Two new devices in a day?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Above all else, on what some call a 'dead' platform. Why would OEM's bother with something that the naysayers insist is dead, and jump ship?

Am I just optimistic, or am I deluded? Is this slowly building to bigger and better things? Are the ship jumpers right? Mind you, after getting a nexus tablet at the weekend, I have no idea as to why people jump to android, apart from apps. Marshmallow is awful! It is not a lot different from lollipop, all the icons, widgets are as they were. The most amusing thing was I turned it on and got 4 security and patch updates. I now remember why I gave up.

Anyways, are things slowly looking up for Windows 10 Mobile??

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The influx of OEMs to fill the vacuum left by Nokia is a very welcome signal.

Of course the Tech Blogs won't find anything click worthy in the news...

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I am not getting the sony. I cancelled that. I was using my android tablet this weekend, and ewwwww. can't do it. I wanted to do it for the apps, and wearable technology. but just cant. I am a bigger flip flopper than trump. ha ha ha. I do need my Note for square payment with my business, but I will just run that off wireless in my shop and not use it other wise.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Above all else, on what some call a 'dead' platform. Why would OEM's bother with something that the naysayers insist is dead, and jump ship?

Am I just optimistic, or am I deluded? Is this slowly building to bigger and better things? Are the ship jumpers right? Mind you, after getting a nexus tablet at the weekend, I have no idea as to why people jump to android, apart from apps. Marshmallow is awful! It is not a lot different from lollipop, all the icons, widgets are as they were. The most amusing thing was I turned it on and got 4 security and patch updates. I now remember why I gave up.

Anyways, are things slowly looking up for Windows 10 Mobile??
To be fair this is a bit of a honeymoon period. If those same OEMs are still producing Windows Phone devices (hopefully along with others) this time next year then I think we can finally say things are looking good :excited:

This will no doubt be tied into the universal app situation. If that hasn't improved sufficiently by then, it will have a knock on effect to the OEMs in that if they don't sell enough then they will lose interest.

However, if we finally get the promised (better be fully featured!) Starbucks app then it's all over for iOS and Android :winktongue:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
To be fair this is a bit of a honeymoon period. If those same OEMs are still producing Windows Phone devices (hopefully along with others) this time next year then I think we can finally say things are looking good :excited:

This will no doubt be tied into the universal app situation. If that hasn't improved sufficiently by then, it will have a knock on effect to the OEMs in that if they don't sell enough then they will lose interest.

However, if we finally get the promised (better be fully featured!) Starbucks app then it's all over for iOS and Android :winktongue:

I can't drink coffee, so Starbucks isn't a retailer I've used, but any apps are welcome.

My problem is that I am an eternal optimist. On top of this the Windows Phone label *needs* to go. Actually, the 'phone' has to go. When you see devices like the ZTE with built in projectors and in a very small form, the phone we know and love has the potential to morph into something greater, and that is where the whole WaaS program has the upper hand, it's ecosystem is way ahead of other OS's. Apple would be the major competitor with it's own ecosystem. Maybe that's why the bridge for iOS is being pushed??? Then again, I could be off my trolley!! Right off to polish my RGV250 ;-)

SoCoolMom

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to say I've finally decided Enough! I'm a 50 year old mom and I've tried to advocate the windows phone for years, and I can't even sell it to myself anymore. Windows is the only kind of smart phone I've ever used. I had a Zune when everyone else had iPods. I use groove when there are so many other services. But I'm done and it makes me sad. Everything I use now disappoints me. The only thing I'll miss is my live screen. Two more months on contract then I'm an iPhone owner who has a product that works with apps that I want. 😢

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I can't drink coffee, so Starbucks isn't a retailer I've used, but any apps are welcome.

My problem is that I am an eternal optimist. On top of this the Windows Phone label *needs* to go. Actually, the 'phone' has to go. When you see devices like the ZTE with built in projectors and in a very small form, the phone we know and love has the potential to morph into something greater, and that is where the whole WaaS program has the upper hand, it's ecosystem is way ahead of other OS's. Apple would be the major competitor with it's own ecosystem. Maybe that's why the bridge for iOS is being pushed??? Then again, I could be off my trolley!! Right off to polish my RGV250 ;-)
I'll admit I go to Starbucks more than I should but funny enough I can't drink their regular coffee as it's too strong!:

I think you're right to be optimistic about the direction they are going, but the problem is I don't think it's going to be relevant for regular customers in the way Android and iOS currently are. I think for Windows Phone (or mobile enthusiasts as they will now be called?) it could be an exciting time, as long as it pans out of course, but for the regular phone user there isn't enough to keep them in the ecosystem. That may finally change, but since the focus isn't on the phone portion of the mobile ecosystem, so they're going to move away. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

I'm planning to keep my foot in the door for the time being as like you I do have some optimism although I like to refer to myself as at optimistic pessimist or would it be a pessimistic optimist? :grin:

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to say I've finally decided Enough! I'm a 50 year old mom and I've tried to advocate the windows phone for years, and I can't even sell it to myself anymore. Windows is the only kind of smart phone I've ever used. I had a Zune when everyone else had iPods. I use groove when there are so many other services. But I'm done and it makes me sad. Everything I use now disappoints me. The only thing I'll miss is my live screen. Two more months on contract then I'm an iPhone owner who has a product that works with apps that I want. 😢
I cannot say I blame you. Windows Phone can be likened to an Exotic Sports car in that it may be enjoyable to use but personally you feel like you're giving up some creature comforts etc. You put up with this for so long because you really do like your car, but in the end the novelty eventually begins to wear off. It's not like you don't still find that car enjoyable to drive but that you realize that many modern Sedan's provide the creature comforts while also being fairly enjoyable to drive. Of course, as the classic phrase goes YMMV.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry to say I've finally decided Enough! I'm a 50 year old mom and I've tried to advocate the windows phone for years, and I can't even sell it to myself anymore. Windows is the only kind of smart phone I've ever used. I had a Zune when everyone else had iPods. I use groove when there are so many other services. But I'm done and it makes me sad. Everything I use now disappoints me. The only thing I'll miss is my live screen. Two more months on contract then I'm an iPhone owner who has a product that works with apps that I want. ��

All I can say is that it is unfortunate that the apps situation has let you down. When apps didn't matter so much a couple of years back, windows phone had promise. Now it still does though the apps situation can seem like an anchor dragging one under the surface

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss