Is windows mobile really dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShashankDogra

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Its an Unborn Child ! Waiting to Explore the World and take Birth

Its clear, that Microsoft is Taking advantage of the Fans and the "Insider" Beta testing to the fullest. They are Sort of making some money out of the fans who are volunteering and testing in Beta in the most number use case scenarios possible. And We can see and observe with the latest builds how that game is coming along.

There is a huge Gap that Microsoft has to bridge in order to compete with Android and iOS, and the Gap keeps increasing as they keep pushing new innovations as well.
I Believe as a Company, and on Business stand point of view, it'll be unwise to Risk High budgets on Marketing on something unfinished, on something which is not a Game Changer. We all know, Its not a compelling reason yet for anyone to switch from an i Phone to a Lumia 950. It just isn't.
Its this Gestation strategy of Windows Phone development right now, where its growing under incubation of constant testing and development. Its not rigorous and we know a Company like Microsoft who has such a huge product line, they won't just be dumb enough to dedicate all there time and resources to a Product line which hardly makes 2% of the market share worldwide.

To sum it up, Windows 10 Mobile isn't dying, its just like a baby in a womb, getting healthier and bigger, fuller and adding more life to itself before it takes on the Real world. And then when we have an OS and Hardware combo, with enough developer support, then there is a point to dedicate marketing over the phone, then we need banners and posters all throughout the Subway station and 59th Columbus Circle New York, then We need to see the Microsoft logo on the Empire State building and a good demonstration of how marketing can be done, and outdone.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
From the releases of the 950 and the xl, its been a down hill for them. They admit that mobile isn't their focus at the moment, and that moment has been nearly a year or more. I have become fed up with their bugs, and limited apps. I will be leaving sooner or later.... there isn't much hope cause all they have is promises....sigh R.I.P

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
From the releases of the 950 and the xl, its been a down hill for them. They admit that mobile isn't their focus at the moment, and that moment has been nearly a year or more. I have become fed up with their bugs, and limited apps. I will be leaving sooner or later.... there isn't much hope cause all they have is promises....sigh R.I.P

Ehm ok

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Even Microsoft is moving away from integrating things into the OS toward an appcentric model. The biggest example is the move away from the People Hub (where all of my twitter, facebook, messaging, and skype feeds/messages were rolled into one fantastic place) to separate apps for all of them. I think it is driven by the app companies and I can't blame them for wanting to keep a unified experience across their own apps and ensuring their add revenues flow normally.

Also Windows Mobile continues to move toward square static icons with numbers next to them just like the other OSes.

https://ideasaldente.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/three-screens.png

The heart of what used to be Windows phone is kind of dead to me.

I don't think they are moving to "static" icons.
Also I think it is up to the developer to utilize the live tiles.
On one hand it sucks that Microsoft has to make the Facebook app since Facebook Inc does not make one but I do like how Microsoft made it possible to make a LIVE TILE for each group you pin to the desktop.

Also, if that is your home screen layout... no wonder you get little live tile info. So many tiny sized icons and many are pushed into groupings.
That will kill the live tile experience.

BTW, I hope that is KING JAMES Bible on your home screen. :)

sf49ers

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Its already dead by few years now, windows mobile 7 was the time for it to shine but it botched. Now there is no void left to be filled by other two OSes, its too little and too late for msft. it lost partners, developers, mindshare and the userbase. Let alone mobile now a days people(also developers) care little about windows desktop. Msft may even soon write off $7billion it paid to acquire Nokia.

Mike Semblance

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
We just bought Ten 950XL's at my job, with 20 Wireless display adapters, (one for work, one for home) We use remote desktops for any old fashioned x86 apps that we need. I could see someone saying Windows Phone is dying last year, but with Continuum, its a rebirth!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Its already dead by few years now, windows mobile 7 was the time for it to shine but it botched. Now there is no void left to be filled by other two OSes, its too little and too late for msft. it lost partners, developers, mindshare and the userbase. Let alone mobile now a days people(also developers) care little about windows desktop. Msft may even soon write off $7billion it paid to acquire Nokia.

Dead by a few years, yet people still buy it? granted not many but they still do.. Dead by a few years but the platform is still here and didn't we receive an update for desktop as well as mobile? dead by a few years, but MS just committed to the Surface Phone and indicated that more phones by other OEM's are coming?

Developers care less, but UWP apps are being released?

Man if this what "dead by a few years" looks like, I'm stoked to see what alive "by a few years" would mean

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Its an Unborn Child ! Waiting to Explore the World and take Birth

To sum it up, Windows 10 Mobile isn't dying, its just like a baby in a womb, getting healthier and bigger, fuller and adding more life to itself before it takes on the Real world. And then when we have an OS and Hardware combo, with enough developer support, then there is a point to dedicate marketing over the phone, then we need banners and posters all throughout the Subway station and 59th Columbus Circle New York, then We need to see the Microsoft logo on the Empire State building and a good demonstration of how marketing can be done, and outdone.

This has to be the biggest load of narrow minded in-denial ****** garbage I've ever read on this forum. And there's a LOT on here.

What you've written above proves clearly that you have absolutely NO IDEA what is going on in the mobile world as a whole, and why WP has failed, and why this thread and hundreds of others like it, continue to exist, be closed, and then be posted again and again and again.

WP needs developer support and market interest (which go hand in hand) - plain and simple. No 5-part essays or mega-posts filled with ridiculous over-analysis and excuses. It is the simple reason why WP is now in free-fall.

Right now, this platform continues to exist as a test bed - and you are all the subjects. Nothing more than that.

jlabelle

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
is it really though? I've been using the 1520 for 2 days now and I can't stand looking at the 950XL's warmer/yellowish screen.. Before I didn't notice it since I was using the 1020, which has similar problems.

Non sense. Lumia 950 has one of the more color accurate display of the entire mobile phone world in line with the Samsung S6 and S7 : Microsoft Lumia 950 Benchmarks

And if it happens that you do not like accurate colors and want something more saturated or a different white balance or hue, just go in the settings and modify to your liking.
You can change it in the Settings the color profile : choose Advanced and you can change 1/ white balance, 2/ hue, 3/ saturation.

I do not know if Android are so flexible and iPhone obviously does not offer at all those kind of customization.

jlabelle

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
All the rest of the stuff still holds true.

Again, that is not true. You do not NEED a mouse or a keyboard. The phone acts as a giant trackpad and when you click a field, the keyboard pop-up.
  • To show slideshow of your pictures to your family, you do not need a keyboard / mouse
  • To connect your phone to any W10 PC at friend / family's home which have already a keyboard / mouse, you do not need to carry them
To display a movie from Netflix or YouTube at the hotel, you do not need a keyboard and mouse

You do realize that all TV's dont have a Miracast built in - so you still need to plug in the Miracast adapter (like Microsoft diaplay adapter) to the TV or monitor ?

Well, all modern TV that I am aware of (LG, Sony, Samsung, ...) have pretty much all Miracast built-in. This is a standard.
If you do not see the interest of Miracast, ask yourself what is the appeal of the Apple TV. And then multiply by 2 the type of possibilities that Continuum offer.

jlabelle

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
The difference is the apps already exist in Android. So instantly this makes Chrome more powerful.

True. They exist ... on Android. But then you have a PC so you need to pay the applications twice, they are not the same, with different UI, settings, way of working so it is a mess.

The other uses the strength of a mobile app store to put mobile apps on the chromebook so people will consider this a viable option.

Well, let's see what the future will be but if you are comparing today a Chromebook to a Windows 10 PC...

Stef8600

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
The difference is the apps already exist in Android. So instantly this makes Chrome more powerful. UWP still requires developers to write for Windows PC as a first step. Not saying it has no chance. It is just more work for developers and a little different strategy. One leverages the strength of PC computing to entice developers to write apps that can then be tweaked to put them on Windows Mobile. The other uses the strength of a mobile app store to put mobile apps on the chromebook so people will consider this a viable option.

Building a UWP app is quicker in order to be conform other formfactors. Then use the free xamarin tool to build an android package.

Last edited:

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm still hoping MSFT will pull out a winner and soon! A great Surface Phone with fully functional Win10M and apps that I need and use and it'll bring them back to prominence! Right now I'm using an Apple iPhone 6S+ and love it. Miss my Windows Phone and Cortana a bunch but I won't compromise performance and functionality to go back to MSFT and Windows Mobile!

pettor

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think Windows Mobile will survive thanks to MS new strategy that makes all devices a target. I also think the Surface devices makes much more sense to focus on, they actually have a winner there that can provide apps, a user base and attraction to the brand. Of course it's way to expensive to compete with number of users, but Surface adds value to Microsoft and is considered "quality" and "cool" which somehow the mobiles haven't done.

I used to love Windows Mobile but will switch because I can't stand WM10. Love it on desktop but on phone it just lost me. When I used WP8 I couldn't have cared less about apps but now there's just bugs everywhere and ui is heavily downgraded. Therefore I also think it makes sense to wait before refocusing on mobile again. Surface can gain attraction and WM10 can be market ready with better enterprise continuum features. I actually think WM can be awesome again, but right now it really isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon