Is windows mobile really dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, people tends to upgrade their handsets after every 2 years. With that, their new handsets will have the latest android updates. Furthermore, most popular OEMs will provide at least 2 versions upgrades within the 2 years. My old M7 was rocking from Android Jelly Bean to Lollipop. That's really good enough.

Yes, and you can get them by installing Cyanogenmod or similar to your phone.
I have an ancient Motorola Droid 2 phone (haven't used it for about year right now), and it's got Cyanogenmod Android 5.1. So there are ways to upgrade your phone.

I'd like to know whether it'd be possible to get my WIN10 upgraded Lumia 930 to work with Continuum? I mean by purchasing an adapter (micro-USB -> USB-C) and attaching it to the Continuum. I have Continuum so all I could lose is the price of the adapter cable. But has anyone already tried it?

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
...with ch?nese platforms you will get cheap, never-software-upgraded phones ( exception of Nexus). Therefore, good luck with your Android.

I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 and it gets updated (firmware and UI) almost every month.
It's rock solid and looks as new as the day I bought it - Not all Chinese phones are cheap crap.

By the way, My Nokia 920 is in the box with a broken camera.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
If it wasn't for the new Candy Crush game that's only an UWP, I'd be back on WP8.1 already. Always when there's an emergency the OS/ some app drags its heels and says no. Once I could not send an email, at least I remembered web interface. Then another time I wanted to type a response to an email. Guess what, the keyboard did not come up. Then I got an urgent warning in the middle of the night that my mobile data is running out. It was shortly before the limit was reset with 50MB left and no data spent. Sometimes the phone refuses to connect to WiFi. It's beyond ridiculous, wherever I go in the phone, I'll find something .ucked up there. If it's not dead it should be. It really hinges on that Candy Crush Jelly now for me.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Funny you mentionedthat because it was such a strong music player to begin with that I left iPhone and android for it, then Microsoft proceeded to remove all of that great stuff about it.

It is still my daily driver, but I totally understand people moving to other platforms. I just have a simpler need which is text and phone and very few apps so it doesn't bother me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Funny you mentionedthat because it was such a strong music player to begin with that I left iPhone and android for it, then Microsoft proceeded to remove all of that great stuff about it.

It is still my daily driver, but I totally understand people moving to other platforms. I just have a simpler need which is text and phone and very few apps so it doesn't bother me.

Yeah, the important thing is that you evaluated your needs and wants and that you have them in windows phone. After trying both Android and iOS, I learned this myself. Having an important app pulled away from the platform with no possible date really isn't the business. Also, the apps related for what I want to get into (career wise) are not there. People do the two device thing but for me, that's too much. I am a very simplistic person. Even now, I use it for music on WiFi only around the house, right now.

coderjones

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
You're completely right. I went to iOS after years on Windows Phone. I certainly miss a lot of the OS features (live tiles, pinning, etc.), but the app loss got to be too much. I'm a big baseball fan, and the lack of MLB At Bat was the final straw. I'm hoping the next year or two will see better app support because I'd like to go back to Windows 10 Mobile.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
You're completely right. I went to iOS after years on Windows Phone. I certainly miss a lot of the OS features (live tiles, pinning, etc.), but the app loss got to be too much. I'm a big baseball fan, and the lack of MLB At Bat was the final straw. I'm hoping the next year or two will see better app support because I'd like to go back to Windows 10 Mobile.

Exactly! Just like you, I need apps for information rather than all the "live" tiles eye candies, etc. I mean, what's the point of having "live" tiles when I cannot even find the apps I need in the first place???

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. Here's why:

- We've really only seen minor updates of WM10 so far. We should wait on the first major revision (Redstone) to hit before starting to write it off.
- Hardware partners are starting to come back on board...sort of. This will take time though.
- The 950/950XL sale pumped up interest. It's what convinced me to finally pull the trigger and jump in and I'm moving my Mom to a Lumia 640.
- It's great for business. For a long time my company was 'Apple or bust' but as our IT group expands their horizons they're now allowing the 950/950XL. No clue why they didn't before...but they're openly encouraging it now.

I know those positives don't scream (winner winner chicken dinner!) but it's a lot better off than we were a year ago. Now Microsoft just needs some actual marketing and hope their quick sale built up some goodwill that can get folks talking.

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I really think now that the biggest problem that Microsoft had is marketing, no commercials, not selling lumia phone in latin America for over a year, no publicity about continuum, etc. Ok maybe this isn't the year of mobile according to MS, but common, no marketing for over a year? Maybe windows mobile become a hipster OS and that way it can be saved

stlbud

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Windows mobile devices since the Pocket PC and Windows CE version 2.11. I just bought a Nexus 6 phone. I've been stabbed in the back, run over by a steam roller, and screwed in too many ways to count. Windows Phone is dead. They've played taps. If you didn't hear it you weren't listening. There are no promises of "entering the market again in full force next year" or ever. It just ain't gonna happen. The future of Microsoft is Cortana and cloud services. All the best Microsoft mobile apps are on Android. They don't need a phone.

Surface Phone is dead. Intel can't make the chipset Microsoft needs to make that happen.

Give it up. Get Over It. Move On. There's nothing to see here.

Dan Sanger

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Yes, unfortunately Windows Phone and Windows Mobile are dead. I'll use my Lumia 920 until it dies, but after that it will probably be Android. The dream of an x86 Surface phone was killed a few days ago when Intel cancelled all its Atom processors for phones.

jurisraudulis

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Don't know much about latest news and plans,but from my own experience with 640xl on W10,i would say yes. From loving my phone i soon might start to hate it,seriously,W10 is such a mess. I hope they soon fix all the bugs and errors,if not...well,hello Android once again.

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
slowing and surely, if all devices would get the Windows 10 upgrade then there'll be hope.

Nobody wants to buy a phone that's not future proof.

iPhone 4/4S got the latest iteration of iOS and it's very old.

Why can't MS do the same ?

That's why Apple keeps snatching the market share.

iPhone 4 is stuck at 7.1.2 and many newer apps can't be installed on it. The iPhone 4s is still supported but not for long. Still a lot of support for such old devices though.

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Is that why Microsoft is giving away a free 950 if you buy a 950XL. No one gives a BOGO deal if interest is pumped up.

You completely misunderstood what I said.

Cause: Microsoft had a BOGO sale
Effect: Folks jumped on it and became excited about the platform

I'm not saying Microsoft had the sale because folks were excited about the platform but rather, folks are excited because of the sale.

Tjalsma

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
This is going to be a depressing read. However (and before even typing this I know everyone has their bag of good retorts but I must say it anyways) I have to say it just to provide myself with some therapy.

Who is WP really for anymore? It started as an extremely efficient OS - extremely stable and vibrant. MS, for one reason or another, started whittling away at it's very few interesting features. Family Room, destroyed the People Hub, games on iOs started getting achievements, etc. etc.

While they spoke out against segmentation and said they'd adhere to a streamlined product and OS approach...they literally back pedaled and did exactly the opposite. Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 7.8, Windows Phone 8, Windows Phone 8.1, Windows Phone 10...etc. etc. Does ANYONE (other than your most diehard WP fans) have any idea what in the hell sets each OS apart or each Lumia model apart?

It's okay, you have your Lumia fanbase, right? I mean, those diehard Nokia fans that love their devices and will support them no matter what...oh, there goes that name.

"All phones will get WP8"..."Um, some phones won't get it but they'll get WP7.5". "Some phones will get WP10 but we are not sure when or how or what version or if you'll have to sign up for a Insider, etc." Again, what in the hell is going on?

At least we have apps like those developed by Rudy Huyn (TV Show being my favorite). Oh, even many of those are gone. Again, these were the apps that the WP ecosystem could bring up when an iOS ****** said "Well, what kind of apps does it have?"

It absolutely amazes me that Microsoft has kept some of these devices alive.

And please, please understand that I know this is a rant. But you must understand that (and I really don't care if you think I am lying), there isn't a more supportive Microsoft consumer out there than me. And I truly mean this. I am not saying it to brag, I am saying this as it's important for new users, and Microsoft (who couldn't give a crap what I think), to know what it's like.

We have 4 Surfaces - 2 of them being RTs that were never really given the time of day by MS. They are borderline worthless now other than for streaming. That's okay, I have my Microsoft Bands...THAT WON'T EVEN SYNC TO SOME OF MY SURFACES! I have to use my damn Mac!

I have a home FILLED with MS products that are just left for dead.

So, in the end, why in the hell would a consumer want to go through all of this when they see old Apple products receiving up to date OS and feature updates? Me? I have an iPhone 6 now. I still have a Lumia 920, 925, 520, 640, etc. etc. etc. that I wish I could use. They sit right next to my Microsoft Band and some of my Surfaces that I have no reason to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs