I'm here to ask the people of Windows Central how they feel about the social presence of Windows Mobile. I absolutely love Windows Phone and Windows Mobile but whenever I check Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin or other social platforms, I only see post based on recent news rather than general news or conversation. Seeing breaking news about software updates, new phones and apps for Windows Mobile is great but we don't see many people naturally conversing about Windows Mobile. I strongly believe that word of mouth is the best form of promotion so why not promote what we all love and use by starting conversations with other people? Not just about the new Lumia, or the new insider update but about some of your favorite features, apps, or anything else of that nature. Yes, there are some people that already do this and there may be people you know that do this on a daily basis but lets encourage others to do the same by setting an example. I believe if we all spark more conversations about Windows Mobile on social networks we'll have more people interested in it. Microsoft hasn't promoted Windows Mobile very much and I believe it's because they're waiting for Windows Mobile to officially launch. What are your thoughts?
    03-05-2016 12:43 PM
    I see where you are coming from but I think that people can be interested if they are curious or they see someone else's phone and ask what phone is that. People don't always do that though. It's too varied. My friend group for example, this convo rarely comes up. Most of my friends aren't into tech really.
    alaskanjackson likes this.
    03-05-2016 02:11 PM
    Sometimes we need more than that. Social media is a large platform with hundreds of thousands of people actively talking. Talking about Windows Phone or Windows Mobile on social networks will lead more people to look at them which could cause more sales. The more people we have involved with Windows Phone, the more we'll accomplish.
    03-05-2016 03:28 PM
    There is a problem in that we self select like minded folks to follow/engage. What I see are distinct groups/subsets in various countries with no obvious efforts (from the company/or otherwise) to connect them. Along those lines, the term community bugs me. A community is self organizing and grows or shrinks based on organic interest. When companies try to direct communities/sites or own them it makes me stay away. When I first starting using WP7 a developer co named Liquid Daffodil had an interesting app that eventually led me to other users. This is what that company has been saying recently: https://shar.es/1Cypy1
    03-05-2016 03:46 PM
    Sometimes we need more than that. Social media is a large platform with hundreds of thousands of people actively talking. Talking about Windows Phone or Windows Mobile on social networks will lead more people to look at them which could cause more sales. The more people we have involved with Windows Phone, the more we'll accomplish.
    Or they can be like my own sister, who have memories of the old Windows Phone, and dislike it based on that image alone.
    Guytronic and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-05-2016 08:35 PM
    Or they can be like my own sister, who have memories of the old Windows Phone, and dislike it based on that image alone.
    That's what hurt BlackBerry. Too many people, including my cousin, have memories of the BlackBerry Storm.
    libra89 likes this.
    03-06-2016 12:41 AM
    There is a problem in that we self select like minded folks to follow/engage. What I see are distinct groups/subsets in various countries with no obvious efforts (from the company/or otherwise) to connect them. Along those lines, the term community bugs me. A community is self organizing and grows or shrinks based on organic interest. When companies try to direct communities/sites or own them it makes me stay away. When I first starting using WP7 a developer co named Liquid Daffodil had an interesting app that eventually led me to other users. This is what that company has been saying recently: https://shar.es/1Cypy1
    I completely understand where you're coming from and see why you think that way. I think sparking more conversations about the platform could be considered organic if that's what that specific person and or group talks about most. They could speak on these topics with their friends but it's a good idea to diversify the material that's currently being put out on social networks. If it's organic to talk about the latest insider build it's also organic to maybe talk about your favorite features a previous Lumia has or what made you feel like Windows is for you. Everything we see from tech sources are linked to one another in some way because a vast majority of the communities and or groups only cover what's new rather than other topics based on the community. Change is good, especially in this situation. If you open your Twitter app and search "Windows Mobile" or "Windows 10 Mobile" you'll see the same exact content from multiple sources. This isn't good.
    03-06-2016 12:48 AM
    Good point. I've tried to talk people into buying a Windows Phone and some people immediately decline based on their previous experience. If Microsoft would promote the features of Windows Phone or if more people saw others talking about what they like then they'd be more likely to give it a try. One of the best ways to win an IOS/Droid user is to let them play with your phone and see how awesome it really is!
    03-06-2016 12:53 AM
    To be honest, WP is not for everyone. App guys will hate WP. Those who hate Microsoft will of course hate WP. Those who think Apple is the best will not even try WP.

Even for those who appreciate the beauty of WP, they will most probably stay on their iPhone/Android, simply because they get used to these platforms already.

I have never tried to "sell" WP to anyone. But when someone asks me why I use WP (or most probably challenges me why I like that "dead" platform), I'm always ready to explain/defend. At least I can tell him why WP is perfect for me, if not everyone.

I once came up with an idea of setting up a facebook page talking about my story of switching to Microsoft products (including WP). It is not intended to "sell" WP, but instead let more people to at least know how good WP could be for some people, or to correct their misunderstanding/mistrust on Windows Phone. I think this is something good in building a more positive image of WP. Well, I have not built this fb page but I think I will do it in the near future.
    03-06-2016 04:13 AM
    To be honest, WP is not for everyone. App guys will hate WP. Those who hate Microsoft will of course hate WP. Those who think Apple is the best will not even try WP.

Even for those who appreciate the beauty of WP, they will most probably stay on their iPhone/Android, simply because they get used to these platforms already.

I have never tried to "sell" WP to anyone. But when someone asks me why I use WP (or most probably challenges me why I like that "dead" platform), I'm always ready to explain/defend. At least I can tell him why WP is perfect for me, if not everyone.

I once came up with an idea of setting up a facebook page talking about my story of switching to Microsoft products (including WP). It is not intended to "sell" WP, but instead let more people to at least know how good WP could be for some people, or to correct their misunderstanding/mistrust on Windows Phone. I think this is something good in building a more positive image of WP. Well, I have not built this fb page but I think I will do it in the near future.
    I think the Facebook idea would be great for new people looking at trying out a Windows Phone. I've seen a couple YouTube videos from people telling us why they stuck with Windows Phone instead of Android or IOS. I agree that Windows Phone isn't for everyone but I'm sure if people were more tech savy iPhones would be out of the picture. I say that because the iPhone is a well marketed yet inferior product in comparison to Windows and Android. I'm sure we'd gain a higher percentage of market share if Microsoft actually promoted their phones via commercials.
    Tsang Fai likes this.
    03-06-2016 08:25 AM
    (Or at least have a larger target audience in terms of design)

I get it, we all LOVE live tiles. But it is the people who write in these forums who love Tiles. I'm not asking to remove them (Heck, I can't live without them). But Microsoft needs to make Windows 10 Mobile more customizable! Like adding different keyboard styles. Different All apps layout. And most preferably (The reason I made this thread), A different look of the Start screen. Specifically, adding features to increase the Tile spacing and make Tiles rounder (At least more 3D-like). You know where I'm going with these. Most people hate Live Tiles! (You don't see them because they don't care to come in here and post, or to use Buggy Insider Builds to give feedback). Microsoft should give people what they want, If they have any intention to attract the casual on-looker who happens to be infront of a Windows phone.

Yeah yeah I know about this strategy WIndowsCentral is talking about. The strategy requires market share to decrease. But if hopes it can win people over Windows Phone later in the future, it needs to keep the collateral damage to a minimum. By that I mean, minimalizing the users leaving, and maximizing "on-looker" interest.

I'll end it by saying : Microsoft needs to make it's Software not for all of us, but for each of us (I don't remember where I heard it)

And I hope you guys are open for an open discussion, given the fact that my last small post was met by comments like "I will leave if Microsoft changes the start screen"
    04-07-2016 11:32 AM
    That would barely attract anyone from other OS's if any, because most people chooses not a product, but name. The main thing MS is lacking or not doing, caring is Media, Commercials and Mainstream sellouts and mind control like Apple and Samsung. Wherever you go whatever you do, you see iPhones and Samsung on every wall, window, screen, all you hear from all kinds of reviews sponsored by those same companies, is said or claimed that those two are the Best in every way, like Holy Grail and Microsoft don't do that, I have never seen any sellout reviews and rarely any commercials, that's why MS suffer its popularity.

In my eyes MS and their Windows getting better every day and I love it, always did, and I'm not planning on going to iOS or Android anytime soon, I will keep supporting MS and open to a any Fan ideas.
    04-07-2016 12:22 PM