Zero Discussion of Mobile at Build Keynote

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Tell me again that the platform isn't DOA?

Isn't this comment a little premature? Have you not seen the coverage given to UWP? Did you not see the 'bridges' demonstrated for converting apps? How about a unified store on XBOX, PC and 'other' platforms?

As I said, a little premature maybe.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Isn't this comment a little premature? Have you not seen the coverage given to UWP? Did you not see the 'bridges' demonstrated for converting apps? How about a unified store on XBOX, PC and 'other' platforms?

As I said, a little premature maybe.

Keynotes reflect priority. It is clear W10 mobile is not one.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft might just be expecting Mobile to be automatically swept along in the current. And, that is possible.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft might just be expecting Mobile to be automatically swept along in the current. And, that is possible.
You mean the current in which it's currently drowning?

No, that is a na?ve response. Everyone knows it matters and those who claim others wise are not being honest.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Makes sense. It's 1% of the mobile market and they appropriately don't care. As a stockholder I agree. As a 950XL owner not so happy...reality

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You mean the current in which it's currently drowning?

No, that is a na?ve response. Everyone knows it matters and those who claim others wise are not being honest.

For the record, I'm not saying I agree with that view! I'm saying that Microsoft might think that.

Looking at it realistically, throughout the keynote HoloLens, Xbox, and IoT were often mentioned as part of the Windows 10 Platform. Mobile wasn't.

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
The platform isn't dead.

First, this was the keynote, which kind of details future stuff and is only front for the rest of the build days.

Second, remember Windows 10 is more than just an OS now, its a service. When they talk about Windows 10 in general, which they did throughout the Keynote session, they are talking about all devices with Windows 10. Mobile, HoloLens, PC, Tablets, Xbox, and IoT.

Just because the introduction didn't have your favorite character, doesn't mean they're not in the book.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
The platform isn't dead.

First, this was the keynote, which kind of details future stuff and is only front for the rest of the build days.

Second, remember Windows 10 is more than just an OS now, its a service. When they talk about Windows 10 in general, which they did throughout the Keynote session, they are talking about all devices with Windows 10. Mobile, HoloLens, PC, Tablets, Xbox, and IoT.

Just because the introduction didn't have your favorite character, doesn't mean they're not in the book.

Good answer, BUT, unfortunately, the dissenters appear to separate Win 10 Mobile from WaaS. MS quite clearly, and have done for some time now, promoted the WaaS and the fact that all devices participate in the ecosystem, from PC to surface, Xbox to Mobile etc.

Oh, and I found a snippet for W10M in the news section on here. Continuum to go wireless and for gaming, Xbox controller compatability with continuum devices. Neither of these projects are cheap to fund, and raise eyebrows when the mobile is dead brigade fail to read or research these snippets, and they weren't even buried. It's day one, so as I said in the previous post, slating and doom mongering is premature. Doom mongering itself isn't the problem, it's the lack of research done before posting such negative comments.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I guess Microsoft is hoping that if they can just avoid the dangerous rapids along the way, perhaps they can setup camp and finally establish a village downstream. The problem is the rope holding the raft together is beginning to come apart :grin:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I honestly believe if there would have been a segment on mobile quite a few would have busted out laughing or there would have been a rolling groan.
They were smart to step over the subject.

Not to say more rumors or semi-valid information may be gleaned from the conference.
I'm almost sure it's being discussed in the halls anyway.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Ya think? WM is barely used in the general public, including people who are otherwise all into Microsoft. I've said this before, but my boss is a Microsoft MVP and occasionally goes to summits in Redmond or other places. He says that hardly any WPs are there, probably the same ratio as the public.

Outside of a few fans, people don't really care about Microsoft's mobile.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Outside of a few fans, people don't really care about Microsoft's mobile.

All I know is early on the live keynote I noticed a number of folks in the audience using a popular phone on another platform taking Mr. Nadellas picture while he was on stage.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I honestly believe if there would have been a segment on mobile quite a few would have busted out laughing or there would have a rolling groan.
They were smart to step over the subject.

Not to say more rumors or semi-valid information may be gleaned from the conference.

They didn't really need a separate section for phone bur could have shown how those experiences were available on their alleged family member also running Windows 10, a simple way to promote their synergy and demo their whole mobility of experiences mantra. That also sows the seeds in devs minds to consider mobile as well.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
While the idea may be to leave the consumer part of the Windows Phone market to OEM's, I don't see them flocking either. I think Alcatel is on board merely in an attempt to differentiate themselves from all the other low cost Android phones. I wonder how many they are selling though compared to their Android models. I guess the proof of the pudding will be if they produce any more models after their upcoming flagship Idol 4.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
They didn't really need a separate section for phone bur could have shown how those experiences were available on their alleged family member also running Windows 10, a simple way to promote their synergy and demo their whole mobility of experiences mantra.

I know that.

While the idea may be to leave the consumer part of the Windows Phone market to OEM's, I don't see them flocking either. I think Alcatel is on board merely in an attempt to differentiate themselves from all the other low cost Android phones. I wonder how many they are selling though compared to their Android models. I guess the proof of the pudding will be if they produce any more models after their upcoming flagship Idol 4.

I must report that my Windows phone experience With Alcatel has been poor.
Not with the OS but the hardware quality of the XL one touch I shelled out for.

I'm very curious to see what Alcatel has to offer for the higher dollar amount.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3