830 died, what do I do?

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I believe my 830 died and I'm lost without a phone. Any suggestions on what I should do? I still have like 5 more payments on AT&T Next before I own the device. The 830 won't turn on any longer. I need to play with it a little bit, clean the contacts and blow it out but I have a feeling it's done.

I really want to hold out for the surface phone so I need something decent to get me by.

Should I:
Go back to my 920 (I'll miss the motion data/step count)
Buy a used 830 on ebay for like $80.
Do the AT&T Next 12 and get a Lumia 950 (I think I'll have to pay $100 to finish out the 830 plan)
Or do I buy a 640 or 650?

I'd rather buy my phones outright but I'm working on my house now and am not sure I can afford that, and I'm not sure that makes sense if I'm getting rid of it in a year.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Since you're talking about the 830, that can't be over 2 years old, right? So you're still in warranty. Get MS to fix it for you.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The cheapest option would be to buy the 640, especially with that promo right now. However, if you must have the 830, go for it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
This is true, but the 830 has wireless charging, full glance(I think), and better back camera. It's a matter of deciding if that difference is important enough for you to conside or not consider the 640.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Use your L920(upgrade it to W10 TP) and wait for the surface phone (if/when it comes out) or the new flagship HP phone coming this year...

Mark Baker3

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Id buy a secondhand lumia 930 off ebay and sell it when I get the new phone. The price has dropped on these alot and they should not drop too much more

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think it had a 2 year warranty.

Edit: Just checked, it's out of warranty.

Wow. In the UK(EU) all Lumias have a 2 year warranty (just returned my slightly over 1 year 930 to MS to have the mic fixed under warranty myself). I imagined the US would be similar. Do all US MS phones have a cut down warranty? Very weird, considering the US tend to have 2 year contracts like the UK.

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow. In the UK(EU) all Lumias have a 2 year warranty (just returned my slightly over 1 year 930 to MS to have the mic fixed under warranty myself). I imagined the US would be similar. Do all US MS phones have a cut down warranty? Very weird, considering the US tend to have 2 year contracts like the UK.
I don't remember any of my phones being 2 year, but can't say I've had to look in the past. Never really had problems unless I was the reason for the problem.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't remember any of my phones being 2 year, but can't say I've had to look in the past. Never really had problems unless I was the reason for the problem.

Yeah, 2 year warranty is interesting to me. As far as I know, it has usually been one year.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
In the UK, Lumia phones get a 2 year warranty in general, I think that's for all of them. My 820 had 2 year Nokia warranty as did my 930. MS's site confirms my warranty is recognised (just had to return my 930 to fix the mic, over a year old). It is possible that MS no longer issue 2 year warranties on Lumias? Researching on the web indicates that MS still do 2 year EU warranties on Lumias, but it may be different in the US. That would suck, but check your Lumia warranty status on the MS site to make sure. It may still be covered?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yikes. Looks like MS aren't as appreciative of US customers as they are of EU customers. Perhaps that explains why US people don't like Windows phones. Sorry old man, looks like you've got a raw deal there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium