Is windows mobile really dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
In other words.. now we play the "waiting game" :confused:

My waiting game is almost over :crying:

Last week I received an e-mail from Microsoft stating that they want to reduce my OneDrive cloud space capacity from 30Gb to 5 Gb.
I've had Developer's account and been using Windows Phones since 2006 (staring from HTC TyTn II). Now it seems that there are no new exciting Windows phones with unbelievable specs coming up/out anymore and thus the future of the whole Windows Phone is looking very dark indeed.

Google Drive still provides 15Gb of free cloud space capacity for free and there are great Android phones coming up (such as Zopo Speed 8) with reasonable prices so I think I'm gonna purchase that one and leave Windows Phone for good.

That's a really tough and painful decision for me but like I said, Microsoft want to reduce my OneDrive cloud space capacity and there won't be any new "out of this world" Windows Phones coming up in the near future, so IMO the OS is dying very slowly :crying:

If I remember correctly, Windows does have a patent for dual booting phones, i.e. Android and Windows on the same phone so that's what they should do ASAP! A phone like dual SIM cards but with dual OS. Then the purchasers could use Windows @ their work and Android @ their free time. Sounds reasonable?

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
My waiting game is almost over :crying:

Last week I received an e-mail from Microsoft stating that they want to reduce my OneDrive cloud space capacity from 30Gb to 5 Gb.
I've had Developer's account and been using Windows Phones since 2006 (staring from HTC TyTn II). Now it seems that there are no new exciting Windows phones with unbelievable specs coming up/out anymore and thus the future of the whole Windows Phone is looking very dark indeed.

Google Drive still provides 15Gb of free cloud space capacity for free and there are great Android phones coming up (such as Zopo Speed 8) with reasonable prices so I think I'm gonna purchase that one and leave Windows Phone for good.

That's a really tough and painful decision for me but like I said, Microsoft want to reduce my OneDrive cloud space capacity and there won't be any new "out of this world" Windows Phones coming up in the near future, so IMO the OS is dying very slowly :crying:

If I remember correctly, Windows does have a patent for dual booting phones, i.e. Android and Windows on the same phone so that's what they should do ASAP! A phone like dual SIM cards but with dual OS. Then the purchasers could use Windows @ their work and Android @ their free time. Sounds reasonable?

Wasn't there a time limit to secure the GB though?, or you lose it. Id imagine a lot of people got caught out like that, I remember clicking the link just in time to keep the GB. The storage is very important with windows phone as i like Photo's backed up, so i can see how that wouldn't be such a good move by Msoft.

ZoneofJhay

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
The irony though is that Microsoft is one of the most active in-terms of working on their software be it the desktop, mobile and tablet section. Yeah sure the hardware area for the mobile is on hiatus but its hard to say that MS is giving up on it when its software is just as actively being develop and improve like its desktop and tablet counterpart being that they are all united. Personally, I haven't own a Windows Phone(only desktops, laptops and a tablet) but I have a lot of hopes for Windows Mobile and will be picking one up as a secondary phone when things get rolling again for the mobile division.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Just saying that today I got updates for all of the MS apps (Outlook Mail and Calendar, Office, Weather, Sports...). I'm on Insider fast ring, build .14328. It doesn't seem to be dying really with all of the updates of these :wink:

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
For me for now yes, it is dead. I held on for almost 6 years. Part of what killed it is MS themselves. I have had 2 phones for a long time for business, both used to be WP. I had to have SquareUp, so last year I went to an IPhone for work. I bought the 950 sight unseen. Had nothing but hardware issues with it. The only thing that ws keeping me clinging to WM was the camera, which almost all flagships have caught up to or surpassed. The other was Zune software. For some unknown reason, instead of keeping Zune and all its features and just rebrand it, just cannot understand it and have never been given any reason why. Not only did their "New" music software totally screw up my music collection, see windows 8 forced cloud matching service, they broke something that was already fixed. So after my second 950 had a screen wont respond issue, ATT is sending me an S6 no charge for which im very grateful. IMO, if the rumored Surface phone doesn't run android apps it will be DOA as a phone. Its really sad about zune, now I'm gonna have to figure out a new Music service, I was thinking of Spotify premium and Amazon for purchases. Oh yea, one more thing, Groove music still wont let me DL some songs I own on playlists to my IPhone!!! Garbage....

dodi779

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
of course this is the reaction of most people, but then again if you give it some time, relax and make some clear thoughts of the happennings, you have to see all the things they try to get us satisfied. More precise I believe we are talking about the app gap, numerous attempts have been made by MS to sort the problem out. the only thing most people are interested in, is to see the end results RIGHT NOW. unfortunetely it is not happening, and we are still left out of the game.

I believe one of these attempts will finally make it through, and at some point and time we will be an equal competitor for Apple and Android.

BTW, MS made the android apps running on WP, but apperaently this was never used officialy, but in reality the apps are running in develop mode with one small change in the settings - plus you can only install apps from PC connected to your mobile.

another example of their efforts is Xamarin - one developer tool for android, ios and win -, and I believe we could name a lot of more positive things, but fact is... we still got no apps.

my problem is, i love the interface too much, I can see a lot going on within MS to make us happy, and I can only hope that we'll really make it sooner than later. I'm not leaving behind what I love the most about this phone - live tiles :D

good luck with any other os, maybe you get back to MS stuff when things are running

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
the only thing most people are interested in, is to see the end results RIGHT NOW. unfortunetely it is not happening, and we are still left out of the game.

Above regarding ending the app gap.

The only problem for me with this patience argument is that windows mobile is 16 years old and I personally have been waiting for the app gap to close for 6 years which is not impatient.

For me it wasn't the app gap that caused my dissatisfaction. It really was my need of a new phone now (broken phone had to be replaced) and a bad experience with w10m and the 950xl. It was hard to see things get much worse and then to wait for things to improve with no way to know if that meant waiting weeks or years.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Do you mind posting a printscreen? :)

I need some ideas to improve mine

I don't have a current one posted. Keep in mind that screenshots never look as good as when you're looking on a 1440x2560 amoled screen. Below is a link to a thread here, keep in mind these are from different versions of phones. But it shows how much customization can be done.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/340515-share-your-w10m-start-screens-backgrounds.html

Here's one that an MS employee did.

image3.jpg

Another one by same person

image2.jpg

And a few from a reddit thread in one shot

image.jpg

Here's mine. It's sort of plain for what I usually do. But at this moment i want everything on my start screen and don't want to bother going to all apps.

I had a better one before this but had to start all over after a reset. And now that I'm on redstone due to the possibility of requiring resets I haven't put as much effort in hehe.

2016-25-4--11-48-28.jpg

Last edited:

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't there a time limit to secure the GB though?, or you lose it. Id imagine a lot of people got caught out like that, I remember clicking the link just in time to keep the GB. The storage is very important with windows phone as i like Photo's backed up, so i can see how that wouldn't be such a good move by Msoft.

Nope, I didn't receive any email about it. Or how should've I known about it? Thru grapevine???

spinr0k

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
If Verizon has any say in it... Yes. Just try buying one at a local Verizon store, the one they have on display is hidden against the back wall out of sight.

I am holding onto my Icon for as long as I can, I am not holding my breath for w10 making it to Verizon anytime soon.

LLAmos

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
I switched, resultantly, from BB10 (the Passport) after my sixth device. I was ready to just tolerate it.

And I love it. I didn't realize how much more I could do when my phone and laptop were all "talking to one another."

Tag a website in Edge on my laptop and there it is on my phone. Be typing away on my laptop, listening to music with my headphones on and a call or text comes in? An on-screen notice pops up and I can reply to the text on my laptop without digging out my phone. No more Documents to Go--just compatible versions of the software I need to make my world go.

Any more, I can't take posts or articles seriously that start with a noun, a verb and "that tech is dead."

Enough already.

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
My guess is that MSFT is still trying to make it a viable mobile platform, but their goal is to use the mobile OS as a complement for XBOX and PC. like, "hey, you can run your apps on your phone too". I don't think they care about the mobile market but only as a way to pump adoption in the desktop and to sell XBOX consoles. Of course, if W10M and Windows phones ever become a massive hit they won't complain.

Is Windows Mobile really dying? I think they don't expect to take the #1 spot but as long as profit numbers don't turn red they will keep the system alive. Pulling the plug on the mobile system (or MS's own mobile phones division) would hurt Windows 10 as a whole.

dbam987

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been using a Lumia 735 every now and then and its a good, solid phone. What applications are people missing out on for the Windows Phone / Mobile platform? The only applications I'm waiting on now are the two banking applications I'd like to see. One of which is soon to roll out in the next month or two (Bank of America).

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I switched, resultantly, from BB10 (the Passport) after my sixth device. I was ready to just tolerate it.

And I love it. I didn't realize how much more I could do when my phone and laptop were all "talking to one another."

Tag a website in Edge on my laptop and there it is on my phone. Be typing away on my laptop, listening to music with my headphones on and a call or text comes in? An on-screen notice pops up and I can reply to the text on my laptop without digging out my phone. No more Documents to Go--just compatible versions of the software I need to make my world go.

Any more, I can't take posts or articles seriously that start with a noun, a verb and "that tech is dead."

Enough already.

I think Microsoft taking risks is a good thing for the company even if it yields controversy, at least Microsoft is willing to send out multiple test builds instead of letting one entire upgrade get pushed out the door without further acknowledgement months later, which is an issue I've noticed with bugged Android firmware on budget devices (Samsung Galaxy Centura, LG Optimus Dynamic II, etc.).

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
IMO it's a commercial suicide not to bring in new phone models within 0.5-1.0 years. People will go to Android or iPhone and forget the whole Windows Phone because it's not in publicity all the time. How to win back those "used to be a loyal Windows Phone customer" after Microsoft will activate their phone division again? They have sacked many Finnish employees who have been developing Windows Phone so doesn't look very promising though...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I didn't receive any email about it. Or how should've I known about it? Thru grapevine???

Don't hijack the thread guys :p there was a different thread on this very same issue. Even if you did miss the first mail' I'm surprised you didn't get the second one offering 1TB with a 365 account for free (one year) (valid credit card needed)

Maybe you could send them an email?

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
IMO it's a commercial suicide not to bring in new phone models within 0.5-1.0 years. People will go to Android or iPhone and forget the whole Windows Phone because it's not in publicity all the time. How to win back those "used to be a loyal Windows Phone customer" after Microsoft will activate their phone division again? They have sacked many Finnish employees who have been developing Windows Phone so doesn't look very promising though...

The best case scenario for Microsoft is if Intel makes an x86 cpu for mobile which is just as powerful and energy efficient as ARM chips so we can run all existing Windows programs on a hand-held computer that happens to have a phone in it. It would run Windows 10 and the kludged W10M could be dumped.

Too bad Intel isn't likely to make such a cpu or chipset within the next five years.

NaveenD

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion, Yes.. Windows Mobile really dying. Don't get me wrong, I really love windows phone.. but buggy OS and app gap are the main reasons for this conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99