Is windows mobile really dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
This thinking that apps isn't the problem is the problem, if you don't have software to run on your hardware than all you have is hardware.

Fred_EM

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile is not dying.

It is just snoring loudly as it sleeps the sleep of the just.

Just kidding.

Next spring (in 2017 that is) someone will wake up Windows 10 Mobile
and the world will see what it has dreamed up.

:sweaty:

parkaerin

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
It seems that windows mobile is having more and more problems to win some market share, I love windows mobile(and phone), but for some reasons it looks like fans love it more than even Microsoft does, we don't see almost any marketing trying to explain what they expect from the W10M future. I really hopes that the surface phone can change all this.

We just love it for what it is now and what it will be in the future. Still use my W10M device.

MF910

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm very sorry to read all those comments with the same style. "I'm switching platforms", "Windows Mobile is dying", "My IPad tells me I'm beautiful, and the Surface 4 tells me that I'm 'kinda o.k. but seriously should take care of my skin' and I'm not happy with the result."

Well, let me tell you something: go. If you don't like it, go away. The efforts of other platforms to portray WM10 as a non-growing platform, make the ripple effect into the wrong brains: it grows, it is solid and it will keep on growing. Every person who looks at my phone - even if they have their Iphone 6+ in hand - go "wow" at it. And my OS is not yet finished. It has better connectivity than any other bloody MAC and it works wonders in several aspects.

Is WM or Windows 10 perfect? no. Have you seen the las Mac OS update? They are the Fisherprice of computing, drafted, engenieered and fabricated for mentally challenged users.

Marketing (my profesion, by the way) has been lying to users all along, and will continue to. No matter how much better Windows is, only few people will see it. However, thanks to Nadella and his great work, we will see a shift in public opinion, that is already happening.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm very sorry to read all those comments with the same style. "I'm switching platforms", "Windows Mobile is dying", "My IPad tells me I'm beautiful, and the Surface 4 tells me that I'm 'kinda o.k. but seriously should take care of my skin' and I'm not happy with the result."

Well, let me tell you something: go. If you don't like it, go away. The efforts of other platforms to portray WM10 as a non-growing platform, make the ripple effect into the wrong brains: it grows, it is solid and it will keep on growing. Every person who looks at my phone - even if they have their Iphone 6+ in hand - go "wow" at it. And my OS is not yet finished. It has better connectivity than any other bloody MAC and it works wonders in several aspects.

Is WM or Windows 10 perfect? no. Have you seen the las Mac OS update? They are the Fisherprice of computing, drafted, engenieered and fabricated for mentally challenged users.

Marketing (my profesion, by the way) has been lying to users all along, and will continue to. No matter how much better Windows is, only few people will see it. However, thanks to Nadella and his great work, we will see a shift in public opinion, that is already happening.

My thoughts exactly!

Tsarli

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The efforts of other platforms to portray WM10 as a non-growing platform, make the ripple effect into the wrong brains.

You make it sound like there's a conspiracy of some sort. These "other platforms" don't have to do anything to "portray" Windows Mobile 10.

What is happening is nothing short of self-immolation. Prioritizing iOS and Android app development over it's own platform?! Do we blame Apple and Google, a.k.a "other platforms" for that?

CherokeeTX

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
No, WM10 is not dying.

First, my quote from the switching platforms thread as I am coming from the Apple ecosystem to Windows:

".....I believe they have the right idea in the 'one OS to rule them all' approach.

And I don't believe they are abandoning WM10, it is evolving. Soon, I think it will just be labelled as Windows 10. The mobile devices are powerful enough to run it for mid-level tasks. One could look no further then the HP Elite X3 due out this summer. That 'phone' could very well be the only computer a lot of people need. And there is no way HP puts in that much R&D into a product (including 30 Fortune 500 companies assisting with evaluation) without knowing the long-term plans for Windows."

To that I will add:

As for those upset the MS is somehow focusing on other platforms, they are not. They are working on them, yes, but not focusing. That is just good business sense to get they service products to the 95%+ of other mobile users. And don't forget that new Builds of WM drop pretty frequently. Much more frequently then new beta builds for iOS developers.

IMHO, WM will merge with Windows 10 next year, be one OS, will run and damn near anything, and eventually solve a lot more problems then it creates. I am literally betting my iPhone 6s, iPad Pro, and Mac on it. (selling them off after I receive the 950s I ordered and pick up my Surface Pro 4 this weekend).

atuarre

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I heard when Nadella came on board, he was not particulary fond of Windows Mobile Phone or the Xbox divisions. Take that any way you want.

Bobs Your Uncle

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I heard when Nadella came on board, he was not particulary fond of Windows Mobile Phone or the Xbox divisions. Take that any way you want.
Given his background in Azure & Cloud, that statement reflects a not unreasonable, very general view. People are typically favorable toward that which they know.

At the same time, it's not a position that is necessarily antagonistic toward any specific line of business, including Xbox & mobile. It's all too evident that industry trends are decidedly emphasizing support for mobility across pretty much any service offering where it's practical. And since it's Nadella's strength in Cloud that's supporting & driving expansion of mobile functionalities, I'm sure he's keenly aware of the critical role that mobile plays.

It might well be that Nadella's insights on Cloud allow(ed) him to recognize shortcomings in core OS & mobile offerings (especially at the time of his appointment) that require(ed) realignment to ultimately strengthen Cloud integration, & that any criticisms he held were rooted in that understanding. (I really have no idea; that's simply speculation).

Long story short: Nadella definitely does not embrace the Elop mindset that (when campaigning for the CEO spot) publicly favored dumping both Bing & Xbox. (I mean, I'm just "some guy" & even I was incredulous at the abject stupidity of jettisoning Bing. And whatever anyone thinks about Xbox ... I'm not a gamer ... it's hard not to recognize that it's a valuable feeder into the broader ecosystem).

skunkdancing

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I have a 930 running on 8.1 and a 950 xl. Couldn't wait to get it when it came out. Now, almost 5 months later, the only thing I like about it is the camera, which is fabulous. But I sure wish it would also run on 8.1. But probably that would be the end of the great camera.
Half the time internet won't work and I have to switch to the 930 to open a link. Half my emails look awful, whilst they look fine on the 930. Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy another phone outright at the moment, otherwise I would have been long gone from WM10!

Maybe Windows Mobile isn't dead nor dying, but it surely is NOT alive either!

And like any baby in a womb, that is where it should have remained until it was fully grown. But no, people have had to pay big bucks for an undeveloped foetal 950 - 950XL

Last edited by a moderator:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Also, if that is your home screen layout... no wonder you get little live tile info. So many tiny sized icons and many are pushed into groupings.
That will kill the live tile experience.

BTW, I hope that is KING JAMES Bible on your home screen. :)

That was just one of the image searches I could find showing all 3 OSes and how they are starting to join together. I carry my leather bound KJB with gold leaf so that everyone can see how pious I am.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
True. They exist ... on Android. But then you have a PC so you need to pay the applications twice, they are not the same, with different UI, settings, way of working so it is a mess.

Well, let's see what the future will be but if you are comparing today a Chromebook to a Windows 10 PC...

I really doubt that Chromebook will take off all of a sudden. Also, I have no idea how Google is planning on implementing the android apps on chrome. They could just make the apps into a window and let you install on any device you are logged into your google account. They could charge you twice for apps.

The only point of my post is that whatever takes the least amount of effort will be easiest to implement.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I really like WP, haven't tried W10M since it's not coming to my phone, but at this stage, without some key apps I use, I'm not too fussed.

With that said, I really think that what MS needs to do is settle down. WP/WM is on its third kernal. There was large outcry and they squandered a lot of good will from early adopters with the WP7 to WP8 change. The problem this causes isn't exclusively for users either, developers are left out to dry as a result, and we're seeing a lot of it repeat this time.

How many are going to port their apps over to W10M now? Are they going to support their WP8 apps now that the platform is dead and not receiving support from MS? I know of a few apps that have shut down, or not moved to W10M. What has gotten me so worried this time is that apps are going, developers are going. This is really bad for a platform which has big problems with an app gap.

At this stage, I really think MS needs to project a sense of stability with the platform! The cosmetic changes, a lot of them are pointless; change for changes sake... It's basically a case of just when they're about to hit their stride, they give up and change direction. Now it's a much more difficult task getting on message, since everywhere the community is basically saying the platform is dead/dying, and as if developers are interested in having a go with a failed platform.

They're saying next year will be the year. Sounding awfully like the tired cliche; 'the year of the linux desktop'. In MS defence the UWP sounds like a decent plan, but... and this is a big but with the severely damaging talk of a dead platform (and we have seen some damage control articles around this already) I think they need to worry about it sooner. They need to change the message, and work on making the platform viable now! No one's going to bother coding for UWP if they don't think there will be some return for it.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Look Microsoft pushed an update to it's dying platform.. those idjits, can't they see it's dead... ugh

I don't think it's a matter of support from MS that's the problem, it's the talk of a dying platform. Whether it's dead or not, is a subjective matter, but what is undeniable is that in the tech media, and from regular users, there is a perception that the platform is dying, and this perception has been morphing into a contagion where there's more articles about it. The reason it's bad is because it gives a really solid reason for consumers and developers to look elsewhere.

I commented in the switching platforms thread about it, you look at the start, the thread began in 2012, it was posts about people trying out WP and asking questions about it, since they wanted to give WP a go. The thread has found a much larger second life this year, and it's all the other way, WP/W10M users now looking at leaving the platform.

It's quite clear that the phone is large significance for MS, as google is on the same path trying to unify android with chromeOS. If Google succeeds, that would mean a severe drift from windows on desktop, which would have obviously bad consequences for MS. It's covered in the 'Smartphones are dead p.3' article. So while MS may really really really want the platform to succeed, and still support it with updates, it doesn't change that the perception out in the wild is that the platform is dead/dying/stasis or whatever.

I just think that MS has had a really incoherent product over the last few years, by chopping and changing the platform so much and they need to change that image, they need to make the platform stand out as a viable alternative. That isn't going to happen while tech communities are arguing whether the platform is dead or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss