Is windows mobile really dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stef8600

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I think you have a very narrow view of innovation and what people expect and what business want.

Well nobody wanted a 2-1.
But recent numbers show the decline of pc and tablets, but surface is growing steadily.
If the wheel wasn't invented, nobody needed a car.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well nobody wanted a 2-1.
But recent numbers show the decline of pc and tablets, but surface is growing steadily.
If the wheel wasn't invented, nobody needed a car.

Yes but I doubt I'll see a Surface at my work place or a 2 in 1 any time soon. Innovation like that is great for consumers.

For the consumer market, yeah tablet and PCs are low but that was to be expected. Lots of people have little use for a PC and a tablet though useful for most things wasn't good enough. So 2 -1 makes sense for some people.

To me it's more than hardware. Really , a two in one is not that innovative. What is needed now is what MS is trying to achieve, seamless movement between platforms. Thing is it's a long road for MS and for any other company trying to achieve this.

That to me will be the true innovation when it happens. There is lots of traces from all three companies doing this sort of thing but MS is the only one out there with it at the moment.

There are of course lots of things we haven't dreamed up yet but not all innovations are good are they? 3D TV anyone?

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
What's most interesting: The small Chinese Android makers are the only ones that are gaining really fast market share. Vivo and Oppo have 130+% YOY.

Yep, that's true. Just take a look at those Chinese webshops which are selling those Chinese Android phones. There are lots of 'em and their prices are very decent.

Two of my colleagues have ordered and are now using Chinese Elephone Android phones. They've been quite satisfied with their phones so I guess their price/quality level is quite OK. Plus nowadays Chinese manufacturers offer pretty good specs compared to their prices and the prices of those brand manufacturers' phones. Maybe people have realized that you don't have to pay 700-1000 € (well at least here in Finland) to get a decent phone?

If we take a look at the selling prices and the manufacturing prices (my estimation), I presume the average manufacturing price per phone is approx. 100 € at max. Well, if you're selling the phone model with the price of 700 - 1000 €, there's quite much "air and "brand value" in the price of a phone. Some of those Chinese manufacturers have their own webshops so there are no whole and retail sellers taking their own share of the price of the phone.

Which brings me to the idea that Microsoft should've sold their phones from their own webshop and their prices (even @ the retailers) should've been more decent. If your market share is very tiny, you just cannot put the same price tag on the phone that Apple and Samsung does, even though you're a very established manufacturer / well-known company. Here in Europe the price of Lumia 950XL used to be 699€, now it's close to 400€. What's the point of placing a sky high price tag on the phone if there are only few customers who are gonna buy that phone with that price (and then afterwards drop the price almost at half) when you could put the price tag of 400€ there right away and maybe gain some more market share in this difficult situation???

€ = Euro (the currency of the most European Union countries), equals to 1.18 USD or so.

Edit: last year that afore mentioned Elephone announced that they would've released a dual booting phone with Android 5.1 and WIN10. I was about to purchase that phone but then they unfortunately scrapped the whole idea. So yesterday I pre-ordered Zopo Speed 8 Android phone directly from the manufacturer's webshop. The price was 279.99 USD. Take a look at the specs: http://www.zopomobile.com/speed-8/ . Pretty good specs, at least on paper...

Last edited:

MF910

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Prioritizing iOS and Android app development over it's own platform?! Do we blame Apple and Google, a.k.a "other platforms" for that?

Yes: developers make apps for these OSs since they are having more reach on those. Those platforms are more popular. That's all. I believe MS should have an entire development department, in order to produce Windows Native UWP apps. Period. And they should task the newest trends.

And arrange with stupid companies like Snapchat.

As simple as that. The whole deal with what you said is just reach and awareness. Nobody builds apps for Blackberry.
Think about it.

Curtis Webb

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I really wish they would stop asking this question. The answer is NO. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. No matter how many times you ask this question, the answer is NO.

DancingDave

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Here in Europe the price of Lumia 950XL used to be 699€, now it's close to 400€. What's the point of placing a sky high price tag on the phone if there are only few customers who are gonna buy that phone with that price (and then afterwards drop the price almost at half) when you could put the price tag of 400€ there right away and maybe gain some more market share in this difficult situation???

I just read today that Microsoft has lowered the price of the Lumia 950XL in China to 699 RMB which is about 110 USD. Unfortunately I couldn't confirm that price, maybe someone else knows more about it.

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that UWP apps is the MS salvation, because lets be honest, how many of you will use an app on the xbox? or how many of you need an app on the pc when you already have a browser? that "UWP is for billions of user" is a lie, if so, all the developers will be running to W10 and W10M but any of them really cares

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I use plenty of apps on my desktop and tablet to be honest. Nextgen reader, Twitter, Mindapp, Mail, Agenda, Forecast, mobile Word/PowerPoint, Netflix and Wunderlist. I can use all of these on my phone as well. Haven't touched my Xiaomi Mi 5 since the latest redstone builds on my 950XL (seriously, its pretty sweet atm).

So some people might not use any apps on desktop, but there's plenty of people that do use them. I rather use these apps on my 8" tablet then going into my browser on that tiny screen. I see plenty of use on Xbox as well for UWP.

I also have no use for tons of bookmarks in all honestly. I have plenty as it is, being a researcher :unhappysweat:

But no, W10M ain't dying, can we please stop the constant 'death wishing'?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Stef8600

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes but I doubt I'll see a Surface at my work place or a 2 in 1 any time soon. Innovation like that is great for consumers.

I don't know in what business you are working, but I see them showing up more and more (not only CEO's)
It's light (compared with a workhorse like a HP EliteBook) and almost every company I visit ( as an IT consultant) have plug-in desks with a screen, keyboard and mouse these days.

I don't want to sound rude, but in all honesty, I think you are underestimating the succes of the surface devices.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't know in what business you are working, but I see them showing up more and more (not only CEO's)
It's light (compared with a workhorse like a HP EliteBook) and almost every company I visit ( as an IT consultant) have plug-in desks with a screen, keyboard and mouse these days.

I don't want to sound rude, but in all honesty, I think you are underestimating the succes of the surface devices.

The only 2 in 1s at my work place are BYOD. The company owned computers are all 5+ year old desktops which just got updated from XP to W7.

All of the cell phones at work are also BYOD. Windows Mobile isn't supported by enough apps at the moment to make it a viable product at work.

rgc6789

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, in my opinion, Windows Mobile is dead. Too many issues with lack of apps, and the apps that are there don't work half the time. I can't submit comments in the forums from my Windows Central app, I can't upload images properly with Facebook app. Smartthings app is buggy. My bank doesn't support it, I take my kids to museums etc. and there are apps for everything but Windows Phone. I'm on Verizon so I bought an Icon a few months ago and Microsoft and/or Verizon screw me and I'm not getting updates any longer.

I'm going to end up with my first Android phone since Windows Phone 7.

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I think that what MS should do is copy what android did, let as many companies made windows phones even if they are just crap. That way more people will eventually have windows phone and developers won't have any other choice than to make some apps

Enviado desde mTalk

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that UWP apps is the MS salvation, because lets be honest, how many of you will use an app on the xbox? or how many of you need an app on the pc when you already have a browser? that "UWP is for billions of user" is a lie, if so, all the developers will be running to W10 and W10M but any of them really cares

I use YouTube on Xbox all the time. I also use Hulu and Groove on Xbox as well. I'd use Facebook as the web browser experience on Xbox sucks. Apps can provide a vastly superior experience in some cases, especially where repeated logins are an issue. What I mean by that is apps will save the login info and auto log me in, whereas the web browser will not.

I would like apps for my computer for Live Tiles. A live tile that shows the weather forecast, your balance on starbucks, or when your Uber is expected to arrive or to Shazam the song in the caf? while I'm typing away.

I don't need an app on my PC but I see the Live Tiles as a reason I won't have to open an app ever again. The information comes to me. Android uses Widgets for that, Apple has their 3D Touch, Microsoft has Live Tiles that are leagues ahead of both of those other implementations. The sooner people realize that is the future, the sooner devs get on board.

Speaking of which, developers not jumping on it doesn't mean it isn't the best solution. Car manufacturers didn't start making hybrids and electric vehicles en masse until the Toyota Prius started selling like hotcakes. They are happy to keep selling you the same old thing, whether its the best option for you or not, until you finally stop giving them money for it.

What is the truly innovative thing that iPhone and Android phones have brought to the table in the last few years? They are still dumb launching boards for throwaway apps with more memory and ever faster processors. That's it. They haven't made anyone more productive on their own. Sure they have all these apps, but why do people keep shelling out more and more money each year for these devices without any real innovation in return?

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I just read today that Microsoft has lowered the price of the Lumia 950XL in China to 699 RMB which is about 110 USD. Unfortunately I couldn't confirm that price, maybe someone else knows more about it.

Yes please, if someone knows about it, please let us know!

If someone would offer me 950XL with the price of 110 USD (or even 210-310 USD), I'd purchase it immediately! But with its original price: no way!

I had a chance to test Lumia 950XL for two weeks (offer made by Microsoft). Brilliant phone but IMO not worth of its original price. But neither are iPhone 6S nor Samsung S7 Edge...

Last edited:

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I suspect those that don't use a touch screen with windows 10 feel there is no need for apps. If you have a portable pc with a touch screen you would have a different opinion. I have a full pc at home and find I don't use he apps anywhere near as often as I do on my SP3. While using the SP3 apps are my go to spot while catching up on everything happening in the world. BTW has anyone else tried going back to using a mac after having a touchscreen pc utterly frustrating trying to get things happening pocking the screen 😂

MarCou

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has Live Tiles that are leagues ahead of both of those other implementations. The sooner people realize that is the future, the sooner devs get on board.

Microsofts sales will blow up when people realize that live tiles are future?!? I tell you something. Look Sonys, LGs, HTCs... sales. Even Apple is going down. Now you suggest that live tiles will be the answer to take over the worlds mobilemarkets. You really should be sales and marketing manager in some big company. "We will made live tiles and conquer the world". That sounds more like Pinky and the Brain than solving real problems of MSs mobilesales.

What is the truly innovative thing that iPhone and Android phones have brought to the table in the last few years? They are still dumb launching boards for throwaway apps with more memory and ever faster processors. That's it. They haven't made anyone more productive on their own. Sure they have all these apps, but why do people keep shelling out more and more money each year for these devices without any real innovation in return?

Look at the computers, Windows and Office in last two decades. What innovations you see? Only things that have been made are faster processors and more memory. Still they sell pretty well. MS have been selling same Win95 and same Office with very little developments, mainly cosmetic changes, year after year last two decades.

Live tiles are not something new and innovative that will raise MS mobilemarkets. Neither are 3D touch or continuum. Hololens, maybe; but more likely they will be rolled over by VR-glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb