Is windows mobile really dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't hijack the thread guys :p there was a different thread on this very same issue. Even if you did miss the first mail' I'm surprised you didn't get the second one offering 1TB with a 365 account for free (one year) (valid credit card needed)

Maybe you could send them an email?

Already did that. I told them I despise their actions - especially when it's done without any "advance warning". I have only two alternatives if I'd like to continue with Windows Phone: either clean my OneDrive account and strip it to 5Gb or pay for additional storage space capacity.

I also despise Microsoft's decision to go with "Apple way": get a smaller cloud space capacity for free and if you'd like to have a larger capacity, then you'll have to pay for it.

That was one of the drawback. Another one was when I had the possibility to test Lumia 950XL for two weeks when it came out. First it was OK, then it got an update and became buggy. Its plastic housing didn't really give me a premium feeling, at least compared to my Lumia 930s. Squeaking and creaking of the housing is not acceptable for a phone with that price.

And last but not least: the future of Windows Phone seems to be quite dark: no new models coming up in the near future.

So I'm really considering an Android phone after ten years of Windows equipped phones :(

GrandSpartan117

May 8, 2013
Visit site
People just seem to very eager to jump in and laugh and say it's all over dead.... I don't know why those people want it dead so fast though except just to say they were right?

Like if you actually just use the thing, it's pretty awesome and what's in store with redstone, it's even more awesome.

I agree. All my friends talk smack on the platform but when I show them how intuitive the OS can be they are usually blown away. When they are trying to find information on their androids and it takes several minuets to find I'm just like of yea I have that info right here. Only takes me a few steps to find just about anything I am looking for. Not to mention the tight integration with the desktop. Its just too cool! But then there's the app gap and honestly I've gotten so used to it that I'm not even bothered by it anymore. I use my phone as a tool, not a toy and that makes me the odd man out I guess.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Already did that. I told them I despise their actions - especially when it's done without any "advance warning". I have only two alternatives if I'd like to continue with Windows Phone: either clean my OneDrive account and strip it to 5Gb or pay for additional storage space capacity.

I also despise Microsoft's decision to go with "Apple way": get a smaller cloud space capacity for free and if you'd like to have a larger capacity, then you'll have to pay for it.

That was one of the drawback. Another one was when I had the possibility to test Lumia 950XL for two weeks when it came out. First it was OK, then it got an update and became buggy. Its plastic housing didn't really give me a premium feeling, at least compared to my Lumia 930s. Squeaking and creaking of the housing is not acceptable for a phone with that price.

And last but not least: the future of Windows Phone seems to be quite dark: no new models coming up in the near future.

So I'm really considering an Android phone after ten years of Windows equipped phones :(

Weird system.. I was surprised when I got the email with the 365 offer. Sorry to hear about your negative experiences.

Going android isn't really that bad ya know :D but it's still sad to lose users such as yourself

anadi1984

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Not a good news. Today I went to enquire about Lumia 950xl in Allahabad, India at an authorized Microsoft dealer. He informed me that Microsoft is winding up it's mobiles phone business from non-metro cities in India.

Zandur Khan

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
Why do people think a Surface phone would do any difference. Even if MS came through and made the best phone ever they would need to sell 100+ millions for years to even make a difference in market share. Apple makes records each year and are still having problems maintaining a decent market share worldwide. They do however make a huge profit on the 13-15% they have.

Misayuki

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I love Windows phone, but if you are waiting for Microsoft to save itself, well that is just not going to happen. Just look at their current crop of phones, boring, and blah, good hardware but very, very plain.But then they did say it was for the fans they were not going out of their way to impress anyone and it worked. You can say it till you are blue in the face that the APP gap does not matter and it does not really exist, but it does, all you have to do is use an Android or i-phone for a month download your banking app your local news, your favorite eating place app, then after the month go back to your Windows phone. Unless something really dramatic and life changing happens I see no way Windows phone can make it.

I made the switch from android today and it has been awesome so far.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I use my phone as a tool, not a toy and that makes me the odd man out I guess.

Why do people equate apps to a phone acting as a toy?

My phone has multiple apps that make my workflow easier. I have the ability to dictate notes with dragon. I can look up medication and treatment references. I can deposit checks. My phone wallet has every store card saved (not just Walgreen's).

In addition I have better apps to improve my guitar playing skills. I'm up to date on slickdeals. And I get notified when people I follow are live on Facebook. Nothing like watching Todd McFarlane teach you how to draw Spiderman and Spawn live!

I don't think I can do any of that on my windows phone and I do it all with apps. If the apps that existed on Android and iPhone were as bad as they are in Windows Mobile, I could understand the app gap not being a big deal. However, little things are better all the time away from Windows (Facebook live or memories, GIF keyboards in messenger, banking apps). The difference between Android apps and windows apps is like the difference between Office and OpenOffice. Both kind of do the same thing, but when it comes down to it, one is better.

Misayuki

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Why do people equate apps to a phone acting as a toy?

My phone has multiple apps that make my workflow easier. I have the ability to dictate notes with dragon. I can look up medication and treatment references. I can deposit checks. My phone wallet has every store card saved (not just Walgreen's).

In addition I have better apps to improve my guitar playing skills. I'm up to date on slickdeals. And I get notified when people I follow are live on Facebook. Nothing like watching Todd McFarlane teach you how to draw Spiderman and Spawn live!

I don't think I can do any of that on my windows phone and I do it all with apps. If the apps that existed on Android and iPhone were as bad as they are in Windows Mobile, I could understand the app gap not being a big deal. However, little things are better all the time away from Windows (Facebook live or memories, GIF keyboards in messenger, banking apps). The difference between Android apps and windows apps is like the difference between Office and OpenOffice. Both kind of do the same thing, but when it comes down to it, one is better.

I think they mainly mean those who live for snapchat,instagram, etc etc

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Why do people think a Surface phone would do any difference. Even if MS came through and made the best phone ever they would need to sell 100+ millions for years to even make a difference in market share. Apple makes records each year and are still having problems maintaining a decent market share worldwide. They do however make a huge profit on the 13-15% they have.

Lol way to be blunt :D I honestly don't care.. What I need is a certainty that I can buy a phone without the fear of hearing that MS is pulling the plug :winktongue: for now it seems ok

Randy Gleason

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just came from a Nexus 6P and I personally think this is the best time to be on Windows Mobile since 7.8. Microsoft's biggest problem has always been apps and with Universal Apps we are actually starting to get some really solid adaptations. I've never had a better Facebook, Instagram, Hangouts, podcast, music, Twitter, Xbox, PlayStation, Pandora, browser, file browser, Youtube, email, camera, calendar or weather app than NOW.

On top of that, Windows 10 is on every device, which means that we will never be left behind on updates. They are constantly iterating and faster than ever.

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
The biggest problem on windows mobile is that Microsoft don't seems to really care about it, if they killed w10m then w10 would have a problem, and MS doesn't want that, that's the only reason w10 is still alive, and the app gap just isn't just that we are missing some apps, is that the one we have doesn't even work as in other os (android and iOS). And all the unique features that w10m have ms port it to android and it's, even the notification center will work with android

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I will still take W10M GUI and over all system over Andriod any day.
Iphone is not any better.

All the apps I have and use work great on W10M.
I have no issues.

For some there might be issues, for others, like myself, there aren't.

W10M for as long as it lasts or till I'm dead whichever comes fist.

Misayuki

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I will still take W10M GUI and over all system over Andriod any day.
Iphone is not any better.

All the apps I have and use work great on W10M.
I have no issues.

For some there might be issues, for others, like myself, there aren't.

W10M for as long as it lasts or till I'm dead whichever comes fist.

The GUI really is pretty awesome :)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The biggest problem on windows mobile is that Microsoft don't seems to really care about it, if they killed w10m then w10 would have a problem, and MS doesn't want that, that's the only reason w10 is still alive, and the app gap just isn't just that we are missing some apps, is that the one we have doesn't even work as in other os (android and iOS). And all the unique features that w10m have ms port it to android and it's, even the notification center will work with android

My friend stop saying "MS doesn't care".. at some point it becomes "whiny". Again, they run a business and not a friendship store :) As a business and as a leader calls have to be made that not everyone might like or appreciate, but it has to be done.

I have disliked certain things MS did and I will probably dislike other things they do in the future, but when looking at those very same actions from a business standpoint (overall/general) you get to see why they had to do it.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree. All my friends talk smack on the platform but when I show them how intuitive the OS can be they are usually blown away. When they are trying to find information on their androids and it takes several minuets to find I'm just like of yea I have that info right here. Only takes me a few steps to find just about anything I am looking for. Not to mention the tight integration with the desktop. Its just too cool! But then there's the app gap and honestly I've gotten so used to it that I'm not even bothered by it anymore. I use my phone as a tool, not a toy and that makes me the odd man out I guess.

You know, I 1520% agree with this. Now that I have Messaging Everywhere, I could care less about my SE and iMessage lol. I thought I'd use Snapchat once I get an iPhone but nope. I mainly just use my SE for music when I'm running or when I'm trying to find a date using those dating apps.... lol. :D

Seriously though, after getting my 1520, I'm more in love with wm10 than when I'm using my 950XL. Whatever the Surface Phone will be, I think the gamble MS is taking by not releasing a new suite of phone this 2016 is smart move. More risk = more reward right? As much as I love the Lumia brand, I think the 1520 is the last "Lumia."

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't need "Luck" I need apps and a stable OS, none of which MS has at this point.

The amount of apps is not really my problem. I'm happy (or almost happy) with the apps I have right now.

The problem is that Microsoft is not going to invest to their phone development (?) and bring new exciting phone models to the market. And reducing the OneDrive capacity from their loyal users is not going to help to keep their loyal customers.

Like I wrote to Microsoft, reducing my OneDrive capacity is the last nail on the coffin for me to continue using Windows Phone.
I love the OS to death but due to those reasons above, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna switch to Android. Won't even consider an iPhone...

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
My friend stop saying "MS doesn't care".. at some point it becomes "whiny". Again, they run a business and not a friendship store :) As a business and as a leader calls have to be made that not everyone might like or appreciate, but it has to be done.

I have disliked certain things MS did and I will probably dislike other things they do in the future, but when looking at those very same actions from a business standpoint (overall/general) you get to see why they had to do it.
Call me crazy but I think if they sell you a product that supposed to last more than a few months they have to "care" about you, and maybe I am whiny, but I'm whiny because MS is waiting for us to play the infinite waiting game and hope for the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb