Is windows mobile really dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have to say, I really like the look and feel of my 950. With the brown leather mozo back, I can't think of any other phone I prefer the look of. App gap is real, but only a minor inconvenience for me as I have pretty much everything I personally need.

Not trying to change the subject, but that avatar made me laugh :D

gm08

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Well, thay have to make it work, as if it fails, the whole OneWindows would fail.
I really like to believe that they are working to catch (or create) the next wave, which is the smartphone as a PC. But nobody knows for sure, we have to wait and see...

permo

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi ven07;

Is it a problem for your intelect that someone like something; even a windows Lumia 950? Stuartbritt is not alone and for myself I can join in that matter. I am very fond of my Lumia 950XL. I am a it- pro and my phone is used as my daily driver. It does't mean that all is OK but after the last update (328) it is working a lot better and no stop or crach has been discovered at all. I am a owner of both Android- and IOS- phones. I can tell you an example of the force and strenght of my WM phone: Yesterday I was on a visit and we discussed some problems conserning NAS and I wanted to show them some "whitepapers" from Synology. We had a big TV- screen and I took my 950XL up from the pocket and activated the Continuum app and showed them on the TV screen via the Miracast system. With my 950XL I showed the whole bunch of people a presentation that almost took their breath away!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yes. It really is. Reason: Group Think.

For years, this has been in the "press." How Windows Phone is behind. App Gap and you. Marketshare. On and on. Tech journalism has embraced the death of Windows phone overwhelmingly since the beginning. Perception of insurmountable difficulties has thrived.

It isn't really. Not in the same sense as Symbian is dead, webOS is dead, BB OS is dead.

Look for this bird:

Flying_Phoenix.jpg

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi ven07;

Is it a problem for your intelect that someone like something; even a windows Lumia 950? Stuartbritt is not alone and for myself I can join in that matter. I am very fond of my Lumia 950XL. I am a it- pro and my phone is used as my daily driver. It does't mean that all is OK but after the last update (328) it is working a lot better and no stop or crach has been discovered at all. I am a owner of both Android- and IOS- phones. I can tell you an example of the force and strenght of my WM phone: Yesterday I was on a visit and we discussed some problems conserning NAS and I wanted to show them some "whitepapers" from Synology. We had a big TV- screen and I took my 950XL up from the pocket and activated the Continuum app and showed them on the TV screen via the Miracast system. With my 950XL I showed the whole bunch of people a presentation that almost took their breath away!

Mate I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to tell me :/ must be that "intellect" of mine

In any case from what I understood.. I'm not against anyone who loves their device! If any of my comments sound like that, well that wasn't what I was aiming for.

I fully understand that the 950 and XL are very powerful devices and I won't bash sth I don't own. I even stated that at some point I would like to get my hands on a 950

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
some people think Microsoft is crazy making smart phone / Pocket PC hybrids but really that'a a good place for them to go because most people buy
Android or Apple iphone smart phones and apps makers are too slow to make apps for windows smartphones but are more interested to make apps the run on Windows 10 PC or Windows 10 Laptop or Windows 10 PC Tablet. Microsoft's New Universal Apps are the best type for smart Apps developers to make for Windows 10 devices because a good one will run on a Windows 10 mobile 5 inch smart phone , Desktop PC, Laptop Win 10 tablet or a Windows 10 serve on up to a 72 inch HDTV screen

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I love Windows phone, but if you are waiting for Microsoft to save itself, well that is just not going to happen. Just look at their current crop of phones, boring, and blah, good hardware but very, very plain.But then they did say it was for the fans they were not going out of their way to impress anyone and it worked. You can say it till you are blue in the face that the APP gap does not matter and it does not really exist, but it does, all you have to do is use an Android or i-phone for a month download your banking app your local news, your favorite eating place app, then after the month go back to your Windows phone. Unless something really dramatic and life changing happens I see no way Windows phone can make it.

It's funny how people online always talk about how "plain" these phones look. I'm not sure about the 950. But I constantly get people telling me how good my phone looks. It's the 950XL in black. And it does because it's all screen and has this stealth look as the black wraps around. The white one which I played with in the store does look horrible to me. It does not fit the phone well. It's that entire black look which mixes with the crazy amoled screen that makes it what it is. People look at the front of the phone more so than the back. But it kind of almost looks like what a computer would look. Nothing super fancy or shiny, just a nice screen. Say in the future they get to a point where you carry around just flexible screens of some sort. Is everyone going to say it looks plain? Windows 10 as an OS is gorgeous, if you make it look gorgeous. And that's part of what makes the phone. And that's why the focus was on the screen.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
It's funny how people online always talk about how "plain" these phones look. I'm not sure about the 950. But I constantly get people telling me how good my phone looks. It's the 950XL in black. And it does because it's all screen and has this stealth look as the black wraps around. The white one which I played with in the store does look horrible to me. It does not fit the phone well. It's that entire black look which mixes with the crazy amoled screen that makes it what it is. People look at the front of the phone more so than the back. But it kind of almost looks like what a computer would look. Nothing super fancy or shiny, just a nice screen. Say in the future they get to a point where you carry around just flexible screens of some sort. Is everyone going to say it looks plain? Windows 10 as an OS is gorgeous, if you make it look gorgeous. And that's part of what makes the phone. And that's why the focus was on the screen.

Never held either of them, but the techie in me loves those screens!!!

Jean Claude Lopez

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
It seems that windows mobile is having more and more problems to win some market share, I love windows mobile(and phone), but for some reasons it looks like fans love it more than even Microsoft does, we don't see almost any marketing trying to explain what they expect from the W10M future. I really hopes that the surface phone can change all this.

For me the iPhone is dead, because I don't care for it. So yeah, for some WP is dead. So, what? It's selling for the fans.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Is Windows Mobile dying? I guess that depends on what you mean by "mobile". Windows smartphones are dead. Microsoft completely gave up on it when that fool Satya Nadella took over and got rid of all the INTELLIGENT PEOPLE THEY ACQUIRED FROM NOKIA. Their plan now is to focus almost completely on services and make THOSE 'mobile'. Or, probably more accurately, ubiquitous across all platforms. So, in that respect, mobile isn't dead, it's taken on a completely different paradigm.

With that said, I've pretty much given up on Microsoft. I've gone from being one of their biggest cheerleaders to someone who simply feels Microsoft is the lesser of three evils--I despise Apple and Google and all their holdings with a passion unmatched in human history and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actually LIKES them.

I have grown up with DOS and Windows. I was an early adopter and fan of the PocketPC (I've had the iPAQ 3630, the Dell Axim X5 and X3i). I bought each of these the first day they came out: Samsung Focus, Lumia 900, Lumia 920, Lumia 1020. I reluctantly bought the Lumia 950 (biggest waste of $600). I enthusiastically tested Windows 8 as soon as they allowed us "common people" to play with it. And then....Windows 10/Windows 10 Mobile was revealed. The very first day I tested both I new I was never going to have faith in Microsoft ever again. It was disgusting by design. Microsoft PUKED over every thing I loved about Windows 8 and, as far as I was concerned, just caved to all the numbskulls who loved Windows 7 and insisted they go backward. That's the opinion I hold to this day.

Microsoft has taken everything I started to like and then systematically destroyed it. The bought the devices division of Nokia and destroyed Lumia. They came out with the Xbox One with Kinect and then crapped all over it, destroying the interface and making the Kinect a useless piece of junk. Now our Xbox sits in our shed, the Lumia 950--which, despite a FASTER camera, still sucks compared to my 1020--sits on a charger, only being used to continue to test how much Windows 10 sucks with each subsequent build. So, for my household, we are sticking with WP8.1 and Windows 8.1 on all devices that really matter. Anything else using W10 is purely to continue to prove how much we hate it. Microsoft now sucks only slightly less than its competitors. Windows smartphones are dead, for all practical purposes. Windows "mobile" will continue on as nothing more than various services available anytime, anywhere. THAT is obviously their "mobile" strategy.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Tech journalists can't just work at a retail center instead of bragging about a platform they use on a phone they will dump in less than a year... These are the slow minds waiting for Windows to die out. Don't ever read their garbage.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Is Windows Mobile dying? I guess that depends on what you mean by "mobile". Windows smartphones are dead. Microsoft completely gave up on it when that fool Satya Nadella took over and got rid of all the INTELLIGENT PEOPLE THEY ACQUIRED FROM NOKIA. Their plan now is to focus almost completely on services and make THOSE 'mobile'. Or, probably more accurately, ubiquitous across all platforms. So, in that respect, mobile isn't dead, it's taken on a completely different paradigm.

With that said, I've pretty much given up on Microsoft. I've gone from being one of their biggest cheerleaders to someone who simply feels Microsoft is the lesser of three evils--I despise Apple and Google and all their holdings with a passion unmatched in human history and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actually LIKES them.

I have grown up with DOS and Windows. I was an early adopter and fan of the PocketPC (I've had the iPAQ 3630, the Dell Axim X5 and X3i). I bought each of these the first day they came out: Samsung Focus, Lumia 900, Lumia 920, Lumia 1020. I reluctantly bought the Lumia 950 (biggest waste of $600). I enthusiastically tested Windows 8 as soon as they allowed us "common people" to play with it. And then....Windows 10/Windows 10 Mobile was revealed. The very first day I tested both I new I was never going to have faith in Microsoft ever again. It was disgusting by design. Microsoft PUKED over every thing I loved about Windows 8 and, as far as I was concerned, just caved to all the numbskulls who loved Windows 7 and insisted they go backward. That's the opinion I hold to this day.

Microsoft has taken everything I started to like and then systematically destroyed it. The bought the devices division of Nokia and destroyed Lumia. They came out with the Xbox One with Kinect and then crapped all over it, destroying the interface and making the Kinect a useless piece of junk. Now our Xbox sits in our shed, the Lumia 950--which, despite a FASTER camera, still sucks compared to my 1020--sits on a charger, only being used to continue to test how much Windows 10 sucks with each subsequent build. So, for my household, we are sticking with WP8.1 and Windows 8.1 on all devices that really matter. Anything else using W10 is purely to continue to prove how much we hate it. Microsoft now sucks only slightly less than its competitors. Windows smartphones are dead, for all practical purposes. Windows "mobile" will continue on as nothing more than various services available anytime, anywhere. THAT is obviously their "mobile" strategy.

May I ask you what are things that you don't like on Windows 10 except the design? Just curious...

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You sure nobody will buy HP Elite x3? :p

Of course someone will buy it. I just think it is the same as a 950xl. Outside of the dumb laptop I don't know what differences there are. The dumb laptop is just extra hardware to carry around when I already have a core i7 laptop with touchscreen.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Of course someone will buy it. I just think it is the same as a 950xl. Outside of the dumb laptop I don't know what differences there are. The dumb laptop is just extra hardware to carry around when I already have a core i7 laptop with touchscreen.
What does your core i7 laptop with touch screen weigh? Does it charge off your 950XL charger, or does it have its own brick? I don't know what HP's extender will weigh, or that it will use the same charger as the phone, but that is my expectation for this sort of accessory. If that weren't the case, I would just carry my Surface Pro, whose brick does have a handy USB charge port for my phone. Part of what will make this compelling is clearly articulated use cases for the kit. I have hopes HP will do a good job of this. Lord knows MS won't be doing it.

n m

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
For all intents and purposes WP is dead for the average punter. Maybe just maybe the corporate world will pick up WP and MS can end up with a miniscule market share but that is the best case scenario.
Love my WP but lets face it, way to little, way to late. WP is a dead man walking.
HD DVD died a quick death when it was in a far healthier state than WP currently is.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if I'm missing something here but how can "Windows Mobile" be dying when it is now the same thing as Windows on your tablet and PC? Wouldn't Windows 10 have to essentially be dead in order for phones running Windows 10 to be dead? Unless you're strictly speaking about Microsoft making its own smartphone hardware? Don't even see that completely ceasing in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234