Is windows mobile really dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
continuing where you left off on your desktop to your phone, that video shows what the convergence can do for us. Do something anywhere, have it everywhere.

I use thunderbird for my mail client forever and it's own PAB list.... and now that my people list is quite mature, I gotta link that up!

Same everywhere, it's been a slow go since windows 8.1 didn't quite deliver on this point and they actually needed windows 10 to get there, but since windows 10, it feels like things are coming faster, especially if you're on insider, broken or not, things are coming pretty quick! My wife gets annoyed that every time she boots up the surface 3 (on insider fast) it seems be be always making her wait cause it's updating her profile after another big update.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it is pathetic, thats why I like Windows Central's articles about Windows Phone not being dead :p Also I think that MS tested Windows 10 Mobile and got enough insider information to specify which phones can or cannot recieve Windows 10 Upgrade because they are older devices or have just 512 RAM which affects the expirience.

I have to say.. MS was right to kick us out :p I hacked my 920 just to see the 14xxx but the issues my phone had... 218 is much better

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Lately I feel that MS is having this upgrades just for testing some apps and then uploading them to android or ios, like Cortana or the keyboard, basically we're all beta testers of those apps

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I love Windows phone, but if you are waiting for Microsoft to save itself, well that is just not going to happen. Just look at their current crop of phones, boring, and blah, good hardware but very, very plain.But then they did say it was for the fans they were not going out of their way to impress anyone and it worked. You can say it till you are blue in the face that the APP gap does not matter and it does not really exist, but it does, all you have to do is use an Android or i-phone for a month download your banking app your local news, your favorite eating place app, then after the month go back to your Windows phone. Unless something really dramatic and life changing happens I see no way Windows phone can make it.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
As it was already described in article series "Windows Phone is not dead", Microsoft is just going all in by giving OEMs some space for this year and while the OEMs realease their phones Microsoft will most probably try to polish Windows 10 for mobile as much as possible and with their "ultimate strats" try to make "boom" next year with rumored "Surface Phones".

So releasing the 950, 950xl, 550, and 650 is opening up the market to OEMs how? Who in their right mind is going to buy an Acer Liquid Jade Primo--when you don't know that it will receive any firmware updates and the ever looking surface phone is about to surface?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
iOS/Android go hand in hand with apps lol.. That's the kind of appeal WP needs before we'll see the masses switching

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So releasing the 950, 950xl, 550, and 650 is opening up the market to OEMs how? Who in their right mind is going to buy an Acer Liquid Jade Primo--when you don't know that it will receive any firmware updates and the ever looking surface phone is about to surface?

No he meant, MS will be toning down the production. Previously WP's made by Nokia/MS dominated the market, leaving very little room for others to maneuver.

MS clearly said that they will be releasing less phones now. 3 phones aimed at each class (low/mid/high) and for the rest the OEMS can fill the gap with niche devices.

Again.. The plans for a Surface phone are probably there, but we can't be certain that those phones will ever make it to the market.. We have seen this before

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
1. 950, 950xl and 550 were according to my information released in 2015, not 2016, in this year just low-end 650 was realeased so yes for me that is opening market to OEMs for year 2016 as I believe not many are going to buy 950 and 950xl in the second half of this year.

2. Probably Acer will advertise the phone more than MS did, and if I use your logic it is the same with previous Lumias and all other phones after all

3. If MS is not going to launch any phones this year, other than 650 and as there was already an article here on Windows Central about the three variants of the phone coming next spring, that's one thing we can choose to believe or not to believe in, but if you do like the platform and are eager to see new phone, I believe you're going to believe in "Surface Phone" release next spring too.

Last edited:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
No he meant, MS will be toning down the production. Previously WP's made by Nokia/MS dominated the market, leaving very little room for others to maneuver.

MS clearly said that they will be releasing less phones now. 3 phones aimed at each class (low/mid/high) and for the rest the OEMS can fill the gap with niche devices.

Again.. The plans for a Surface phone are probably there, but we can't be certain that those phones will ever make it to the market.. We have seen this before

I just mean in 6 months they have released 4 phones. The vast majority of users left are fans and most will not want to use a third party hardware. So you are looking at 2017 for the current batch of phones to become dated enough to consider something else. This happens to coincide with the rumored surface phone.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I believe you're going to believe in "Surface Phone" release next spring too.

Agreed :D But this might be my last stop on WP tho.. ordered a new phone, but recently users have been reporting issues with upgrading to the newer builds (RS) so mi thinks, MS might be dropping a few more phones off the supported list soon...

If the surface whatever doesn't wow me or surpasses my budget, I might look at the 950, since the camera is decent enough, otherwise.. Nexus/LG might have a new customer hehe

Roberto Velazquez R

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
At least we will not see new UWP app or updates,not even from Microsoft,they are busy developing apps for Androids and IOS,what we are going to see are several new builds,lets wait for 2017 if WP is still alive

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I just mean in 6 months they have released 4 phones. The vast majority of users left are fans and most will not want to use a third party hardware. So you are looking at 2017 for the current batch of phones to become dated enough to consider something else. This happens to coincide with the rumored surface phone.

Agreed. Mostly fans left now and people who have no need for apps; just camera/texting/calls :p

Most of the midrange devices I liked will probably never hit the US market. Ebay might still be an option lol

But I made the same point previously (different thread). Fans won't want to buy anything another OEM is offering.. unless there really is no other choice

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Agreed :D But this might be my last stop on WP tho.. ordered a new phone, but recently users have been reporting issues with upgrading to the newer builds (RS) so mi thinks, MS might be dropping a few more phones off the supported list soon...

If the surface whatever doesn't wow me or surpasses my budget, I might look at the 950, since the camera is decent enough, otherwise.. Nexus/LG might have a new customer hehe

I wanted to get the 950 or 950 XL but I am low on a budget a bit and my old 630 was really iritating me and I smelled that 512 MB of RAM won't be a good thing to have so I bought 640 XL at the end and I am satisfied with it, though I might go with "Surface phone" if it comes next summer and the cheapest variant will be relatively good and will support Continuum :p

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. Mostly fans left now and people who have no need for apps; just camera/texting/calls :p

Most of the midrange devices I liked will probably never hit the US market. Ebay might still be an option lol

But I made the same point previously (different thread). Fans won't want to buy anything another OEM is offering.. unless there really is no other choice

You sure nobody will buy HP Elite x3? :p

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
At least we will not see new UWP app or updates,not even from Microsoft,they are busy developing apps for Androids and IOS,what we are going to see are several new builds,lets wait for 2017 if WP is still alive

I think your letting your frustration get the best of you :) There are different teams for the different platforms :) the others don't work with beta software. I'm stuck on TH builds and I've still been seeing updates to camera/office apps/groove etc

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Windows Phone/Mobile is in the same, well almost the same position as Blackberry two years ago, or even Symbian. But I think that MSFT can pull it on because of seamless integration and support of various services and devices, something that Blackberry didn't have. But if they don't pull that off, then we would most likely see some Microsoft "Priv", with the possible Cyanogen modification in the following years.

stuartbritt

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I have to say, I really like the look and feel of my 950. With the brown leather mozo back, I can't think of any other phone I prefer the look of. App gap is real, but only a minor inconvenience for me as I have pretty much everything I personally need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel