Welcome (Back) to Windows Mobile!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Just joining the platform? Have you recently returned to the world of Windows Mobile?
Here is your thread.

Tell us why you came home and where your coming back from.
What phone did you buy and how do you like what you bought?

Whether your an old hand or completely new we would really like to know your story.

Welcome back!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jais Holstein

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Thinking of Leaving | Switching platforms...comment here!

I have a HTC 8x Windows Phone and a Lumia 930. I love both phones (one for work and one for private use). I recently decided to replace my aging HTC 8x with a new phone. I looked at what was available. I ended up with a Sony Xperia M5. Nice looking phone, great camera and it is waterproof. It only has 16gb of internal memory, but there is room for a micro sd card.
Now 1 month later I got so frustrated with android that I sold the Sony and have ordered a Lumia 950.
I realize that the app-gap is a major factor against Windows 10 Mobile, but I prefer the interface. I do you really need 100 tetris games to choose from?
I would have loved to be able to install windows on the Sony Xperia M5. (@Microsoft - this could be the way forward for Windows 10 Mobile)
What do you think. Does Windows 10 Mobile exist next year?

Last edited:

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

I have a HTC 8x Windows Phone and a Lumia 930. I love both phones (one for work and one for private use). I recently decided to replace my aging HTC 8x with a new phone. I looked at what was available. I ended up with a Sony Xperia M5. Nice looking phone, great camera and it is waterproof. It only has 16gb of internal memory, but there is room for a micro sd card.
Now 1 month later I got so frustrated with android that I sold the Sony and have ordered a Lumia 950.
I realize that the app-gap is a major factor against Windows 10 Mobile, but I prefer the interface. I do you really need 100 tetris games to choose from?
I would have loved to be able to install windows on the Sony Xperia M5. (@Microsoft - this could be the way forward for Windows 10 Mobile)
What do you think. Does Windows 10 Mobile exist next year?

How was battery life on the M5?

Jais Holstein

May 7, 2014
Visit site

It was ok. I did not think of it as good or bad. I used the phone a lot in the beginning, trying desperatle to solve all the issues I had. Using it a lot also used a lot of battery. I used the Stamina feature to preserve battery over a weekend and that was ok.
A con is that the phone only has 16gb of internal memory and Android uses a lot of that for the OS.

Phoneograph

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site

Im coming back to wp from android dont like it anymore waiting for my new lumia to arriwe

adebo

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

First week back with WP after more than a year on iOS and then Android. iPhone 6 Plus -> iPhone 6S Plus -> Galaxy S7 -> Galaxy S7 Edge

Could not be happier to have WP back in my hands with the 950 XL. It is certainly not the best looking device but its just the overall UI for me. iOS is just plain boring to me and cookie cutter. Android was great at first and without fail, despite various different launchers, apps, keyboards, etc the phone just slows down. Email takes forever to load, the keyboard has a delay to appear, battery life just terrible.

There are some apps I will miss, but for the most part it can all be done in the browser. Just thought I would throw in my two cents and maybe save some people some money if you really love the UI on WP.

sadbiker

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site

Started a long time ago with a windows phone os with a start bar. Then moved onto androids, got fed up with promised upgrade's and phones that crawled once a few apps were installed. Finally shifted onto a Lumia 800, then a 920 now a 930. Became part of the insider and have been through the issues of the updates. From a phone that would restart when taking to much pictures, intermittent lock ups, had the mic issue and a screen which decided to do it's own thing. Had first hand experience of the MS streamlined warranty repair service in the UK (not Impressed) yet the 930 has still been a fantastic phone. The recent rush on updates has virtually ironed out all the gremlins I've seen other than wishing for a longer time on my battery.

My gravest concern is one day i will want to upgrade but where do I go from a 930. I want to stick with WM10 as I feel technically its now finally maturing as a stable release (long overdue)

t8ntlikly

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

After only having my Samsung Galaxy 7Edge for 2 months, I'm DONE! It's not the phone, the phone is absolutely beautiful. The Android OS on the other hand just got to be too much to deal with, so I just switched back to a brand new Lumia Icon on Verizon.

1: HERE Maps, they don't work the way that MAPS. On Android you have to put HERE back on line in order to update. Not so with MAPS. Plus all I could get in English was either British Male or Female, and if I were just driving looking at the map to see where I was. I had to refresh it to get it accurate! WTF? Google maps was not an option!
2: OneNote. All I can say here is what a joke! Not even close to as good as the W10M version! The rest of the MSFT suite Excel, and Word. were on par.
3:Outlook Mail/Calendar: What a joke on Android!
4: Rating an app one has to sign up for Google + < Seriously!
5: Other than a few apps like BofA and MSFT. It seemed every time I turned around I there was another ad staring at me. No matter what I did there they were! < Go figure, it is Google after all.
6: App permissions. With the exceptions of a few again. Un like most of the W10M apps that I had previously Damn near every app wanted access to everything when there was no reason. Yea! I could turn off a lot of those permissions after the fact, but even then....Sheesh!

Before someone opens their troll mouth and decides to rip me, I understand had I used apps for Google Maps, and say Evernote over One Note, and Gmail rather than Outlook and Chrome over Firefox, thing might have been different, and they may have been, but that's not the case here or with me. So let rip trolls!

On the plus side, there were 4 or 5 apps that I really enjoyed using, but the bottom line is that these apps in particular had/have great mobile web pages and I used them before w/o any problems. Folks there might be an app gap that can easily be over come. I'm just an ordinary everyday user, so for what its worth W10M is the best IMHO. Look carefully before you leap!

For those of you on Verizon, I was able to fine a brand new Lumia Icon on their business side, not the Consumer side. and was able to make the switch. The SKU is NDK929W and there are now only 36 of these (White) Lumia Icons left/ Hoorah! I didn't have to switch to AT&T.

SynthDude

May 26, 2016
Visit site

I switched from android to Windows phone couple months ago and am very satisfied with windows phones tbh more than I was with any android I had and I had many lol

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Thinking of Leaving | Switching platforms...comment here!

I switched from android to Windows phone couple months ago and am very satisfied with windows phones tbh more than I was with any android I had and I had many lol

I tend to agree. I still own both, but am finding myself using my Windows phones (950 and 640) much more often than my Android phone.

Masterchief Laitila

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

Hi,
This is my very first post and I wanted to share with you all on why I choose to switch FROM Android to WM10. To start my very first WM phone was the Samsung Blackjack. That was my dream phone. Expandable microSD, and Bluetooth. I was able to put my music on there and use it as a music player playing through either my Bluetooth headset or radio in my truck. As well as being my phone! But everything changed when Apple released the iPhone.

So now you had your phone plus your music player and then add APPS! However I was never a fan of the Apple ecosystem and had zero interest of jumping in for a phone, so I waited. My first adventure into Android was with the HTC EVO 4G from sprint. Why this phone? Many reasons. Among the top was the ability to "hack" the phone and install custom ROM's. Along with the large community behind all the mod's. Another was hoping that HTC would officially update their older model phones with the latest Android for a longer period of time over their competitor's. Having being burned by Samsung regarding them not updating the Blackjack all that well. And my love for the HTC brand, Android, and the community continued all the way through the HTC M8. And because of that community my Asus Transformer tablet. Which the design is the precursor to the current 2-in-1 trend. Shipped with Android Froyo 2.2 and I was able to install Android Marshmellow on it. Making it a viable tablet for much longer then anticipated.

But over the years something happened. Android became boring. The tablet just remained there lifeless and uncharged. I no longer flashed ROM's for fun. Outside of a couple music streaming services and some banking apps I wasn't really using my Android devices for really much of anything. I was using my phone at work to take pictures and send short emails. But not much else. Heck at this point I wasn't even using a pc either. My last pc was a underpowered computer handed down to me from a friend that no longer needed it. Almost a decade ago now.

One day while I was walking around with an insurance adjuster taking notes, with my pen and paper pad, on the scope of repair for the job we were on. I became fascinated with watching him work with his Surface Pro 3. He did absolutely everything with that device. He had his specialized insurance software running on it. Checking and marking in his notes as we went along. Sent out an email. And I believe I even signed something. That very day I was at home researching the Surface. And with the Surface Pro 4 being just released I was amazed to see how far Microsoft was able to bring the product line from initial launch. So I picked up a Surface Pro 4.

It was a disaster! I must have had every issue anybody has complained about for the Surface Pro 4. I returned enough at Best Buy that I'm no longer able to return ANYTHING to any store. But I wanted it and after my last Best Buy return I bought one directly from the Microsoft store. And I even returned that one because of a couple screen defects. Both Microsoft and myself paid the price to be on the cutting edge of technology. Then Microsoft got it's act together and released a series of drivers that has fix all of my issues to date.

Now I've totally embraced this device. I do everything I possible can with it and learn more all the time. And can't be happier. I use it at work to take pictures and organize work with Onenote. I fill out all my forms for work with .pdf annotation software. I even bought my first house by signing every document with the Surface. Then emailing it back. I've enrolled in the insider program and have been beta testing all the new features and bug fixes Microsoft is putting into the anniversary update. And even though I installed all the Microsoft Android apps I just didn't feel like my phone was joining in on the fun. My phone must have been feeling the same because one day it jumped out of my hand and then started acting all funny dropping calls and other weird glitches.

So back to the Microsoft store and picked up both Lumia 950 and 950XL on their BOGO free offer wanting that perfect companion device for my Surface Pro 4. And so far it has been great! However right off the bat I experienced the "app gap." First it was with my banking apps. At first I thought it was going to be a problem. But upon using a browser to navigate to their websites I found out that the mobile websites mirrored their apps. So all I had to do was create a link, give it a unique name and pin it to start and BOOM! The banking apps became irrelevant. I did this with all my banking and utilities. So all I lost was basically a logo'd button. And I will submit that the social apps if not there are lacking in functionality. However since I don't use those apps that doesn't effect me. I can see how somebody else may have their experience tarnished.

But here is an app that I gained big with that you just can't do with Android. I think Microsoft is going to strike gold with their UWP strategy. I paid for Money Tracker Pro a UWP app. Paid once and installed it on both my Surface and Lumia. Now I'm able to track my finances with one app across my devices. I use my onedrive to sync the data. It's simple and best of all it just works. So I feel that the WM app ecosystem is right where the Android app ecosystem was when it was new. I remember on Froyo the facebook app was horrendous. It took time for developers to even out the features and bugs between platforms. Being an insider on both the pc and phone I see Microsoft's strategy. I see it working well if Microsoft can get the developers. That's why you don't see them pushing WM to consumers. But they are pushing UWP to developers hard right now. Only time will tell.

Here is the short list to why I have no regrets switching from Android to WM10. First I get to officially download and install beta software as part of the Windows Insider Program. So I get to tinker with new features without having to "hack" my phone. I see UWP as a viable platform for developers to create a unified experience across devices. I like the 950XL's camera for taking pictures at work, the removable battery, and I'm finding the dual SIM particularly interesting. I've been able to lower my monthly bill by taking advantage of a "family" plan with each line having separate data. Then switching which SIM uses data when the other nears its limit. So for me the experience has been great.

Flame suit on!

YUNG RAPUNX3L

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Welcome Back to Windows Mobile!

I came back to Windows mobile from my android LG G3, I left because of the app gap but when I went to android i only used snapchat which isn't here still but the app gap wasn't a big issue anymore because I thought I used more then I did, the android os I don't think is great as windows os is and now with windows 10 it's even better, I came back on a white Lumia 650

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Welcome Back to Windows Mobile!

"I came back on a white lumia 650" If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were talking about a horse :winktongue:

Welcome back :smile:

patrickhday

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

I actually made the switch back to WM. I missed it, but gave up on it after T-Mobile stopped supporting the Lumia 925. I picked up a brand new Lumia 950 XL from a friend for dirt cheap, and I gotta say it feels familiar. I dont game much other than the casual candy crush or bejeweled. I dont need the ten billion apps I wont ever used either. Since giving up the 925, I have gone through the iPhone 6 plus, 6s plus, Galaxy s6, Nexus 6p (which I love), LG G4, and landed on the V10 as its built like a panzer. The ironic thing for me is that my in car GPS stereo unit has an iPod connector, yet it wouldn't read incoming texts from iOS or Android, yet my 950 XL will allow me to hear incoming texts and reply over the stereo....weird. Although the 950 XL isnt the most well built or attractive phone in the world, it works and I still love the look of WM. Hopefully one day, WM will be an equal rather than a curiosity.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

I actually made the switch back to WM. I missed it, but gave up on it after T-Mobile stopped supporting the Lumia 925. I picked up a brand new Lumia 950 XL from a friend for dirt cheap, and I gotta say it feels familiar. I dont game much other than the casual candy crush or bejeweled. I dont need the ten billion apps I wont ever used either. Since giving up the 925, I have gone through the iPhone 6 plus, 6s plus, Galaxy s6, Nexus 6p (which I love), LG G4, and landed on the V10 as its built like a panzer. The ironic thing for me is that my in car GPS stereo unit has an iPod connector, yet it wouldn't read incoming texts from iOS or Android, yet my 950 XL will allow me to hear incoming texts and reply over the stereo....weird. Although the 950 XL isnt the most well built or attractive phone in the world, it works and I still love the look of WM. Hopefully one day, WM will be an equal rather than a curiosity.

Welcome back Sir :)

I am curious to know how the 950xl stacks up against the other phones you've owned? in terms of functionality mostly

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

The ironic thing for me is that my in car GPS stereo unit has an iPod connector, yet it wouldn't read incoming texts from iOS or Android, yet my 950 XL will allow me to hear incoming texts and reply over the stereo....weird.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but Google Now reads my text messages out loud. Whenever I get a text message notification, I just go, "OK Google. Read my messages", and then I can hear my messages out loud. I think the main difference is that Cortana prompts you automatically if you want to hear your message when it comes in, whereas with Android, you have to ask it to be read to you.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

My gravest concern is one day i will want to upgrade but where do I go from a 930. I want to stick with WM10 as I feel technically its now finally maturing as a stable release (long overdue)

lots of options -the 950 and 950xl, that acer phone with the long name, the x3 from hp etc. And more coming in the next one year

aleks88h

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: What Is The Breaking Point? When Is Enough Enough?

I recently bought a used 650 to play around with. I have a galaxy s7 as my main phone, but was curious what w10m was like as I haven't used wp since my Lumia 920 (which I loved). I love features such as combining info from Facebook with contact info from outlook etc.

Im starting a bachelor in IT tomorrow, and hope to get familiar with developing apps for windows 10 mobile. I hope windows 10 mobile survives as I think it has real promise. I just hope other developers agree.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Just ordered a Lumia 950 for my next daily driver for now as I've missed Windows for the past few years. Started back on WP 7 with a Lumia 800, then progressed with a 920, 925, 1020, 1320 and finally the 1520. I change phones frequently and in between all my Lumias I also jumped between every iteration of iPhone and Samsung Galaxy so I've certainly no bias regarding OS. I got the Lumia 800 first as I wanted something different from everyone else and as weird as it may sound I liked it being the kind of underdog and had a love hate relationship with each one trying to find apps or getting new features. Android and iOS seem to bore me quickly as they just work and it's too easy. I feel like I'm jumping onto the sinking ship when everyone else seems to be evacuating but most of the apps I need are still here and supported... Well except MFP now which is a bit of a bummer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05