05-06-2016 05:12 PM
95 1234
tools
    Even though it doesn't apply to me (because I have 1+ TB space with that great Office deal) I always thought this downgrade to 5GB was bone head move (even with that convoluted apology that allows you to keep your current storage if you jump through a few hoops.) By most accounts most people don't even use 5GB before the move. But, the optics of this are just bad. I am sure Microsoft want to sell you the Office package or get you to buy more space. It is simply a problem that not providing 15Gb is not very competitive with Google and more than likely people will go elsewhere for storage or even move to another phone OS to get better base storage support. Let's not forget that Google also allows unlimited uploads of pictures. Unlimited photo space is probably a lot more useful to most people than document space tat Microsoft seems to think everyone is using. Microsoft always like to throw the baby out with the bath water. They should have just rewritten the terms of use for those taking advantage of the system and then banned them for violating the terms. Reneging on deals like unlimited or downgraded basic storage is not something you want people to remember you by. It breeds distrust current customers for any other systems your provides for free or deals you provide at a good cost that they will continue onward and be supported. More importantly it provides ammo for competitors and those ugly trolls that are walking around in woods at night.
    04-11-2016 01:35 PM
    So out of all the cloud base online storage which do you guys think offers the best value?
    I say Box still. It gives you a lot for free and you can do oh so many things with it. Has great plug ins too. Like Box for Ofice. Seems to be a power cloud. I know I've hardly tapped into the potential.
    04-11-2016 08:39 PM
    I had opted in for the 15 gb storage and i still got email that their dropping to 5GB, is there someone else who got this mail despite opting in ?

I don't remember whether I received a email or saw it on the web somewhere. I have one account for my wife and o e for myself. I know I opted in on both the accounts same day. My wife's is fine mine is getting reduced.

I contacted Microsoft via chat twice and by phone once over the weekend. Both chats ended with everyone is going to be reduced to 5GB and the phone call ended with if I can find a email from Microsoft to get back to them.

Well no email on either my wife's or my account so guess its to bad for me.

Wildb
    04-11-2016 08:54 PM
    the office 365 subscription is really a good one, even if it is pricey.
    Yeah, 1tb plus office apps for $99 a year. I feel like it's worth it, just a bit undecided still.
    04-12-2016 12:21 AM
    There's a real battle going on by cloud storage company's so...it will be interesting fight for the rights to store your data... I say bring it on
    RumoredNow and xandros9 like this.
    04-12-2016 01:31 AM
    I don't remember whether I received a email or saw it on the web somewhere. I have one account for my wife and o e for myself. I know I opted in on both the accounts same day. My wife's is fine mine is getting reduced.

I contacted Microsoft via chat twice and by phone once over the weekend. Both chats ended with everyone is going to be reduced to 5GB and the phone call ended with if I can find a email from Microsoft to get back to them.

Well no email on either my wife's or my account so guess its to bad for me.

Wildb
    well i too had a login chat going nowhere, to the extent that the customer care guy said onedrive bonus site as a third party site Wonering if @danrubino can post an article on this
    04-12-2016 01:33 AM
    Microsoft seem to be very confident that they can burn a major bridge and get the customers to comeback with some sought of promotion. This is good news to the other storage competitors including Google. This is luring customers then take away which then cause customers to have to solve an issue to save untold numbers of gigabytes of data. They are chasing them away and I doubt they will return because who would want to have go through another transition of massive database of data.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-12-2016 05:50 AM
    i have office 365 on auto renew. gives me 10TB. dont really care about GB lol
    04-12-2016 07:13 AM
    Microsoft seem to be very confident that they can burn a major bridge and get the customers to comeback with some sought of promotion. This is good news to the other storage competitors including Google. This is luring customers then take away which then cause customers to have to solve an issue to save untold numbers of gigabytes of data. They are chasing them away and I doubt they will return because who would want to have go through another transition of massive database of data.
    Meh.

Yes, they took away the unlimited storage (which, in reality) hadn't rolled out to many people anyhow. They rolled back the 15GB offer (which I believe was really only 7GB for new-ish customers anyway) to 5GB. They then emailed everyone affected, twice, giving them a heads up with a way to keep their additional free storage.

Here's the thing, most people didn't use more than 5GB anyway, and, AND, with the additional offers of bonus offers, Groove Music Pass and Office 365 storage everyone is pretty much covered anyway.

Sure, the situation was handled badly, no doubt, but the majority of people complaining their tits off do so without even being affected by the change.

I consider myself a fairly heavy user and I'm still only using 57GB. Granted, this is around 585GB less than I was using when I temporarily stored all my photos on OneDrive but...

The only change for me at the moment is that early next year my Office365 allocation will go down to 1TB from 10 and the Bing Bonus expires. Even then I'll be well within my limit. Hell, even if I reuploaded my photo collection I'd be safe.

onedrivestoragedebacle.png
    04-12-2016 07:25 AM
    I had opted in for the 15 gb storage and i still got email that their dropping to 5GB, is there someone else who got this mail despite opting in ?
    I did. I opted in in December and received the email that my storage is being reduced. :(
    04-12-2016 08:04 AM
    I did. I opted in in December and received the email that my storage is being reduced. :(
    I could be wrong, but I think you had to have over 5 GB of data on Onedrive back when you opted in. Or at least at some point to show that you needed the storage and that you were losing a service you had counted on by the change in policy. I opted in on all of my families accounts. 2 of the accounts had well over 5 GB of data on them and never received the letter about being reduced. The other 3 accounts received the letter about losing storage. 2 of those were never over 5 GBs and 1 I uploaded stuff to to put over 5 GB but didn't do it until well after I had opted in.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    04-12-2016 08:46 AM
    I could be wrong, but I think you had to have over 5 GB of data on Onedrive back when you opted in. Or at least at some point to show that you needed the storage and that you were losing a service you had counted on by the change in policy. I opted in on all of my families accounts. 2 of the accounts had well over 5 GB of data on them and never received the letter about being reduced. The other 3 accounts received the letter about losing storage. 2 of those were never over 5 GBs and 1 I uploaded stuff to to put over 5 GB but didn't do it until well after I had opted in.
    That does not seem to be the case in my situation. My wife is using less then 340mb and mine is at 3.99GB.

If there was a way to just switch my wife and I I would be happy. My wife doesn't even understand what OneDrive is that is why I feel like this is just wrong.

I am using my Dropbox account as my secondary backup now but really wanted to get away from anything Google related as much as possible.

Wildb
    04-12-2016 09:56 AM
    I just checked, I have 30gb. 29+ still avail. Google drive gave me 100gb free when I bought my 6p. Never even knew MS lowered it.
    04-12-2016 10:21 AM
    I am thinking whether or not you know that Microsoft had given OneDrive users about two months' time to prevent reduction in their storage space O.o I had 30GB of total OneDrive storage space before Microsoft announced its decision to reduce free storage and I still have 30GB after signing up for preventing the reduction. Or am I getting something wrong here?
    Absolutely agree with you.

The reduced free storage is for new users and those who don't need it. Otherwise everybody had 2 month to claim the need of the 30GB they had so far.
    04-12-2016 10:21 AM
    Nice of them. I have 4.8 GB used atm. I can't imagine my going over 5 GB. /s
    04-12-2016 12:17 PM
    For those of us who don't recall reading this email how do we know if we will be affected by this reduction? Currently, my account is showing 9.74 GB used of the available 30 GB. I get that we had a grace period to set things right, but it would be nice to have a way to confirm whether or not we need to transfer files without having to remember a particular email. So, I guess what I'm asking is if we indeed can confirm that now. Thanks!
    04-12-2016 12:47 PM
    For those of us who don't recall reading this email how do we know if we will be affected by this reduction? Currently, my account is showing 9.74 GB used of the available 30 GB. I get that we had a grace period to set things right, but it would be nice to have a way to confirm whether or not we need to transfer files without having to remember a particular email. So, I guess what I'm asking is if we indeed can confirm that now. Thanks!

In my case I received a email a few days ago stating my account was going to be reduced.

When I log into OneDrive and click on the link that says how much storage I have available (lower left corner of main page) it shows my storage and right next to it it says - valid through 7/13/2016.

Wildb
    04-12-2016 02:03 PM
    So out of all the cloud base online storage which do you guys think offers the best value?
    The problem is they change their value proposition at the drop of a hat. Im guessing Amazon is good at the moment, IMO the best one is the one you yourself have control over, would be faster too.
    04-12-2016 04:14 PM
    So if in my settings under space there is still 30gbs and nothing like one poster mentioned till some date (ex. 20.04.16) i will keep my 30 gbs? i dont remember if i did this action to keep storage.... i dont find anything in my mails.... also no "reduction mail". my question is did the reduction allready take place for ALL that will be affected? thanks in advance and sry for bad english, but its not my first language ;)
    04-12-2016 05:15 PM
    Luckily I still have 40GB for free.
    • 15GB from my free plan. I just checked it is still 15GB.
    • 15GB from cameral roll bonus.
    • 10GB from loyalty bonus.
    04-12-2016 07:54 PM
    Mine says 38 of 130Gbyte used, i wonder how I got so much ........
    04-12-2016 11:55 PM
    onedrive-storage.jpg

raycpl likes this.
    04-13-2016 12:39 AM
    Me thinks many have missed the email several months back on the changes... oh well..

I have 130GB (Free 15GB, Camera roll 15GB and Bing Bonus 100GB !!!)
    My usage is only 8.76GB, which is basically backup for camera and pictures, and several music albums.

Have absolutely no complains...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-13-2016 02:00 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	onedrive storage.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	125063

That is a lot of storage, lucky you. I had 10TB but when my 365 expired and I went to renew it, the storage defaulted to 1TB, I couldn't find a way to get that 10TB back
    04-13-2016 03:03 AM
    my exact same thoughts.
    04-13-2016 06:13 AM
95 1234