Welcome (Back) to Windows Mobile!

blackherrie

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Hello,

Currently in the situation that I'm leaving the apple eco system. This basically started last year when I bought myself the first windows laptop ever. Before used mac's. Since I cannot justify the costs anymore. 2 young kids. Prefer to give them so now and then a box of Lego.
Little bit situation what we do:
We both (wife and me) are using an iPhone 6S. And using apple music on the device. And iCloud.
On the both phone's we are using 1 general account for the iCloud photo's / purchasese.
Means when I take an picture, it shows up in the camera roll with my wife, and vice versa.
The biggest problem we have is that when we delete an photo on the iPhones this picture is deleted from our iCloud photo library. Our kids are growing, and they have fast fingers. So we noticed that we on regular base have to view if there are photo's deleted.
Since past summer I tried to use OneDrive on my iPhone. And must say, that works pretty well.
Have disabled iCloud photo's on my device. Good part is that the photos deleted on the device are still kept at OneDrive. That is how we like it.
My wife really like her iPhone. She is using plenty apps. For me, I'm not using really much apps. Basically what is build in. In the past I had for work an nokia lumia 920. And really liked that windows on an phone.
Currently thinking to switch completely to windows. Last step for me would be an windows phone.
Important for me is that the camera is great. My wife and me are taking lot of photo's and videos.
For example I was thinking to get an Lumia 950. It is not that expensive anymore.

What do we use from Microsoft at the moment:
Since some months we are using Office 365. And that is working pretty good.
Our documents are centrally stored.
OneDrive for photo's. Only my wife need to swap. Will happen as soon we are ready for the switch to Microsoft completely.

Apple :
Apple music.
Apple match
Extra payed iCloud storage, 50 gb.

I understand that apple music is no go on windows phone. So most likely we need to switch to Spotify. As far I understand there is an windows phone app.
Currently using Spotify (free) on the PS4. That switch is not that big.

Just want to know if anybody see some issues coming for me / us if I make the swap to an windows phone. Things we should pay attention to. Any help / suggestions are very welcome.
I consider myself user. And not technical knowledge. It must work out of the box basically.

Was always an blackberry lover. For work I got blackberry devices. Since iCloud that is basically no go. Because we want an complete eco system / Cloud functionality.
Android, is not my thing to be honest. Can't really describe why, but it is not my thing.

Thanks for reading and helping out.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Hello,

Currently in the situation that I'm leaving the apple eco system. This basically started last year when I bought myself the first windows laptop ever. Before used mac's. Since I cannot justify the costs anymore. 2 young kids. Prefer to give them so now and then a box of Lego.
Little bit situation what we do:
We both (wife and me) are using an iPhone 6S. And using apple music on the device. And iCloud.
On the both phone's we are using 1 general account for the iCloud photo's / purchasese.
Means when I take an picture, it shows up in the camera roll with my wife, and vice versa.
The biggest problem we have is that when we delete an photo on the iPhones this picture is deleted from our iCloud photo library. Our kids are growing, and they have fast fingers. So we noticed that we on regular base have to view if there are photo's deleted.
Since past summer I tried to use OneDrive on my iPhone. And must say, that works pretty well.
Have disabled iCloud photo's on my device. Good part is that the photos deleted on the device are still kept at OneDrive. That is how we like it.
My wife really like her iPhone. She is using plenty apps. For me, I'm not using really much apps. Basically what is build in. In the past I had for work an nokia lumia 920. And really liked that windows on an phone.
Currently thinking to switch completely to windows. Last step for me would be an windows phone.
Important for me is that the camera is great. My wife and me are taking lot of photo's and videos.
For example I was thinking to get an Lumia 950. It is not that expensive anymore.

What do we use from Microsoft at the moment:
Since some months we are using Office 365. And that is working pretty good.
Our documents are centrally stored.
OneDrive for photo's. Only my wife need to swap. Will happen as soon we are ready for the switch to Microsoft completely.

Apple :
Apple music.
Apple match
Extra payed iCloud storage, 50 gb.

I understand that apple music is no go on windows phone. So most likely we need to switch to Spotify. As far I understand there is an windows phone app.
Currently using Spotify (free) on the PS4. That switch is not that big.

Just want to know if anybody see some issues coming for me / us if I make the swap to an windows phone. Things we should pay attention to. Any help / suggestions are very welcome.
I consider myself user. And not technical knowledge. It must work out of the box basically.

Was always an blackberry lover. For work I got blackberry devices. Since iCloud that is basically no go. Because we want an complete eco system / Cloud functionality.
Android, is not my thing to be honest. Can't really describe why, but it is not my thing.

Thanks for reading and helping out.
For you it might not be a problem switching to the Windows ecosystem. Your wife on the other hand may have some issues depending on what apps she needs. If a good camera is imperative look no further than the Lumia 950. It's only slightly larger than your current 6S and are on sale for $250 at the Microsoft Store. Let us know what she requires and we can go from there.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

blackherrie

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi fatclue_98
user-online.png

At the moment I'm the only one switching. My wife stays with her iPhone. No way she would change that. So thats why I'm trying to figure out if we are still in sync me with an windows device.
Basically what we share currently is : Agenda. No issues there I think. And the pictures and videos.
With OneDrive I guess this will be ok as well if we both use the same account on the both phone's?

blackherrie

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

btw there is no stock available (lumia 950) at the microsoft store here in the Netherlands. Hopefully they come soon, since they are cheaper as in an retail store here.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Thinking of Leaving | Switching platforms...comment here!

Hi,
I'm finding the dual SIM particularly interesting. I've been able to lower my monthly bill by taking advantage of a "family" plan with each line having separate data. Then switching which SIM uses data when the other nears its limit. So for me the experience has been great.

What an interesting idea!! Can anyone else share how they take advantage of the duel sims?
(moderator, perhaps this should start a new thread?)

Asadg519

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site

What an interesting idea!! Can anyone else share how they take advantage of the duel sims?
(moderator, perhaps this should start a new thread?)

Do u physucally have to change the sim card or can u just do it.in settings?

blackherrie

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

btw there is no stock available (lumia 950) at the microsoft store here in the Netherlands. Hopefully they come soon, since they are cheaper as in an retail store here.

And I got one from another store. Pretty cheap to around 300 euro (Netherlands).
It is an amazing experience compared to the iPhone 6s. Really like it. Especially the camera button. Very handy.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site

And I got one from another store. Pretty cheap to around 300 euro (Netherlands).
It is an amazing experience compared to the iPhone 6s. Really like it. Especially the camera button. Very handy.
Do you still recommend it after the time that has passed since you posted?

Cheers

sanfransoxfan04

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I remember getting my Lumia 920 on launch day. I loved that phone, dropped it numerous times, kicked it across a parking lot, it was well made and WP8 was amazing to use. A few years later I dropped it in my bathroom and screen cracked. Insurance replaced it with an 830.

I don't know why I got the bug to switch to Android, I think it was the beautiful screen, camera and speed of the Galaxy S7 Edge, not to mention APPS GALORE. I hate the Edge, why on earth didn't I get the normal S7. Anyways, I found I was constantly complaining about the phone so I decided to ire up the old 830 after more than a year. It's currently running WP10 Insider Preview Fast. It's a little slow and buggy, but I am in love again. WP10 is light-years ahead of android,I actually look forward to using my phone again.
I also see that some of the apps have been updated since I left, for example I can now mobile deposit checks again with Bank of America, a feature I constantly use but lost for some period back when I was a WP user.

So I started making a list of nice to have vs. critical apps and what I found was there are a lot of apps on android that I never actually use. DirecTV, Xfinity. They are cool but cant remember the last time I used them.

For Music streaming and control I may be struggling to not have the RoonLabs app for controlling music server, or an official Tidal App for streaming.
If there is a delay in getting an MLB At Bat app for the 2017 season so I can listen to ballgames, that will hurt big time.

So now what, do I stick with the Windows Phone even though the future is questionable? Do I go back to my S7 Edge and pray for a Surface phone? Do I double down and sell the S7 and try to find an 950 to replace the 830?
I'm also in the middle of switching from ATT to Verizon because ATT coverage in Marin and the East bay areas of San Francisco is non existent. Stupid ATT.

It's amazing how my mood improved since switching back, even if its temporary. Windows Phone OS is just superior to everything else, just got to reduce that app gap.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I understand how people get all excited about Android, with her fancy apps and zillions of different phones, but after a while I get bored of her. Windows 10 is more like a good friend whos always by your side and feels comfortable to be around. I'm done being lured by things I don't need and are just eye candy.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site

Do u physucally have to change the sim card or can u just do it.in settings?

I have both a dual sim 950xl and a dual sim (or sd card) X3.

Under Settings > Network & Wireless > Use this SIM for cellular data.
The drop down will allow you to select.

I understand how people get all excited about Android, with her fancy apps and zillions of different phones, but after a while I get bored of her.
LOL - I have used Android since Eclair and still have a SGS6. (My son *had* a Note 7 but now has a SGS7.) It just always seems like it is blurry and the colors don't stand out.

[EDIT - adding picture]
The only thing I like on Android (and IOS) is the ability to run Microsoft Garage apps. For example, on my S6, I use the Hub Keyboard from Microsoft. Like it way better than the stock WM10 keyboard.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e....aspx%3Fproject%3Dhub-keyboard&token=dTbvAEpl

Screenshot_20170223-160517.png

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss