OneDrive goes from 15GB to 5GB

cosmicjourney

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm really annoyed that Microsoft is dropping one drive from 15GB to 5GB I have about 12GB stored with them so I have to move my data and store it elsewhere😠

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking whether or not you know that Microsoft had given OneDrive users about two months' time to prevent reduction in their storage space o_O I had 30GB of total OneDrive storage space before Microsoft announced its decision to reduce free storage and I still have 30GB after signing up for preventing the reduction. Or am I getting something wrong here?

Last edited:

cosmicjourney

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
It's news to me Deepak I just got a email today telling me about the reduction to 5gb I had no idea about it so how can I prepare when I have no info about this, beside 5gb is pathetic amount for 2016...

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I understand. Windows Central (and most other Microsoft news websites) had even posted an article about it well in advance. You must have missed it.

http://www.windowscentral.com/onedrive-users-can-keep-their-free-15gb-storage

And again on the second last day

http://www.windowscentral.com/janua...rives-15gb-free-storage-and-camera-roll-bonus

There's nothing you can do about it now, sadly. Only option is to buy the storage if you need it badly. OneDrive is quite cheap actually. Upon you anyways.

anachrotech

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I mentioned somewhere else on this site, that I received this email about the reduction this morning. I opted in to prevent the reduction in December and apparently that really didn't mean anything - at least for me.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Did they give you a option to prevent reduction from 15gb to 5gb? Also what storage provider are you guys using now...

Yes. There was an opt-out option, but the whole way the thing was handled was still scummy.

I moved to Dropbox/Box.net, Copy, but Copy shut down and I did have a short stint with Google Drive, but not my cup of tea. Box's 200 MB max file size was a pain too.

I currently use OneDrive now because it worked best, when it wasn't deleting my files and all, but I'm ticked.
I would definitely consider Dropbox. It's bulletproof and a de facto standard of sorts.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Is this for everyone? I haven't gotten any email yet. Shame.. I just started using One Drive, too.

Edit:
Is it related to this?
Microsoft shrinks OneDrive storage limits for some Office 365 customers | Computerworld

Of course, anytime something is given away for free, there's people that have to punish the giver. People really don't seem to like free stuff. Just because it's free, doesn't mean you have to upload the entire internet just to say you have 75TB worth of data out there.

I really can't blame Microsoft for this. From a business standpoint, people that abuse the 'free' service cost a significant amount of money compared to the average user who uses the service just to back up photos or a bit of data. People fail to realize that SOMEONE is paying for that space and bandwidth; consider how many thousands (maybe millions) of idiots took this to the extreme.. it probably cost Microsoft the equivalent of what the average persons' yearly gross income is; if not more.

Legally speaking, it's probably difficult to isolate such abusers without having a clause in the TOS; and even then, you'd still hear them whining "but it says unlimited!" just like with companies that offer "unlimited" hosting plans.

Last edited:

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
I thought the 5GB to 30GB is a promotion. I remember that I had to approve the promotion to get the free upgrade. Since it is a free promotion upgrade, then it is fair they can downgrade you to what you had before. I

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This was a huge issue some months back. This issue on uservoice got the most activity and MS had to apologise and give out alternatives

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm really busy must of missed the article

I'm not surprised that you might've missed it. I think unless you specifically searched for cloud tech, OneDrive or MS news a few months ago, you would not have heard about it. I know a few folks who have Surfaces, and they didn't know anything about it until I told them back in January.

cosmicjourney

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Well I can tell you I DO NOT abuse the system in fact I have about 1.5gb in use at the moment thats hardly any, but it would of been nice to have 15gb on tap instead of just 5. Microsoft keeps changing there minds all the time and it annoying....

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Well I can tell you I DO NOT abuse the system in fact I have about 1.5gb in use at the moment thats hardly any, but it would of been nice to have 15gb on tap instead of just 5. Microsoft keeps changing there minds all the time and it annoying....

well, since you've said they change their minds maybe they might change the decision again in the future :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786