Microsoft might be selling its Nokia phone business to Foxconn

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't know how shocking this can be being that MS threw in the towel, publicly, and will focus on businesses and fanboys. If the Surface Phone is a flop though, I believe that will truly be the end of all ends buy q4 2017.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
they got rid of s40 dumb phones so what? it never made sense even to most fanboys, but the media is spinning this like the end of lumia, like lumia were featurephones or something

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
that press release clearly states that the Hanoi Vietnam manufacturing facility and what is made there is being sold off and unfortunately for the Lumia line that includes the 950 and 950XL

wp_ss_20160521_0001.png

Last edited by a moderator:

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that in the case of windows phone, it's over. It's terminal now, I don't think there's anything that MS can do to revive it. Even UWP, it's not going to drag the mobile platform to where it needs to go. I thought there was some optimism a month ago, with some interesting announcements, but that's gone, and it's just going to regular run of the mill bad news all the time.

This last case of selling MS's remaining nokia assets may indicate a convergence in their mobile business and narrowing their strategy, but honestly, I don't think it's a winning strategy. They're just constantly flicking the reset switch, and that can only happen so many times until everyone gets sick of it.

Good news now is that we might see a decent nokia android phone.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Good news now is that we might see a decent nokia android phone.

It would be a Nokia in name only.... Like the Nokia Android tablet from last year. Foxconn built it, markets it and supports it. Nokia just lets them use the name and had some design input. (some say nokia designed it, some say they didn't, so who knows)

unless foxconn managed to get the Nokia design team that blew minds back together, it won't be the same...

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I follow with that, but apparently Nokia proper has licensed to HMD which apparently is a new company made up of ex nokia people, based in Finland.

So it's definitely the case that anything with Nokia will be a name only product, but I'm just hopeful that the design philosophy carries over to the new company that will be doing design.