best in the market at least for another one full year!

I tend to disagree. S7 has a pretty decent camera (Assuming galaxy series lens), and it has now a f/1.7 aperture, whilst 950 has 1.9 (I think). Yet Samsung's cameras have this make-every-photo-look-over-realistic thing which might give 950 the victory.But still be the best and for another year at least? Unfortunately, I won't count on that.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
sad to say that ive sold my lumia 950 on ebay, I've lost about GBP80 in the three months of ownership so not sure any other brand would lose that much, however I will probably go for the S7, shame as I love windows but I just cant use a phone like this , everything shut down int he background. its been better today, on at 6.30am, right now battery is at 54%. which I guess I could live with, although I didn't go on edge so much today or whatsapp and that's what kills the battery imo

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless you are 100% committed to W10M, the 950 offers nothing to threaten the S7. It's probably got a better camera and some minor bells and whistles, but the S7 will have the better internal hardware and more apps.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
As it stands now, the 950/xl and Windows 10 Mobile are no threat to anyone, of course. This is a device for the fans of W10M to play around with.
But I have to say, I've had none of the issues people are complaining about. My 950 runs like a champ all day long. Battery lasts almost 24 hours with regular use (surfing, playing music with groove). I don't know about other phones these days, but I've never owned a smartphone that would last any longer.

avi_920

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
What?! You EASILY get 24 hours? Do you use your phone at all during the day?
My wife has a 950 and her complaints are very similar to mine although she says her phone is running better than ever now that it's been factory reset and upgraded to 107, so... She still seems to be running early firmware though.

My good old 1520 would easily last me a full day, even with heavy usage, so not sure what's going on (other than the OS being buggy).

Well, first thing is 950XL uses power hungry 810 processor. With my L950, if the wifi is left on continuously ever since I unplug from the charger, I definitely get 14-15hrs. That's with 2 email accounts syncing continuously, & no background apps blocked except for "edge browser". Before build .107, with the same usage pattern, I used to get around 10hrs.

It does drain quick if you do Skype video call or play graphic intensive games, like Modern combat 5 or whatsapp continually for 2hrs or so. Once again, if you're using mobile data, battery drains slightly quicker than when you use wifi.

So the thing is, with normal 'sensible' usage, my battery does last for the entire day. & the recent build .107 with the latest firmware has definitely improved the battery life, & that's my point.

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I started using WP when the 920 came out. I returned my month-old HTC One X (wonderful phone) to try something new. I next bought a Lumia 1520, a 520, a 640, a 1020, and two 925s. I held my ground and stayed with MS even as times changed and WP where left back by new, shiny phones from Apple and Android. But now, I say no more. I have just sold my beloved 1520 to help fund a Galaxy S7E. I am using my last 925 for now. MS, shame on you and your lack of direction with WP. You lost a good follower. I tired of waiting for about 4 years for the next great phone (sorry, 950 series did not warrant an upgrade from the 1520).

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I started using WP when the 920 came out. I returned my month-old HTC One X (wonderful phone) to try something new. I next bought a Lumia 1520, a 520, a 640, a 1020, and two 925s. I held my ground and stayed with MS even as times changed and WP where left back by new, shiny phones from Apple and Android. But now, I say no more. I have just sold my beloved 1520 to help fund a Galaxy S7E. I am using my last 925 for now. MS, shame on you and your lack of direction with WP. You lost a good follower. I tired of waiting for about 4 years for the next great phone (sorry, 950 series did not warrant an upgrade from the 1520).

sad to say but ive just doen the same, sold my 950 on ebay for GBP300 so with fees its cost me about GBP100 for 3 months use. Im preordering the S7 edge.
been with Lumias for years and years and nearly converted my wife and daugthers to MS phones. My wife still has the 640 and loves it but at the moment with 0% interest you can get the S7 edge for GBP24 for 2 years.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Sales doesn't matter to me personally. Just knowing how much better my experience with the XL will be to people buying the more expensive S7 makes me smile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss