Having read Mr Myerson's thoughts, I can see why the comments section on WC turned into a slanging match with handbags at 5 paces. Whilst dodging low fly teddy bears, and some quite unpleasant trolling, I returned to what was said and set about trying to understand what he was 'attempting' to say.

Now, we have to bear in mind that this is a developer event. So when he speaks of little to no development, is he referring to further devices or software? Does he mean, when he says, 'we' as in Microsoft, does that mean that they are looking to OEM's for development of a) software etc, or b) time for them to develop devices should their current line up sell well?

Admittedly, he could of given a clearer answer, rather than what seemed a politicians response, and maybe people wouldn't go on the attack or end up having to defend their corner. Some on these boards really do need to read the whole story, rather than seeing a headline and jumping straight into the comments and ending up portraying the behaviour of a hormonal teenager. These boards are for discussion, and I'm pretty sure that many have the intelligence and ability to present a reasoned argument. We know we are the minority. I like my guilty little secret. With news items like Mr Myerson's, maybe a bit more tact and understanding wouldn't go amiss. It does seem a little odd though that he would give this information out, when other news comes from Build that Continuum is being prepped for wireless and the Xbox controller will work with the mobile devices. You can see why people are a little 'miffed', and I understand that, but do we have to resort to the torrent of abuse and vitriol displayed on these boards. Everyone has their own opinion, and should be encouraged to have one, but how can we have a proper two way communication when one party is unable to respond without resorting to trolling and plain ignorance or half reading the story.

So, thank you Mr Myerson. Another MS public relation error.
    03-30-2016 07:54 PM
    The way I read his comments was that Microsoft were going to let the Universal Applications Platform develop a bit more on their more established devices and then come back to Windows Phones later. Of course he was trying to be a bit vague so as not to commit just in case things don't go as planned.

I think Windows Phone as a consumer product is done at least for the foreseeable future, but a surface phone can still make sense as a business device can get away without consumer orientated apps.
    Guytronic, libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    03-30-2016 09:13 PM
    I think Windows Phone as a consumer product is done
    Acer
    Alcatel
    HP

For me the above names come to mind.
    I really do think Microsoft is out of the mobile phone hardware business.
    To me mobile partnerships are the last ditch.

This is just a guess.
    With research and common sense my guesses have been pretty close.
    I'll revisit this thread in January 2017...
    RumoredNow, libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    03-30-2016 09:28 PM
    Just a little humor

Microsoft's Windows Phone ambitions kind of remind me of this Family Guy Episode clip where the guy saying "It's a Jackal" represents Microsoft and Stewie represents an exasperated Windows Phone Fan:

Guytronic and aximtreo like this.
    03-30-2016 09:45 PM
    Just a little humor

Microsoft's Windows Phone ambitions kind of remind me of this Family Guy Episode clip where the guy saying "It's a Jackal" represents Microsoft and Stewie represents an exasperated Windows Phone Fan:

Spot on! I doubt the universal app situation will work to propel windows phone into the third mobile OS spot out of oblivion anymore than similar efforts have worked in the past. To me the comments just say that Microsoft wants developers to develop for the platform and they are going to try to keep Windows at the head of the computing market and kind of not care about mobile for the foreseeable future. Its sad when HoloLens gets more attention than Windows Phone. I mean HoloLens is neat, but I will probably not be buying one before I buy a new cell phone.
    aximtreo and GCrane1982 like this.
    03-31-2016 01:12 AM
    Having read Mr Myerson's thoughts, I can see why the comments section on WC turned into a slanging match with handbags at 5 paces. Whilst dodging low fly teddy bears, and some quite unpleasant trolling, I returned to what was said and set about trying to understand what he was 'attempting' to say.

Now, we have to bear in mind that this is a developer event. So when he speaks of little to no development, is he referring to further devices or software? Does he mean, when he says, 'we' as in Microsoft, does that mean that they are looking to OEM's for development of a) software etc, or b) time for them to develop devices should their current line up sell well?

Admittedly, he could of given a clearer answer, rather than what seemed a politicians response, and maybe people wouldn't go on the attack or end up having to defend their corner. Some on these boards really do need to read the whole story, rather than seeing a headline and jumping straight into the comments and ending up portraying the behaviour of a hormonal teenager. These boards are for discussion, and I'm pretty sure that many have the intelligence and ability to present a reasoned argument. We know we are the minority. I like my guilty little secret. With news items like Mr Myerson's, maybe a bit more tact and understanding wouldn't go amiss. It does seem a little odd though that he would give this information out, when other news comes from Build that Continuum is being prepped for wireless and the Xbox controller will work with the mobile devices. You can see why people are a little 'miffed', and I understand that, but do we have to resort to the torrent of abuse and vitriol displayed on these boards. Everyone has their own opinion, and should be encouraged to have one, but how can we have a proper two way communication when one party is unable to respond without resorting to trolling and plain ignorance or half reading the story.

So, thank you Mr Myerson. Another MS public relation error.
    Reading other posts with a very loose grip on reality and mostly littered with accusations and lies and half-truths from you and the highly emotive language you use (handbags, teddy bears, hormonal teenager, etc.), it is difficult to distinguish you from the ones you seem to criticise.

You dispute solid hard evidence in in order to argue some strange alternative universe where everything Microsoft does and says can be interpreted in a positive light and every decision is ultimately for the greater good. Anyone that doesn't accept your position is branded with all sorts of insults.

You know, sometimes you're just plain wrong and it would serve you and most of all Microsoft that there was some acknowledgement of that. Just saying something is a PR disaster is not enough as with together with your opinions and statements it seems to imply that they just failed at tricking people.
    03-31-2016 03:50 AM
    Just a little humor

I remember seeing that one!

Have you seen the episode where the Zune gets slated? :D
    aximtreo and Guytronic like this.
    03-31-2016 04:16 AM
    Acer
    Alcatel
    HP

For me the above names come to mind.
    I really do think Microsoft is out of the mobile phone hardware business.
    To me mobile partnerships are the last ditch.

This is just a guess.
    With research and common sense my guesses have been pretty close.
    I'll revisit this thread in January 2017...
    Wasn't there a MSFT news item that hinted / said, there would be no new phones for a while after the x50 devices?

As for retail sales, like you, I do believe that Microsoft is attempting to distance itself and 'hope' the OEM's make a go of it. It would seem that the enterprise sector is where they see their future.

I can't see Acer, Alcatel, Vaio and HP getting involved if the market research doesn't show interest.

Whilst WaaS does appear to be the way to go, the phone aspect, at present, is it's Achilles heel. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink, and at present, the mobile aspect is seriously dehydrated.

See you in 2017 ;-)
    aximtreo and Guytronic like this.
    03-31-2016 04:35 AM
    Wasn't there a MSFT news item that hinted / said, there would be no new phones for a while after the x50 devices?

As for retail sales, like you, I do believe that Microsoft is attempting to distance itself and 'hope' the OEM's make a go of it. It would seem that the enterprise sector is where they see their future.

I can't see Acer, Alcatel, Vaio and HP getting involved if the market research doesn't show interest.

Whilst WaaS does appear to be the way to go, the phone aspect, at present, is it's Achilles heel. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink, and at present, the mobile aspect is seriously dehydrated.

See you in 2017 ;-)
    The actions Microsoft have taken lately are all consistent with a company that is trying to disassociate itself from phones without inadvertently looking like they are dropping the Windows 10 Universal Apps platform.

To me the on boarding of the OEMs is just another way of trying to make it look like Microsoft isn't leaving Windows Phone users in the lurch. What is likely to happen is the interest from the OEMs will quietly fade into the sunset but it will look like you can still trust Microsoft not to leave you behind because obviously they were not the ones who abandoned it. Thus come next year, they can market the Surface Phone, such that you can have confidence that they never give up on Windows Phone devices
    libra89 likes this.
    03-31-2016 10:27 AM
    The actions Microsoft have taken lately are all consistent with a company that is trying to disassociate itself from phones without inadvertently looking like they are dropping the Windows 10 Universal Apps platform.

To me the on boarding of the OEMs is just another way of trying to make it look like Microsoft isn't leaving Windows Phone users in the lurch. What is likely to happen is the interest from the OEMs will quietly fade into the sunset but it will look like you can still trust Microsoft not to leave you behind because obviously they were not the ones who abandoned it. Thus come next year, they can market the Surface Phone, such that you can have confidence that they never give up on Windows Phone devices
    The hope of a surface phone is about as unfounded as Microsoft taking over enterprise phone hardware in the current BYOD culture where there isn't software for Sutrface Phone available. It is about as realistic as Apple taking over enterprising computing in the next year.
    04-01-2016 01:32 PM