Is windows mobile really dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
It seems that windows mobile is having more and more problems to win some market share, I love windows mobile(and phone), but for some reasons it looks like fans love it more than even Microsoft does, we don't see almost any marketing trying to explain what they expect from the W10M future. I really hopes that the surface phone can change all this.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
1. MS doesn't do marketing well.. we know
2. MS openly said that all hardware push (devices) will be done next year with the official launch of RS2
3. The Surface phone if it exists or will exist, will probably not be the savior of the entire mobile platform

My opinions

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
People just seem to very eager to jump in and laugh and say it's all over dead.... I don't know why those people want it dead so fast though except just to say they were right?

Like if you actually just use the thing, it's pretty awesome and what's in store with redstone, it's even more awesome.

I've been holding off on w10 on my SP3 til the last minute cause I need it for work but recently I'm starting to feel it's time to make the jump to w10 and have my 950xl feel at home more and for me, to have the phone feel more like a natural extension of my SP3.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it is too early to tell. Microsoft says it is not going to do much this year in terms of releasing new devices or marketing current devices.

I believe this will be determined next year once Microsoft reenters the market in full force, which is what it claims will happen.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I think it is too early to tell. Microsoft says it is not going to do much this year in terms of releasing new devices or marketing current devices.

I believe this will be determined next year once Microsoft reenters the market in full force, which is what it claims will happen.

In other words.. now we play the "waiting game" :confused:

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I really want W10M to be a success, but is kind of looking hard lately, I know that Microsoft said that this year they wont be focusing on the mobile area, but I still think that they should try to incentive other people to at least try windows mobile

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I really want W10M to be a success, but is kind of looking hard lately, I know that Microsoft said that this year they wont be focusing on the mobile area, but I still think that they should try to incentive other people to at least try windows mobile

Are you using it? The convergence is well under way, the phone is like taking your laptop with you. It's an extension/tool of your w10 desktop/laptop/tablet

It's been a long time coming but it's on it's way where my phone, laptop is pretty much the same thing but different sizes. I'm seeing it even with win 8.1 laptop and w10mobile and I'm probably soon compelled enough to take advantage of the free upgrade on my main, for work, SP3.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Are you using it? The convergence is well under way, the phone is like taking your laptop with you. It's an extension/tool of your w10 desktop/laptop/tablet

It's been a long time coming but it's on it's way where my phone, laptop is pretty much the same thing but different sizes. I'm seeing it even with win 8.1 laptop and w10mobile and I'm probably soon compelled enough to take advantage of the free upgrade on my main, for work, SP3.

Aye this is the idea moving forward. Kind of the only reason why I still believe the mobile division has a chance

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm using it, I have a 950xl as my main phone and a surface pro 4, that's why I'm saying that I do love windows 10, but I really think that Microsoft is just letting it go down quietly (the mobile area) or least the lumia brand, i have the impression that they are using all theirs cards on the continuum, but the lacks of uwp apps its making it hard, and what if the continuum doesn't work like they imagine or like we all hopes and people still prefer just a simple phone app or use the browser on a laptop? then the windows phone will have nothing to offer because "its not the main focus this year"

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm using it, I have a 950xl as my main phone and a surface pro 4, that's why I'm saying that I do love windows 10, but I really think that Microsoft is just letting it go down quietly (the mobile area) or least the lumia brand, i have the impression that they are using all theirs cards on the continuum, but the lacks of uwp apps its making it hard, and what if the continuum doesn't work like they imagine or like we all hopes and people still prefer just a simple phone app or use the browser on a laptop? then the windows phone will have nothing to offer because "its not the main focus this year"

This is all just speculation of course. It could be two years before Microsoft makes another smart phone or other device. I have never heard Microsoft announce a Surface phone or an x86 phone. I really cannot see how continuum matters outside of a world where the continuum interface is built into every computer monitor and television so you don't have to lug around all the equipment. I have a hard enough time wanting to carry around a minidisplay port to HDMI and VGA adapter. I hope stuff turns around but it is really more of the waiting game. It used to be summer of 2016 for Panos Phone and now it looks like sometime in 2017.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have never heard Microsoft announce a Surface phone or an x86 phone

Trust me.. The concept for it is alive and well, but we can't know if it will see daylight (think McClaren)

The reason why we haven't heard anything? the mobile line is now in the hands of the Surface team and it is quite known that those guys are a secretive bunch..

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Isn't the fact that they continue to release updates a counter to this? I mean they try to release the same builds for mobile and PC at the same time or close to each other and they keep adding features.. None of that tells me that they're letting it bleed out

There would be no point in refining the OS if they were planning to abandon it next year. However if their hardware push (next year) doesn't cut it, they might be ready to pull the plug on mobile. In the sense that they won't be manufacturing but will keep the OS alive for others to use if they so wish..

Don't put all of your hopes in next year tho :)

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
But that's the problem, we have to play the waiting game not for just updates and improvements, but for hoping that the mobile OS doesn't get killed, I know they are releasing new updates and working on the anniversary update, but then what? Nobody knows if Microsoft would launch a new phone, or if they even try something new, and I really don't see people wanting to go out with their phones a display lock an hdmi cable and a keyboard everywhere, nobody really cares for continuum, it's just stupid

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
But that's the problem, we have to play the waiting game not for just updates and improvements, but for hoping that the mobile OS doesn't get killed, I know they are releasing new updates and working on the anniversary update, but then what? Nobody knows if Microsoft would launch a new phone, or if they even try something new, and I really don't see people wanting to go out with their phones a display lock an hdmi cable and a keyboard everywhere, nobody really cares for continuum, it's just stupid

Why do they need to launch a new phone? What about other OEMS?

They have already released a windows 10 rom for the mi4 and soon to release for the mi5, one plus 2 and one plus 3...

Who knows what other android phones will get Windows 10 rom. People need to remember that Microsoft is a SOFTWARE company. Look at the desktop OS.

All of Microsoft's' computer operating systems were so popular.How many Microsoft desktops and laptops did you see?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
In my opinion, if Microsoft would have really abandoned their mobile platform, they would not launch Windows 10 Mobile and for sure they would not bother adding Continuum and other new features they are constantly adding (or just taking the ones that already exist to higher level) in pre-realease builds.

As it was already described in article series "Windows Phone is not dead", Microsoft is just going all in by giving OEMs some space for this year and while the OEMs realease their phones Microsoft will most probably try to polish Windows 10 for mobile as much as possible and with their "ultimate strats" try to make "boom" next year with rumored "Surface Phones".

Misayuki

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I certainly hope not. I am looking to jump off the train that is android. My edge can't be sold soon enough. Ready to join the team.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion, if Microsoft would have really abandoned their mobile platform, they would not launch Windows 10 Mobile and for sure they would not bother adding Continuum and other new features they are constantly adding (or just taking the ones that already exist to higher level) in pre-realease builds.

As it was already described in article series "Windows Phone is not dead", Microsoft is just going all in by giving OEMs some space for this year and while the OEMs realease their phones Microsoft will most probably try to polish Windows 10 for mobile as much as possible and with their "ultimate strats" try to make "boom" next year with rumored "Surface Phones".

"A rose by any other name....." Lol I think it's funny when people publish articles that claim WP is dead.. It really is tho :p The focus has shifted to W10 and the phones that can support it. If yours can't, you best be getting one that can if you want to hang with the cool kids

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
"A rose by any other name....." Lol I think it's funny when people publish articles that claim WP is dead.. It really is tho :p The focus has shifted to W10 and the phones that can support it. If yours can't, you best be getting one that can if you want to hang with the cool kids

Yeah it is pathetic, thats why I like Windows Central's articles about Windows Phone not being dead :p Also I think that MS tested Windows 10 Mobile and got enough insider information to specify which phones can or cannot recieve Windows 10 Upgrade because they are older devices or have just 512 RAM which affects the expirience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers