Think its time we let OEMs know we are interested in their Windows phones

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I still say the value of a skin is more than cosmetic. To me at least.

Sure there are themers out there for WP and W10M allows a bit more leeway in how you dress out the Start and Notifications areas.

I'd rather an OEM concentrate on bringing Features and Apps to expand the UX. That is where Lumia made their real stamp on WP and now another can try and elevate beyond the pedestrian and workmanlike OS.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I still say the value of a skin is more than cosmetic. To me at least.

Sure there are themers out there for WP and W10M allows a bit more leeway in how you dress out the Start and Notifications areas.

I'd rather an OEM concentrate on bringing Features and Apps to expand the UX. That is where Lumia made their real stamp on WP and now another can try and elevate beyond the pedestrian and workmanlike OS.

I think skins and themes could enhance the UX. When I used BlackBerry, I used a theme that looked almost identical to my Windows 7 desktop. I have my Android phone and tablet arranged almost identically in terms of icon sets, folders, widgets.

Imagine if one could use the same style arrangement on his/her Windows 10 desktop and Windows 10 Mobile device. Having everything in the same place with a similar look might enhance the UX for that person.

Avi Mathur

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
So as a windows community, will that be great i we all can tweet to OEM demanding for windows 10 phones. I love the design and grip of moto Turbo. Can we get that as a WIN 10 phone? well... i just tweeted on their wall.
Lets all Windows Central Community show how much we would love to get the windows versions of their phone.

So hey you reading this comment, just tweet on your fav OEM's wall asking him to provide you with a windows version of those phones.
Lazy ? seriously?

okay just copy and paste the following on you twitter account. --
"@Moto_IND I absolutely love the design for motorolla turbo, but i am a Windows fan @MicrosoftIndia Can you provide ROM for moto phones?"

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
We already have that. It's called android and we see what happens when all that customization happens there. Delayed updates, performance issues, etc etc

I'm gonna be fair. My Lumia 810 got just a few firmware updates, it had performance issues towards the end, and TMO related etc. My experiences with Windows Phone 8 boiled down to "our break is just a month down the line." The break never came while I used my phone, and it still seems to be "just around the corner." Software support for the first run of Windows Phone devices felt weak, and frankly fell short of what Android makers used to support. Lumia 810 died within a year, 822 was relegated to the shadows, and 820 never seemed to catch on. By the time of the 925, the hardware was being pushed to obsolescence, and never felt it caught on. And as far as software support went? Even the 920 and 928 seemed to have troubles on timely updates.

Forget the OEM hardware support. I need Microsoft to just do a full release of Windows 10 Mobile. I never felt it actually launch as a finished, polished product. That's what's keeping me from going back. It seems to be stuck in developer hell. I don't care how great the hardware being released is... It's pointless if the software isn't up to snuff. Fix the software issues and app issue, and you've got my attention.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I hope MS pulls a NOKIA this time around with SPhone or Lumia. L650's design language is very good considering the fact that MS always released MS devices in a slate form and I think future Lumia or SPhones must use the same design language, but with better internal specs. The more I think about phones designed by NOKIA, I simply miss their harmony these days with MS designed phones. I think the official w10 stable builds for every phone will come in Fall '16.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I read this...
My experiences with Windows Phone 8 boiled down to "our break is just a month down the line." The break never came while I used my phone, and it still seems to be "just around the corner."

And then in the next post I read this...
I think the official w10 stable builds for every phone will come in Fall '16.

Angry_Mushroom, your point is proven!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This is one thing that has always bugged me.

1. People seem to think that we need this OEM or that OEM for Windows 10 mobile to be successful. For the 100th time this is irrelevant. Microsoft, imo, is making a mistake by relying mostly on OEMs because OEMs aren't going to bring success to the platform.
on these OEMs to carry the weight of the platform. After all, one needs to look at WP7 origins and what happened when they had OEM support then but there was still ittle traction or excitement for the platform.

It wasn't until Nokia's debut with their 710, 800 and 900 the platform got the excitement it deserved and then translated into WP 8 and WP 8.1

No Microsoft is not apple....nor are they google.

Microsoft does not have the clout either have in the mobile arena and that is an undisputed fact.

If we look at the reason why marketshare is falling, the reason is not due to a lack of OEMs but a lack of phones.

When your users are willing to hold onto hardware that is nearly 3-4 years old(9XX models or 1020, for example). You have an issue.

for whatever reason Nokia/Microsoft seem to gimp each successor of their phones. The reason the marketshare is dropping is becuase people

A. havent gotten a suitable replacement. 1020 owners dont want to upgrade as they want a successor

b. the midrange users havent gotten a good successor.

C. The flagship users are annoyed because of a design (which is so petty tbh) despite the hardware being excellent. They want a 930 or 1520 type of phone.

Microsoft releasing 4 phones is precisely why the marketshare is dropping. Notice that in the year and a half they had all these models out and they sold more. They suddenly retrench and out of nowhere the marketshare drops.

Microsoft has always been the best of apple and Android while not being them at the same time. It can't rely on its name like they can and throw out crap and call it gold like they can.

However, Microsoft/Nokia did create an enviable and actually sought after brand at one time. Lumia was desired even by Android users for the hardware and of course camera capabilities.
Which is very Apple-like of them.

They found success in to mass releasing various models, much like Android, where they were able to meet various price points and target audience.

The biggest mistake they did was they diluted and weaken their own platform with redundancies(there was no really need for a 4xx line...the5X line was fine, along with a 6, merge the 7xx and 8xx line into one, and merge the 9xx and 1xxx lines together.

Microsoft current mistake is instead of releasing hardware successors their users wanted they released the 950s. Which IMO are good but at thesame time, they dont offer much that the last gen flagships dont offer.

Their current mistake is relying on these android OEMs in the first place. Microsoft has the dominant position in the WP arena.

So dont screw the users who are supporting your platform by giving us no option except android OEMs who have NEVER supported the platform in the first place.

HTC sucks royally, Samsung, and LG....the only ones worth looking at are Blu and Alcatel on the low end side.

I'd probably leave the platform entirely if Microsoft stopped releasing any sort of highend hardware or simply just use older Lumia models because i'd rather not settle for hand me downs from OEMs that likely wont get support or the attention/marketing it deserves.

Yes it seems that way for me too. But Lumia has lost its sheen. Everyone is now looking forward to Surface phone (which I think won't make much difference). I too don't want to buy a non-Lumia WM but if the company is not willing to improve their phone business then I, as a consumer, won't be willing to wait either. If Microsoft releases a new phone within 4-5 months (which is unlikely) then I would gladly wait else I'll consider Lumia 950XL. But if some other manufacturer is offering me a better option then why not consider it? Lumia is no iPhone and would never be. So, for the platform to grow, it needs global or even regional OEMs. The so-called term "Lumia fans" holds no relevance now. Just my opinion.

As great as some of the Lumia phones have been there needs to be a bigger choice out there, and I have always said this, Microsoft is not Apple, as much as the Lumia fans would like it to be. If Windows phone is going to make it there needs to be a choice of phones, styles and prices. What does it matter if say Samsung makes an SG7 Windows phone to go along with the Android, you would get a great Windows phone. Me personally, have a problem with Chinese phones, And I'm sure they are good if not great. I'm looking forward to the new HP phone. Embrace something new. Still loving my Windows M8.

Yes indeed. HTC One M8 did initially get its own customization..like using Cortana on their flip cover. Their support kinda died out soon after though...

Recently Xiaomi updated their firmware for the mi4 win10 mobile with camera updates and crash fixes... which makes me hopeful because they did it even with very few users.

But ultimately I think support for windows phones by other OEMs will not sustain unless we become more vocal about our wants from other OEMs. Xiaomi mi4 was used as a test bed for a win10 rom, maybe they ought to know that we like the idea and we need more phones like that, if not with win10 preloaded.

Which brings me back to my original point..let OEMs know you want windows from them...most of this community hasn't expressed interest in others for nearly 3 years because Nokia/Microsoft churned out enough phones to keep the majority of us happy...those times are gone...now is the time to be vocal about wanting phones from other OEMs. I am sure Microsoft is doing their part to court OEMs...why dont we do ours to let OEMs know that there is demand to meet what Microsoft is asking of them?

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
This is one thing that has always bugged me.

When your users are willing to hold onto hardware that is nearly 3-4 years old(9XX models or 1020, for example). You have an issue.

for whatever reason Nokia/Microsoft seem to gimp each successor of their phones. The reason the marketshare is dropping is becuase people

A. havent gotten a suitable replacement. 1020 owners dont want to upgrade as they want a successor

b. the midrange users havent gotten a good successor.

C. The flagship users are annoyed because of a design (which is so petty tbh) despite the hardware being excellent. They want a 930 or 1520 type of phone.

Microsoft releasing 4 phones is precisely why the marketshare is dropping. Notice that in the year and a half they had all these models out and they sold more. They suddenly retrench and out of nowhere the marketshare drops.

Microsoft has always been the best of apple and Android while not being them at the same time. It can't rely on its name like they can and throw out crap and call it gold like they can.

However, Microsoft/Nokia did create an enviable and actually sought after brand at one time. Lumia was desired even by Android users for the hardware and of course camera capabilities.
Which is very Apple-like of them.

They found success in to mass releasing various models, much like Android, where they were able to meet various price points and target audience.

The biggest mistake they did was they diluted and weaken their own platform with redundancies(there was no really need for a 4xx line...the5X line was fine, along with a 6, merge the 7xx and 8xx line into one, and merge the 9xx and 1xxx lines together.
MS would have been successful, if they have reused design of L1020 and 930, by keeping the design similar but with updated internal specs to handle the beast camera. In other words, Just update the internal specs of L1020 and we're happy to use it.
Too many models releasing in a small time frame confuses even the enthusiast's who are buying these products. For example: I bought L950 today, after couple of months MS releases 960 which has the same internals with better design language, say Fabula 4.0 and metal body. I'd say, was there any problem with my current phone to begin with?? and similar other doubts.
4 categories each having a single device, one low end, one mid range, one affordable flagship and one flagship. By following this, users will buy phones rather than thinking which one to buy from a variety of phones to choose from.

I think MS must make w10m available to some iphones and galaxy S series flagships and other OEM, surely it helps some of them to switch to Grey/Dark side from Light Side(pun intended:wink:)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
People seem to think that we need this OEM or that OEM for Windows 10 mobile to be successful. For the 100th time this is irrelevant. Microsoft, imo, is making a mistake by relying mostly on OEMs because OEMs aren't going to bring success to the platform.

:grin:

This made me chuckle :)
Is Microsoft still all in?

cjslman

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Most definitely, OEMs producing smartphones that run W10M will be beneficial for the platform. How much benefit is to be seen. An example of this is HP's recent show of it's Elite X3: it caused a lot of interest and it will be interesting to see what happens when it goes live (hopefully it does). But the responsibility for success is on MS' shoulders: the OEMs can only help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss