I need my incoming SMS to be read to me, over BT, automatically and totally hands free.
    At the moment my 950XL executes this task perfectly.

It seems this function is no longer possible with Android, without a Paid app? Was this removed from Android phone?
    I would appreciate any help if someone has got a tip.
    Otherwise I feel as if I can finally walk away from Android phone if it cannot complete this task.
    aximtreo likes this.
    05-06-2016 07:25 PM
    Hi, have you asked this question on Android Central? They may be better placed to help you out. Glad you like the Windows feature!
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-09-2016 10:25 AM
    Yes, I asked there, specifically in the M9 forum.
    Guess I should move it to the General Android forum.
    I already listed the M9 for sale or trade on CL, but I priced it high, not ready to give up yet. Always good to have a spare, even better if the spare is not a cheap POS.
    Looking for a Nexus, last chance.
    Or an iPhone. Just to check it out. There seem to be several used ones on the market.
    Haven't played with IOS since early on. If I can get a good one for cheap, I think it would be worth the effort.
    05-11-2016 08:42 PM
    Yes, I asked there, specifically in the M9 forum.
    Guess I should move it to the General Android forum.
    I already listed the M9 for sale or trade on CL, but I priced it high, not ready to give up yet. Always good to have a spare, even better if the spare is not a cheap POS.
    Looking for a Nexus, last chance.
    Or an iPhone. Just to check it out. There seem to be several used ones on the market.
    Haven't played with IOS since early on. If I can get a good one for cheap, I think it would be worth the effort.
    Depends what phone you'll like to try really. You can get a 5s for less than $200, and it's when the 64bit started with iPhones.

As for the Nexus, there was/is a Project Fi deal where you can get the 5x for $199. Unless you mean the older Nexus, like the 6 or the 5.
    05-12-2016 10:38 AM
    After looking more through the questions posted in Android it does indeed seem the feature is missing.
    It also seems that IOS does not work as Windows Phone does. Saves my signing up with Apple.

No offers yet for the M9, but the more I use it, the less wear on my 950XL ? Not for much longer though as my device Lust is starting to kick in for WP again.
    05-12-2016 10:55 PM
    iOS can work handsfree but you'll need to prompt it. (Hey Siri helps)

As for Android, I have no clue, I have not stumbled on that feature, although I have not used Google Now.

I'm actually curious whether Cortana on Android is capable of it, but I'm not confident.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-13-2016 12:16 AM
    The Android Cortana does not list this function in the app description.

The M9 is updating to MM at this moment. When it is done I will try again.
    If that doesn't work I will try Cortana.
    If that does not work, I got an offer this morning to trade for a Nexus 6, my intended device 4 trades ago. Not sure I want it anymore though.
    05-13-2016 10:24 AM
    How much is the app? Just buy it. Lol

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    05-19-2016 01:00 AM
    Some android phones come with this functionality, from the manufacturer, they've laid out deals with various vendors.
    The issue, most of the text interpretation (I spent about a year doing architecture and leading a dev. team implementing various voice domains) is done off-site, i.e. not on your phone. Most of the text that's dictated to you is done locally, but if you can't ask your phone to do it, well, it's not so very handy.
    If you buy an app, you're typically buying a "service" that does this as well. Some android manufacturers and distributors have decided to bundle this, I'm pretty sure Google does, for example.
    That said, the integration on the Windows phones is REALLY nice, it was almost my "high bar" when I was working on this on other platforms...
    05-23-2016 09:00 PM