Why you think developers won't come to windows 10?

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Lately we are getting some apps, or some updates, like WhatsApp, Facebook, vine, instagram, etc. But still most of the developers won't make windows apps, why you think is that? The os still on baby mode? Or there are more problems? Windows 10 it supposed to reach millions of people with pc, Xbox and mobile so it shouldn't be a number problems to the developers

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
[NOTE]
Thread moved to general discussion.

"Ask a question" is designed to help members who have an immediate problem needing a quick answer.
Potential ongoing discussions are better suited to other forum sections relevant to the subject.​
[/NOTE]

CaptainCatSparrow

May 5, 2016
Visit site
I think it is the matter of market share among mobile platforms. Actually it won't be that easy to use the same app for pc,xbox and mobile and some specific customizations are required for each platform. I mean now companies who developed apps for android and iOS look mostly at W10 Mobile which is not so popular. It is the matter of time when developers will port their applications to W10 as I see it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that many apps are only useful for mobile devices, not for desktop/laptop/tablet PCs or game consoles. Therefore, low market share of mobile users makes developers shy away.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There is no one answer.

Different companies have different reasons. However, at this point market share trajectory is the biggest concern. Many companies just don't see a way to earn enough money with the "small" user base that remains, and most expect the situation to get worse. The trajectory is the main problem. If many companies thought there was a good chance of W10M taking off sometime soon, quite a few would be willing to risk the money it costs to make a W10M app. This issue is best summarized with the words "lack of confidence"!

Lack of confidence was always a problem, but up until about a year ago, where WP still had around 3 percent market share, earning potential wasn't the primary factor (edit: at least not for the larger companies that operate internationally). At that point the problem was that developing apps for WP diverted resources away from a company's iOS and Android efforts, which many just didn't think was a reasonable proposition. If a company had 70'000 extra to invest, and could chose whether to invest it in a new WP app, or invest it to improve their iOS or Android offerings, most companies felt that improving their iOS or Android offerings was the more important task, despite realizing they'd be leaving some potential in the WP market untapped.

Last edited:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I, personally, don't think it's going to improve in the short term. W10M is clearly aimed at the Enterprise market, in the first instance. MS have openly stated that they can't compete with the other two flavours. Once this period of retrenching has passed, I still see it being a work based system. Maybe, just maybe, if they can get people using it in a work environment, interest may be stimulated and developers may jump onboard, but we NEED UWA / UWP to get running. If that is adopted, along with the iOS bridge, who knows where we will end up? It's going to be a long game, which hopefully, the next gen devices will hopefully redefine, or even invent a new category or form factor to stimulate growth. The fact there are now quite a few OEM's on board shows, hopefully, that MS have learnt from the farce that was Windows Phone.

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
It's sad to see windows losing clients and developers, it's a circle, with no developers clients won't come and without clients developers won't come

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe MS can improve market share and put some pressure on developers by activating CDMA radios that would allow the largest carrier in the US (verizon) to use the latest MS Lumia phones. My daily driver is the HTC One M8 phone. Iuse mainly for calls and text. My beloved 950 xl is used for all other needs. I'm lucky that my work and home has good WiFi. The SIM card in the M8 is NANO. So is the 950xl. Turn On the radios and I immediately put my SIM card in and smile large.

More users, more market to bring more apps to the platform.

We don't even have the At Bat app for 2016' Guess what OS MLB uses to tell us that there is not enough demand for this app. there are half a billion or more Tablets, laptops and desktops using Windows OS. How many users does it take to constitute a market?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Having phones on Verizon wont make a jot of difference, WP marketshare is tanking globally, selling a few more on one carrier in the US wont change that and the corresponding lack of developer interest.

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Maybe MS can improve market share and put some pressure on developers by activating CDMA radios that would allow the largest carrier in the US (verizon)
I don't think that just one US carrier can make the difference, windows mobile is slowly dying at a global scale

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't think that just one US carrier can make the difference, windows mobile is slowly dying at a global scale

How do we know unless MS gives it a try. Doing this vs the not doing anything is worth a try. Verizon is the largest carrier in the and MS has done little little to open up the US market. I realize this is US centered but you have to start somewhere.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
We don't even have the At Bat app for 2016' Guess what OS MLB uses to tell us that there is not enough demand for this app. there are half a billion or more Tablets, laptops and desktops using Windows OS. How many users does it take to constitute a market?

Tablet, desktop, and laptop users have access to MLB TV without the app. The Store app MLB has had in the past was garbage anyway. I tried it, and immediately went back to the browser.

PC users add zero to the number of potential users. I mean, they COULD use the app, but they can use MLB services without it too. The app is little to no value for them.

djack10

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I think it is the matter of market share among mobile platforms. Actually it won't be that easy to use the same app for pc,xbox and mobile and some specific customizations are required for each platform. I mean now companies who developed apps for android and iOS look mostly at W10 Mobile which is not so popular. It is the matter of time when developers will port their applications to W10 as I see it.

Have to agree with this one. Having developed for Android, iOS and WP. WP and Visual Studio is still bar far the easiest to develop on by miles. Even with Xamarin, things have improved but as some point you have to deal with the end device and then its "oh dear"

Devs wont come to Windows, certainly not to make money. I've offered app development free for WP and people still aren't interested. No-one views WP as a serious contender unless Microsoft do something about it and they won't I think WP phone is doomed and the Surface phone will not make one iota of difference.

Eventually the novelty of iPhone will wear off and Google will conquer the world.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Tablet, desktop, and laptop users have access to MLB TV without the app. The Store app MLB has had in the past was garbage anyway. I tried it, and immediately went back to the browser.

PC users add zero to the number of potential users. I mean, they COULD use the app, but they can use MLB services without it too. The app is little to no value for them.

You have a great point about the app itself, but I love getting the news updates, along with the game start and all of those things you get with the app. I like to be in the loop for my team and team related news the most. I still think that is much better than nothing. The mobile website for my team sucks on IE when I tried it late last season. Hard to call yourself a fan if people have to tell you what's going on and you don't already know, because oh, no app, and the others really only tell the score (which is good but not enough for me).

The last useful thing that app told me before being pulled from the store is that Matt Williams (I'm a Nationals fan) was fired, with the rest of the coaching staff. I value news like that, pretty much more than anything.

As much as I would like to "flirt" with Windows Phone/Mobile, not having that app is a serious bummer, since I want news for just my team only. ESPN mostly reports on the "big and popular" teams, and occasionally the rest if news that is big comes out from them.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I love getting the news updates, along with the game start and all of those things you get with the app.

Yes it is true that notifications do add some value. I guess it doesn't mean much to me because I don't do much more than watch games, which IS very important to me by they way! On desktop though; is there a way to get notifications from the browser? I never tried with MLB, but I know that some sites do it, such as Facebook and Gmail. (Ha, as WP users we are accustomed to workarounds!)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yes it is true that notifications do add some value. I guess it doesn't mean much to me because I don't do much more than watch games, which IS very important to me by they way! On desktop though; is there a way to get notifications from the browser? I never tried with MLB, but I know that some sites do it, such as Facebook and Gmail. (Ha, as WP users we are accustomed to workarounds!)

Ooh, now that you said that, that makes a lot of sense actually about your comment. I never really watch games in the app, because blackouts are SO annoying. I'm not sure if there's a way, I haven't even tried. My phone has been sufficient (then again, I haven't used a WP as my actual phone since January, so my statement shouldn't be shocking). I have only been able to watch parts of games because I happen not to be home when it's on or I can't be in front of a TV at the time. :( I'm really looking forward to having a chance to watch a whole game soon.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else but when WP was my daily driver I would've paid for apps that are on other platforms for free. Such as banking, social or sports apps.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else but when WP was my daily driver I would've paid for apps that are on other platforms for free. Such as banking, social or sports apps.

It's not just you. Since the Twitter app was subpar, I bought the big popular apps for it that weren't free of course. Aeries, Tweetium, and some other one I can't recall. Metrotube for YouTube, etc. I understand. It was worth the money, but exactly our point.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
blackouts are SO annoying. I'm not sure if there's a way, I haven't even tried.

There isn't a way that I know of to watch blacked out games on mobile. On desktop it is simple. The mobile app uses the GPS (and probably the IP address too) for location. If you turn off GPS or turn on the setting to allow mock locations, the app senses that and won't stream a game. It used to be possible to spoof it, but now I do not think it is, at least not possible without serious hacking.

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site

I did the same, I bought a few twitter apps, a YouTube app and when Cortana wasn't around I bought hey dj to use voice recognition for the music

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo