05-10-2016 03:51 PM
331 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Here in Europe the price of Lumia 950XL used to be 699€, now it's close to 400€. What's the point of placing a sky high price tag on the phone if there are only few customers who are gonna buy that phone with that price (and then afterwards drop the price almost at half) when you could put the price tag of 400€ there right away and maybe gain some more market share in this difficult situation???
    I just read today that Microsoft has lowered the price of the Lumia 950XL in China to 699 RMB which is about 110 USD. Unfortunately I couldn't confirm that price, maybe someone else knows more about it.
    04-28-2016 12:11 PM
    I don't think that UWP apps is the MS salvation, because lets be honest, how many of you will use an app on the xbox? or how many of you need an app on the pc when you already have a browser? that "UWP is for billions of user" is a lie, if so, all the developers will be running to W10 and W10M but any of them really cares
    sf49ers likes this.
    04-28-2016 12:18 PM
    Actually, I'm waiting for a couple of apps to hit the Xbox ONE.

Emby - The open media solution for example.

I already own it and use it on PC / Mobile and with MS discontinuing Windows Media Center and stopping production of the 360, I have no viable media solution without Emby. I loathe plex.
    04-28-2016 12:23 PM
    I really wish they would stop asking this question. The answer is NO. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. No matter how many times you ask this question, the answer is NO.
    What question?
    04-28-2016 01:37 PM
    I use plenty of apps on my desktop and tablet to be honest. Nextgen reader, Twitter, Mindapp, Mail, Agenda, Forecast, mobile Word/PowerPoint, Netflix and Wunderlist. I can use all of these on my phone as well. Haven't touched my Xiaomi Mi 5 since the latest redstone builds on my 950XL (seriously, its pretty sweet atm).

So some people might not use any apps on desktop, but there's plenty of people that do use them. I rather use these apps on my 8" tablet then going into my browser on that tiny screen. I see plenty of use on Xbox as well for UWP.

I also have no use for tons of bookmarks in all honestly. I have plenty as it is, being a researcher

But no, W10M ain't dying, can we please stop the constant 'death wishing'?
    wmuser likes this.
    04-28-2016 01:44 PM
    Actually, I'm waiting for a couple of apps to hit the Xbox ONE.

Emby - The open media solution for example.

I already own it and use it on PC / Mobile and with MS discontinuing Windows Media Center and stopping production of the 360, I have no viable media solution without Emby. I loathe plex.
    This one recently came to my attention: Discover the Features - MEDIAPORTAL

Have not tried it yet. Maybe it will fit your needs?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-28-2016 01:44 PM
    is not getting better either.
    04-28-2016 02:40 PM
    Yes but I doubt I'll see a Surface at my work place or a 2 in 1 any time soon. Innovation like that is great for consumers.
    I don't know in what business you are working, but I see them showing up more and more (not only CEO's)
    It's light (compared with a workhorse like a HP EliteBook) and almost every company I visit ( as an IT consultant) have plug-in desks with a screen, keyboard and mouse these days.

I don't want to sound rude, but in all honesty, I think you are underestimating the succes of the surface devices.
    04-28-2016 02:40 PM
    I don't know in what business you are working, but I see them showing up more and more (not only CEO's)
    It's light (compared with a workhorse like a HP EliteBook) and almost every company I visit ( as an IT consultant) have plug-in desks with a screen, keyboard and mouse these days.

I don't want to sound rude, but in all honesty, I think you are underestimating the succes of the surface devices.
    The only 2 in 1s at my work place are BYOD. The company owned computers are all 5+ year old desktops which just got updated from XP to W7.

All of the cell phones at work are also BYOD. Windows Mobile isn't supported by enough apps at the moment to make it a viable product at work.
    04-28-2016 09:05 PM
    Yes, in my opinion, Windows Mobile is dead. Too many issues with lack of apps, and the apps that are there don't work half the time. I can't submit comments in the forums from my Windows Central app, I can't upload images properly with Facebook app. Smartthings app is buggy. My bank doesn't support it, I take my kids to museums etc. and there are apps for everything but Windows Phone. I'm on Verizon so I bought an Icon a few months ago and Microsoft and/or Verizon screw me and I'm not getting updates any longer.

I'm going to end up with my first Android phone since Windows Phone 7.
    04-28-2016 09:29 PM
    I think that what MS should do is copy what android did, let as many companies made windows phones even if they are just crap. That way more people will eventually have windows phone and developers won't have any other choice than to make some apps

Enviado desde mTalk
    04-28-2016 11:02 PM
    I don't think that UWP apps is the MS salvation, because lets be honest, how many of you will use an app on the xbox? or how many of you need an app on the pc when you already have a browser? that "UWP is for billions of user" is a lie, if so, all the developers will be running to W10 and W10M but any of them really cares
    I use YouTube on Xbox all the time. I also use Hulu and Groove on Xbox as well. I'd use Facebook as the web browser experience on Xbox sucks. Apps can provide a vastly superior experience in some cases, especially where repeated logins are an issue. What I mean by that is apps will save the login info and auto log me in, whereas the web browser will not.

I would like apps for my computer for Live Tiles. A live tile that shows the weather forecast, your balance on starbucks, or when your Uber is expected to arrive or to Shazam the song in the caf while I'm typing away.

I don't need an app on my PC but I see the Live Tiles as a reason I won't have to open an app ever again. The information comes to me. Android uses Widgets for that, Apple has their 3D Touch, Microsoft has Live Tiles that are leagues ahead of both of those other implementations. The sooner people realize that is the future, the sooner devs get on board.

Speaking of which, developers not jumping on it doesn't mean it isn't the best solution. Car manufacturers didn't start making hybrids and electric vehicles en masse until the Toyota Prius started selling like hotcakes. They are happy to keep selling you the same old thing, whether its the best option for you or not, until you finally stop giving them money for it.

What is the truly innovative thing that iPhone and Android phones have brought to the table in the last few years? They are still dumb launching boards for throwaway apps with more memory and ever faster processors. That's it. They haven't made anyone more productive on their own. Sure they have all these apps, but why do people keep shelling out more and more money each year for these devices without any real innovation in return?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-28-2016 11:33 PM
    I just read today that Microsoft has lowered the price of the Lumia 950XL in China to 699 RMB which is about 110 USD. Unfortunately I couldn't confirm that price, maybe someone else knows more about it.
    Yes please, if someone knows about it, please let us know!

If someone would offer me 950XL with the price of 110 USD (or even 210-310 USD), I'd purchase it immediately! But with its original price: no way!

I had a chance to test Lumia 950XL for two weeks (offer made by Microsoft). Brilliant phone but IMO not worth of its original price. But neither are iPhone 6S nor Samsung S7 Edge...
    Last edited by Sensonic; 04-29-2016 at 05:40 AM.
    04-29-2016 12:45 AM
    I suspect those that don't use a touch screen with windows 10 feel there is no need for apps. If you have a portable pc with a touch screen you would have a different opinion. I have a full pc at home and find I don't use he apps anywhere near as often as I do on my SP3. While using the SP3 apps are my go to spot while catching up on everything happening in the world. BTW has anyone else tried going back to using a mac after having a touchscreen pc utterly frustrating trying to get things happening pocking the screen 😂
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-29-2016 02:20 AM
    Microsoft has Live Tiles that are leagues ahead of both of those other implementations. The sooner people realize that is the future, the sooner devs get on board.
    Microsofts sales will blow up when people realize that live tiles are future?!? I tell you something. Look Sonys, LGs, HTCs... sales. Even Apple is going down. Now you suggest that live tiles will be the answer to take over the worlds mobilemarkets. You really should be sales and marketing manager in some big company. "We will made live tiles and conquer the world". That sounds more like Pinky and the Brain than solving real problems of MSs mobilesales.

What is the truly innovative thing that iPhone and Android phones have brought to the table in the last few years? They are still dumb launching boards for throwaway apps with more memory and ever faster processors. That's it. They haven't made anyone more productive on their own. Sure they have all these apps, but why do people keep shelling out more and more money each year for these devices without any real innovation in return?
    Look at the computers, Windows and Office in last two decades. What innovations you see? Only things that have been made are faster processors and more memory. Still they sell pretty well. MS have been selling same Win95 and same Office with very little developments, mainly cosmetic changes, year after year last two decades.

Live tiles are not something new and innovative that will raise MS mobilemarkets. Neither are 3D touch or continuum. Hololens, maybe; but more likely they will be rolled over by VR-glasses.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-29-2016 02:56 AM
    Hi Guys, writing from Italy just to share some thoughts.... Just bought a Lumia 640 Lte after several months of checking into Forums and blogs about this device and W10Mobile in general...... What a waste of time.....I do not know if it was just luck or a super correct installation with updates (curently running on .218 no Insider programs) This is the most amazing SO I have ever experienced (coming from 2 years of L630 and 2 years of Samsung at the beginning) It's all so smooth and gorgeous. Of course I do not play much with many appsand games like maybe most of you do, and by the way my life changed so nicely ever since I learnt to use Facebook via Edge (wich also run fantastic on my Lumia) I would probably not reccomend W10 to any Heavy App power user but this phone with W10 works like a glory for every day common usage (Email, calls, Whatsapp,camera) And I'm reading tons of articles these days about app developments for W10 way more than the competion who issue app updates on daily basis (updates...ehrm...) I'm sorry about this but I just wanted to speak out a bit after months of rivers of tears about this SO. It's fantastic....!!! Bravo MS....
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-29-2016 03:40 AM
    You are looking at it with the eyes of an Apple/Android user. The vision from Microsoft with UWP is the other way around, they do not have a widely spread mobile platform, but they have a big desktop platform userbase (and no, not everything is usable/available as a website ). The point is: a lot of applications will be re-written (be it tomorrow, next week, next year), not all but alot. With UWP the developer has the opportunity to have the application available on all devices that are running Windows 10 - whatever the user may use as his prefered device.

Why does Google now suddenly let Android apps being run on ChromeOS, does that OS not have a browser?
    Last edited by Stef8600; 04-29-2016 at 07:24 AM.
    CherokeeTX and wmuser like this.
    04-29-2016 07:05 AM
    Hololens, maybe; but more likely they will be rolled over by VR-glasses.
    I'd prefer Hololens.
    The reason why: VR is just a plain old video game that puts you in the middle of it, while the Hololens puts the game right there where you are. With Hololens you can safely walk around, without tumbling over chairs and other stuff that lays around on the floor.

So I have Reality and Virtual Reality, 2 in 1.
    We all know what happens when Microsoft launches 2 in 1's.;-)
    wmuser likes this.
    04-29-2016 07:19 AM
    Microsofts sales will blow up when people realize that live tiles are future?!? I tell you something. Look Sonys, LGs, HTCs... sales. Even Apple is going down. Now you suggest that live tiles will be the answer to take over the worlds mobilemarkets. You really should be sales and marketing manager in some big company. "We will made live tiles and conquer the world". That sounds more like Pinky and the Brain than solving real problems of MSs mobilesales.

Look at the computers, Windows and Office in last two decades. What innovations you see? Only things that have been made are faster processors and more memory. Still they sell pretty well. MS have been selling same Win95 and same Office with very little developments, mainly cosmetic changes, year after year last two decades.
    Well I see UWP coming. That's definitely an innovation. Universal apps - seen them anywhere before? Have you seen anything like Windows Hello built in a device before? Have you seen anyone using an Apple or Android device as their desktop computer anywhere before?
    I think that's enough of MS innovations, if you need more, let me know.
    CherokeeTX likes this.
    04-29-2016 08:15 AM
    Most commentators [Paul, Mary Jo etc] have concluded Windows Mobile 10 is going backwards. Not as fluid and fresh as WP8.1.

So Microsoft are going in the wrong direction. Developers are not interested in UWP and Consumers will not be interested in an Intel based 'Surface Phone'. That is just for the fanboys.

When both Paul and Mary Jo admit they have deserted the Windows Phone, you really know its game over.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-29-2016 11:16 AM
    You are looking at it with the eyes of an Apple/Android user. The vision from Microsoft with UWP is the other way around, they do not have a widely spread mobile platform, but they have a big desktop platform userbase (and no, not everything is usable/available as a website ). The point is: a lot of applications will be re-written (be it tomorrow, next week, next year), not all but alot. With UWP the developer has the opportunity to have the application available on all devices that are running Windows 10 - whatever the user may use as his prefered device.

Why does Google now suddenly let Android apps being run on ChromeOS, does that OS not have a browser?
    ^This. A thousand times this.

I am switching from Apple to MS because I believe UWP is the future (see my previous posts). Mobile devices are powerful enough now to run most desktop software (see upcoming HP Elite x3) and one OS is the right move. Apple has a great ecosystem, but I grew tired of having an app on the iPhone, but not on the iPad, or on those, but not on the ATV (which is an iPhone 6 without the screen). And then you can buy that app again if you want it on your Mac. THAT is not the future of personal computing, IMHO.

Is W10 and WM10 perfect? No, but they getting better at a rapid pace. I'll suffer through the growing pains to be on board with what I believe is the future, just as I did with my iPhone 3GS through 6s.
    wmuser likes this.
    04-29-2016 11:42 AM
    When both Paul and Mary Jo admit they have deserted the Windows Phone, you really know its game over.
    I think you have to look at the bubble Tech Bloggers live in though. Rightly or wrongly, their view is skewed way more than the average Joe or Jane.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-29-2016 11:45 AM

Yeah, maybe I'm looking it with apple eyes, but, ok I'll admit that some apps are welcome to the uwp family, like Netflix, I use it a lot on my one and on my surface, but most of the apps have no chance if they are going to Xbox, or even a pc, the amount of apps that people will actually use on the Xbox or the pc is tiny, and tiny is a nice word. And In the pc area, most of that millions pc that MS is saying that have w10 is old pc with no touchscreen, maybe in the surface uwp can work great but I'm the rest of the pc they are just getting ignore

Enviado desde mTalk
    04-29-2016 12:01 PM
    I used to believe that I didn't need apps because I had a browser and that still might be true to an extent. Apps are everywhere from tablets, to phones to Roku and apple tv. apps are far easier and faster to use than using a browser. I have even used apps on my laptop lately, it's too easy to just open Netflix and watch instead of having to open a browser first.
    libra89 and Jeddic like this.
    04-29-2016 12:21 PM
    Universal means that it is the same everywhere. A phone, tablet, desktop, or laptop with the same system like Windows 10 means that what you do on one can be accessed from the others. I have a desktop with 10 on it and I use apps all the time for several different things that I usually do with my browser. I really like to read the news and having a news app gives me the same stories I would find on the Bing news in my browser. I use the browser a lot because I use Bing and I get rewards just for surfing the net.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-29-2016 12:43 PM
331 ... 89101112 ...