Windows 10 Mobile smartphones call them WINDOWS SMARTPHONES or WINDOWS MOBILES , not Windows Phone

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I wonder why the Smartphones with Windows 10 Mobile are not called Windows mobiles or Windows Smartphones by people and Microsoft, When Windows Phone are the ones with Windows Phone 7, 8, 8.1 OS (Dead OS)?
Maybe, Windows Smartphones or Windows Mobiles if called for Smartphones with Windows 10 Mobile would create a difference and present this different from the Windows Phone Views and Connotation before... Please share your opinions

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it's just a Windows phone these days. Windows being the focus.

I don't think we need a Windows Smartphone, just as we don't have an Apple Smartphone or S7 Smartphone etc.

Since the universal nature of Windows is supposed to bring eventual parity with the desktop, Windows is the focus and so it's still a Windows phone, perhaps just not a Windows Phone. All recent Microsoft blog posts have focused on calling it Windows 10, then just mentioning for PC or for Mobile when appropriate.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows Mobile was the old line before Windows Phone 7. It still has good cach?.

Currently the OS is bifurcated: Desktop and Mobile versions.

I like it. Windows Mobile should make a comeback.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why people get hung up on *not* calling it Windows Phone. Windows Mobile to me still suggests a very small tablet without phone capabilities ie almost like the old PDA's for those old enough to remember.

I know why people don't want to call it Windows Phone because of what's going on, but I still prefer calling it Windows Phone so I know instantly what device in the ecosystem they are referring to differentiate them from larger tablets without carrier capability.

Of course one may argue they are going to merge anyway, but I am not so sure as it all depends on how people will still want to consume the internet or media in general. There is going to be a limit on the screen size of a phone to be practical yet I may still prefer to sit on my couch with a 10 or 12 inch device when browsing the web. Continuum won't be a replacement for that as you are limited to the room with the TV and I can't see us sporting 10 inch phones everywhere!

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Really it's a silly game of semantics and no reason to get excited. I'm not naming the OS, I'm describing the device. It's a phone running Windows. I don't have a problem calling it Windows Mobile or anything else, and smartphone is becoming redundant. Really nobody outside of tech nerds cares what it is called, and probably a very small percentage of tech nerds even care. Maybe one product guy at Microsoft really cares.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
What someone thinks of when they hear the word "mobile" will vary, that's why it's usually easier for people to say Windows Phone when talking specifically about smartphones.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
When asked about what I'm using, I'll say Windows Phone. Then 4 out of 5 people will follow with a remark "Oh, a Nokia phone!"... even now

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb