decent low end phone

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm starting to look for a low end phone for my daughter, she is only 11 so doesn't need any high end specs at this point.

requirements:
Unlocked
less than $200
4.5" - 5" screen
Windows 10 Mobile (preferred)

I've seen quite a few announcements for new low end phones that are going to be coming out with Windows 10 mobile (I want this so that I can monitor sites and usage of the phone). I'm not concerned if I need to buy it from out of country. I'm more looking to see what other parents recommend. It's primary usage will be what ever pre-teens use phones for, hehe:) But yes so that we can get in touch with her.

I'm thinking of getting a phone line for her come the fall when she goes back to public school, but may wait till 13.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The Microsoft Lumia 550 is a good choice. The Lumia 650 has a better screen, camera set up, design, internal storage, and quality, but it's right at the top of your $200 maximum. I'd suggest the Lumia 550, then update it to the latest build, immediately factory reset, then it'll be good to go. There are some other really solid Windows Phone 8.1 options like the Microsoft Lumia 640 as well and you can put that on the Release Preview ring to get it onto a stable build of Windows 10 Mobile. You can find that for as low as $30 and it's a great little phone. Then of course you have some third-party options.
I'd suggest either the Lumia 640 or Lumia 550. The Lumia 550 if you want new and "built for Windows 10 Mobile" but the Lumia 640 if you can great deal on it and you care more about saving some money.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Just picked up a 550 as a backup and it is worth the $139 unlocked from Microsoft store. Smooth operation with the newest OS build release. I would say move forward with win10. Very good value for the price.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you get a $30 Lumia 640 GoPhone, you can't go wrong, IMHO.

Put it on Insider Release ring. Then revet to stock and take the official W10M upgrade when it is out soon.

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I was in best buy and they still had the 640 for $30. I already have two and got an unlock code from att. Great phone for the price. Currently running W10 on one. Btw, request the unlock code first without turning the phone on. Once you have the code, then remove the att SIM add your SIM, turn it on to unlock it. The att SIM comes preloaded and turning on the phone locks you as an att customer. If that happens att will not give you the code until after 6 months of att billing.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
when I was 11 I made do with old Palm PDAs while my peers toted dumbphones and later iPhones. heh. Just in case she complains.

But yea, the $30 640 deal just cannot be beat if you use, or plan on using AT&T postpaid or GoPhone. (or ATT-based Straight talk or w/e)

a used phone may also be a good deal, but it depends on course. I've had good experiences, but it doesnt mean no lemons.

Also might want to check out BLU's offerings, I think the Win HD or HD LTE might be worth it. (ask RumoredNow, I think he's peddling one as well as used it.)

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
thnx for the responses and will look for the 640.

As for apps needed, it has what's needed at this point. And when she gets enough money to buy her own phone she can choose the platform:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss