Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter or Fire stick?

eldreams

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to cut my cable bill in half. I'm having trouble between microsoft wireless adapter versus amazon fire TV stick. Does anyone know if you can stream netflix/hulu and such [From PC/Tablet] to the microsoft display adapter v2 and what the quality is like?

I have a surface book, xbox one, surface pro's, windows phone, other windows/android tablets, an Amazon prime member, and of course TVs.

I mostly use the xbox in the main living area, but would like to use this device on the go or in my child's room when needed so that he can watch his cartoons.

In short, something that's more of a cable/TV replacement. So if you have other suggestions or know of a device that's better (such as Roku etc), please feel free to share. The hardest thing I've yet to discover is a service/device that offers NickJr other then playstation vue, and I'm not about to go out and buy a PS4 right now.

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter For?

You can't stream stuff from the adapter.

You can connect your surface pro to the adapter and stream from that... if that's what you mean...

eldreams

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Yes that's what I mean. Can you stream netflix/hulu/etc from a PC/Tablet, and how is the quality? Or am I best off looking at a different device such as the fire stick etc? Thank you!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Yes you can stream. The quality is great. I would say it's just as good as being plugged in with an HDMI cable.

Based on my experience with my SP4 and Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, you won't have any problems.

Make sure and get MWDA v2 though :)

P.S I did have problems with MY SP4 and MWDA in the beginning. But it's fine now after OS updates and firmware updates to the MWDA. There will be a hiccup here and there because it's wireless. But v2 is supposed to be even better :)

eldreams

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

@ttsoldier Do you happen to have an Amazon fire stick or something to compare against or add any input from that sense?

mrmobileperformance

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I use it sometimes with my Surface Pro 4. When it works it works really well though there is a slight but noticeable lag, which doesn't bother me, but your mileage may vary.

The most important downside is that it disconnects periodically. When I use it downstairs in my house, it doesn't happen vary often, but upstairs it disconnects every five minutes. So the environment impacts the quality of the connection so at your place you may not have any problems. But then again: You will.

Sent from mTalk

eldreams

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I use it sometimes with my Surface Pro 4. When it works it works really well though there is a slight but noticeable lag, which doesn't bother me, but your mileage may vary.

The most important downside is that it disconnects periodically. When I use it downstairs in my house, it doesn't happen vary often, but upstairs it disconnects every five minutes. So the environment impacts the quality of the connection so at your place you may not have any problems. But then again: You will.

Sent from mTalk

Hmm thanks for pointing these things out, def something I should consider.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

@ttsoldier Do you happen to have an Amazon fire stick or something to compare against or add any input from that sense?

No I do not. Keep in mind that a fire stick and a MWDA are two different devices. A MWDA sole purpose is to connect wirelessly. An Amazon firestick is more like an Apple TV where you can install apps (Netflix, hulu , hbo go etc) etc BUT also allows supports the micracast technology

Sent from mTalk

The "lag" is not that bad. Honestly. Keep in mind that you are doing here. You are basically connecting your device to a TV with an "invisible" HDMI cable..

Pertaining to the disconnects, I experienced these problems in the beginning. It would constantly disconnect and was very frustrating to use.

Now, after several windows 10 os and sp4 firmware updates as well as firmware updates to the MWDA, it works fine. It does not disconnect. Ever. Also, keep in mind that you will be getting V2 of the MWDA.

eldreams

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon