Zero Discussion of Mobile at Build Keynote

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
do you think MS would invest so much in the continuum feature just to abandon it now, Mobile is just a part of the UWP now and people need to start understanding that, its not a separate entity anymore, its one brick on a wall from here out, So to answer your question, NO mobile is not dead.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
do you think MS would invest so much in the continuum feature just to abandon it now, Mobile is just a part of the UWP now and people need to start understanding that, its not a separate entity anymore, its one brick on a wall from here out, So to answer your question, NO mobile is not dead.
I agree that the mobile platform isn't dead but continuum does reinforce the idea that they are going to concentrate on enterprise. Continuum, just like office on mobile etc. doesn't make sense for consumer products. Sure there may be the odd few here and there who will make use of it, but the vast majority won't have a need.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The 950/950 XL were made for the "Fans" as this has been stated many times. I can tell you that MS will improve continuum features for these phones and other things, but the real focus will be on their spring lineup of phones that are supposed to be their big push into "mobile". And I do put quotes on it because it does not necessarily mean a plain phone, it could be a more advanced 2-in-1 with superior continuum. And of course everything before it will just be there and can get the apps. Likely a lot of phones won't be able to take advantage of many new features.

So for the fans is sort of like saying "here's something to hold you over while we make the real stuff". And that's just what they did. Why do you think they don't care that 50% of the devices won't get windows 10? They will only care about their future spring line up. And any phones with continuum. the 950/950xl is also being used by them to collect data on continuum to make the OS better. They know that fans are more likely to join the insider program. It also gives them some relevance in the mobile segment. But as the shares dwindle their expectation is to create new categories like with the surface line.

I sort of regret buying the 950xl. The push for features for continuum is way too slow. Summer is a long time to wait to get a few features. And I think build does need to push continuum. It's an interesting features, and if that's where their future is going it should be mentioned. A lot of apps can be deployed for mobile/desktop but they won't support continuum by default. So while I have a lot more apps in continuum, i'm still forced to RDP as not all my apps are available nor do I have good alternatives.

To me a phone for the fans would be an awesome phone that is worth the money and has everything the fans can dream of. I really hate the idea that "for the fans" can mean something that isn't good enough for the general public that a fan will struggle to make work. It should be more than what the general public wants...not less.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
To me a phone for the fans would be an awesome phone that is worth the money and has everything the fans can dream of. I really hate the idea that "for the fans" can mean something that isn't good enough for the general public that a fan will struggle to make work. It should be more than what the general public wants...not less.
A price break is the least they could've done.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

I also have a hard time accepting that the 950 and 950XL were made for fans. What fans were these? I'm a WP fan and I never desired two bland overpriced flagship devices only available in black and white running a broken OS that resembles Android more than WP.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I really think Continiuum will appeal to a very, very small audience. I am pretty devoted geek and I could care less about it. It will never run the full blown Adobe creative suite, so it will never replace my SP.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

I agree with you. But I wonder:
Is it the hardware?
Or just a crappy OS?

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
After being back on Android for 3 days (S7 Edge) I am impressed with how far Android has come since I left it. I miss a few things from WP, mostly Cortana deep integration and the app management, but for the most part, it is such a better experience, I am sad to say. Samsung has done a really nice job.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
After being back on Android for 3 days (S7 Edge) I am impressed with how far Android has come since I left it. I miss a few things from WP, mostly Cortana deep integration and the app management, but for the most part, it is such a better experience, I am sad to say. Samsung has done a really nice job.

I am considering selling 950xl and going to Samsung - what do you mean by Cortana Deep integration? Doesn't google now do same things?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I am considering selling 950xl and going to Samsung - what do you mean by Cortana Deep integration? Doesn't google now do same things?

I'm guessing that they meant that if they specifically want to use Cortana, it doesn't work as well as on Android?

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I'm not really sure what Google now doesn't do that cortana's does. My phone does have to be plugged in or the screen on for Google now to work. But Google now also automatically searches your screen (like a webpage or app) when I turn it on in marshmallow and can unlock the phone with my voice when the features are activated. Otherwise it predicts my activities the same and so far does the same things, sometimes better. Yesterday I asked it "is restaurant x open now", and it instantly spoke the answer "no". I don't remember cortana working quite that well.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I asked it "is restaurant x open now", and it instantly spoke the answer "no". I don't remember cortana working quite that well.

Just said "Hey Cortana," and woke her on my 1520 (10.0.10586.218) from Glance screen. "Is Happy China open now?"

I got the verbal reply "Happy China is open until 10 PM," along with this information.

wp_ss_20160425_0001.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills