Service odc.nokia.com is out of date

Mikexxxx

May 22, 2016
Visit site
When accessing maps, this nag screen comes up on my phone which can, due to a text input screen open at the same time, lock the phone requiring a restart.

Its incredibly annoying.

According to Firefox, "The certificate expired on 06 May 2016 00:59".

Is there any way forward, why is this the case?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way forward, why is this the case?

Mike,

What phone? What OS and version?

I'm suspecting you are on a legacy OS from Nokia's pre-Windows Phone days. It may be that the servers your phone is trying to access have been repurposed. For instance, if you were relying on the Ovi Store, that has been shuttered. Similarly, HERE (the successor of Ovi Maps) has been sold to other concerns...

Mikexxxx

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure what legacy has got to do with this?

Are you suggesting that a "repurposed" website would choose to use a "invalid security certificate"? Why would Nokia/MS do that?

Is this a way of persuading loyal Nokia users to jump ship?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what legacy has got to do with this?

I brought it up because I don't know what phone you have, what OS it runs or the version...

Nokia hasn't hosted Maps in some time so odc.nokia.com seems outdated to me and I suspect you are using a no longer supported Maps App.

Originally, it started as Navteq and Nokia bought them up in 2008. Nokia also had a proprietary mapping software called Nokia Maps which turned into Ovi Maps, then back to Nokia Maps. The Navteq and Nokia Maps operations were merged in 2011 and turned into HERE Maps in 2012. Nokia then sold all the HERE holdings and data to a consortium of German car makers in 2015.

Legacy has a big part in this. I have no idea which stage of this evolution your device is trying to access, but since Nokia no longer owns or maintains Map Data I feel that your device is reaching out to a service that no longer exists...

Are you suggesting that a "repurposed" website would choose to use a "invalid security certificate"? Why would Nokia/MS do that?

If Nokia repurposed the servers, that site no longer exists and they let the certificate expire. Nokia sold off all of it's phone business and no longer has any obligation to support those phones.

So without knowing your device, OS and version... I don't know where to follow up for you.

pyrocat

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
This just started on my Nokia N8 [Symbian Belle]. Haven't checked yet to see if my husband's Lumia has the same issue.

Up until this week with the certificate warning, Maps and Drive have worked flawlessly, mostly offline. I don't want to lose this capability even though my phone is both excellent and 'ancient'. Am trying to hold out until 2017 and new Nokia/Alcatel phones, but may consider Fairphone if I need one sooner.

How do I get rid of this warning?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre