Is windows mobile really dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maustin02

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I think that a big aspect that took me a little bit to grasp and what people are missing is viewing W10 as a true ecosystem. If that is a marketing gimmick they have done well because I believe it lol. I know people will say I have drank the cool-aid and I admit I am a huge Microsoft fan. Before I made the leap to go all Microsoft (surface, 950, and Xboxone) I got one of the first Android phones and it had its issues, and then to an Iphone, and then back to Android. Also, there was so much flack and worries about how android was going to catch up to apples app market. It caught up and is a power house now, granted they were only going up against one market, that I would say was pretty developed. Now Microsoft is having to get into a phone market that is extreamly saturated with different phones, OS, and features. Microsoft has done little marketing overall to show there new phones off and to stand out. I really think Microsoft a successful multi-billion dollar company knew what they were going up against and were not going to strike gold. The phone market is evolving overall. We have the hardware, software, and infrastructure now to allow us to use our phones as viable (some work is needed) day to day computers. I really don't think I will get another surface/laptop once mine dies. My phone can do everything I need and by that time my surface dies my phone will do even more and have a better app market....hopefully. Android might be following in the same uncharted path as Microsoft, check out this article (UWP threat? Google could allow all of Android's apps to directly run on Windows | Windows Central). You have to start some where when deploying everything and some markets will do better than others, like the surface pro 3, 4, and surface book. I will agree that if you look at their phones as a sole product, then yes they are in trouble due to the lack of market interest, app market, and overall diversity of options. But once again I am a fan boy and have drank the cool-aid.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I gave my wife a Windows Device, with official Windows 10 Mobile installed (not from Windows Insider) and I can tell you: Suddenly WiFi does not work, the camera won't record, changing roaming options for mobile data leads to a crash, Weather app fails, apps crash, and, I won't do another Hard Reset I'm "effing" fed up of this crap. That phone will go directly to the garbage, Windows Mobile SUCKS. Now I'm pissed off. I will buy her a new Android/iOS phone whatever she chooses, and we will never look back to Windows Mobile.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
From what I can tell most of these are limited to the fast ring builds (Redstone), so you're on the fast ring?
No, it's an official build, installed on L1520. When this or other problems happen I turn the phone off and on and it's usable again. Before I could think that WP8.1 isn't popular, but at least it works well for me, now that is not true either. Unpopular and buggy, what a treat.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
No, it's an official build, installed on L1520. When this or other problems happen I turn the phone off and on and it's usable again. Before I could think that WP8.1 isn't popular, but at least it works well for me, now that is not true either. Unpopular and buggy, what a treat.

Welp thought those were fixed :/ Proves my point though.. MS can't guarantee full functionality for all, not even on official builds

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think that a big aspect that took me a little bit to grasp and what people are missing is viewing W10 as a true ecosystem. If that is a marketing gimmick they have done well because I believe it lol.

I think UWP ecosystem is like bundled services from the cable company.

The difference is the apps already exist in Android. So instantly this makes Chrome more powerful. UWP still requires developers to write for Windows PC as a first step. Not saying it has no chance. It is just more work for developers and a little different strategy. One leverages the strength of PC computing to entice developers to write apps that can then be tweaked to put them on Windows Mobile. The other uses the strength of a mobile app store to put mobile apps on the chromebook so people will consider this a viable option.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
MS keeps changing how one develops apps for WP/WM. If I were a serious mobile app developer, I'd be fed up with it by now, especially if the market share is close to nothing. Who's going to guarantee they won't reboot again.

alex-kundera

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Well that didn't help much - saying windows fans don't realise the Miracast solution ...
All you did of the parent posters problem statement

is replace the dock with a Miracast adapter. All the rest of the stuff still holds true.

You do realize that all TV's dont have a Miracast built in - so you still need to plug in the Miracast adapter (like Microsoft diaplay adapter) to the TV or monitor ?

I realize that, but the idea is that it's way simpler because:
A) it's wireless
B) it takes less space in your pocket than if you are to put the dock and the hdmi cable
C) soon it'll work with any win10 PC with RS update (they could market this feature too, maybe after summer)

My point is, for average consumer, for which the Microsoft stores are made, the wireless Continuum is just enough and works, so why not market it like that only? Let people know it's easy to use, and it's a trend we'll soon all be doing naturally. Professionals will know that the dock offers better connectivity, but for consumer the wireless will work pretty good.

----
Honestly, I've been using the Lumia 735 for the past 10 months, and other than the occasional low cache of the Edge browser (partially b/c of the meagre 8GB storage) and the unresponsiveness from time to time to the Outlook Mail app (terrible on desktop too) the phone works just about right. I've never had any of these problems with wi-fi, hotspot, or any other bug like that. The builds have largely improved battery life and performance, I am 100% sure about this!

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I realize that, but the idea is that it's way simpler because:
A) it's wireless
B) it takes less space in your pocket than if you are to put the dock and the hdmi cable
C) soon it'll work with any win10 PC with RS update (they could market this feature too, maybe after summer)

My point is, for average consumer, for which the Microsoft stores are made, the wireless Continuum is just enough and works, so why not market it like that only? Let people know it's easy to use, and it's a trend we'll soon all be doing naturally. Professionals will know that the dock offers better connectivity, but for consumer the wireless will work pretty good.

----
Honestly, I've been using the Lumia 735 for the past 10 months, and other than the occasional low cache of the Edge browser (partially b/c of the meagre 8GB storage) and the unresponsiveness from time to time to the Outlook Mail app (terrible on desktop too) the phone works just about right. I've never had any of these problems with wi-fi, hotspot, or any other bug like that. The builds have largely improved battery life and performance, I am 100% sure about this!

The reason for the dock with the USB plug is because miracast is slow to respond. I use Miracast to do presenter mode from my Surface and it works fine, but the lag would drive me crazy for moving a mouse on the screen or playing a game. Miracast is not as good if lag is going to matter.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't care if it is dead or not as long as MS continues to support it. And if Win 10 and beyond push on multiple devices is really their long term goal then their will always be a windows type phone.

I cannot deal with IOS or Android. The OS's are completely useless grids of icons. I cannot believe in 2016 people find it acceptable that their mobile OS's don't do Jack S* except launch apps and in the IOS case is barely customizable. I'll Give android some props for having a few Live tile Win 8 style Shell launchers but Vanilla Android is crap.

Their is much more movement in the mobile space to OS integrations instead of having an app for each feature and I could not see myself move from the informative and useful live tile interface to static outdated row of icons.

So as long as MS keeps making a mobile OS based on windows I will want one even if their are only 5 Windows phones owners still around.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I hate to break it to you but windows phone as a competing platform is dead and any hope for a 3rd os is as well. Its apps my friend, have you seen the Google play and ios app stores? I bet even Amazon has a better app store.

The world is moving away from separate apps for each function, and I'm glad it is silly to open separate apps for each little thing you want to do.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I cannot deal with IOS or Android. The OS's are completely useless grids of row of icons. Their is much more movement in the mobile space to OS integrations instead of having an app for each feature and I could not see myself move from the informative and useful live tile interface to static outdated row of icons.

Even Microsoft is moving away from integrating things into the OS toward an appcentric model. The biggest example is the move away from the People Hub (where all of my twitter, facebook, messaging, and skype feeds/messages were rolled into one fantastic place) to separate apps for all of them. I think it is driven by the app companies and I can't blame them for wanting to keep a unified experience across their own apps and ensuring their add revenues flow normally.

Also Windows Mobile continues to move toward square static icons with numbers next to them just like the other OSes.

three-screens.png

The heart of what used to be Windows phone is kind of dead to me.

ckeledjian

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Continuum is not simply a gimmick. Most people will rarely use it, until all Windows PCs accept phone connections, and even then I don't expect it to be a killer feature. The reason Continuum is important in Windows Mobile is to support the idea of UWP apps. When the same app code adapts from a 5 inch screen with touch to a 20 inch screen with mouse and the same app runs on a PC, then that's significant because all the new generation Windows apps will be UWP and therefore run in Windows Mobile, Xbox and HoloLens, making the Windows ecosystem the most complete, versatile, cohesive and integrated. Microsoft needs to focus 120% into making UWP apps easy to create and get profits from, and this will make any Windows 10 device the most powerful tool to have.

Vmartinez39

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I actually considered switching to Windows Phone when 8.1 first released. Actually I still loved it when Nokia was still making the phones. Not anymore.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Did you ever do a Reset after upgrade? I did and I'm not having issues on my 1520 such as you mention...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb