The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    So youre on the lookout for a new phone, what do you consider as the most important?

Ecosystem?
    Screen Size?
    Battery life?
    Storage?
    Expandable storage or fixed?
    Main Camera capabilities?
    Screen resolution?
    Accessories?
    Front facing camera?
    Other unique capabilities?

Chime in below!
    Rank them in order going from 1 to 10 (1 being the least important and 10 being the most important)
    06-14-2016 02:26 PM
    1. Front facing camera - least important
    2. Screen size - 4.5-5.5 inch is comfortable
    3. Expandable storage - it's a bonus
    4. Storage - 32GB is sufficient, though 64GB is welcome
    5. Screen resolution - 1080p is great but 768p can do
    6. Wrist strap holder, dedicated camera button - these are really useful
    7. Accessories - camera grip or equivalent - water proof case would be nice too
    8. Battery life - this has to be great, a big battery is all I need, don't care for slimness
    9. Ecosystem - windows for me
    10. Main camera capabilities - the higher the MP, the faster the processing, the greater the control, the bigger the sensor
    06-15-2016 03:41 AM
    So youre on the lookout for a new phone, what do you consider as the most important?

Ecosystem?
    Screen Size?
    Battery life?
    Storage?
    Screen resolution?
    Accessories?
    Front facing camera?

Chime in below!
    Rank them in order going from 1 to 10 (1 being the least important and 10 being the most important)
    1. Unique things - Least Important
    2. Front facing camera
    3. Screen resolution
    4. Screen size
    5. Accessories
    6. Main Camera
    7. Ecosystem
    8. Expandable Storage
    9. Battery Life - Most Important

This about sums it up.

My current BlackBerry Z10 has a 720p screen, 4.2 inch screens, and a decent enough 8mp camera. I feel that they are all good enough for me.

However, this phone comes with an Expandable storage which is an absolute must. This phone can take an expandable battery that can double the battery life from the standard battery the phone comes with.

The battery life should be on the top of the list for any phone buyer, since the phone cannot do anything without the adequate battery life.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10
    07-01-2016 08:57 PM
    Wrist strap holder, dedicated camera button - these are really useful
    Agree with Chintan here 2 important things for me also.

Other stuff would be:
    Comfortable design (no hand gouging edges and slim design for in pocket comfort)
    Awesome photographic capabilities.
    3 gigs of RAM on average.
    Sharp and bright screen visible in full sun.
    07-01-2016 10:13 PM
    Interesting thread.

For me, it varies, which makes it kind of hard for me to answer this. Being able to use my phone one handed is important and nice for me to have. I like the small phone size factor quite a bit, but everything else just has to work.

1. Accessories - I really don't care about this at all, pretty minimalist lol
    2. Expandable storage or fixed - Indifferent really, two of my three phones have fixed storage.
    3. Storage - I care about this, but not as much as the people who cry out that 16gb isn't enough for a smartphone in 2016.
    4. Ecosystem - As someone who goes between OSes when I feel like it, I care, but it's hard to be a loyalist since I have things I love and hate about all three of the platforms. Not counting BB, sorry.
    5. Screen Size - 5.2" is my limit, but 4" is not too small for me at all. 4"-5.2" basically.
    6. Front facing camera - I like to take selfies occasionally when I'm in the mood to, so this is important. It's kind of why I have a hard time with the Lumia 640 FFC in non daylight, I'm spoiled by my other phones.
    7. Screen resolution - No WVGA or anything of that nature for me. It's either 720p or 1080p. Anything lower, I'll pass, always.
    8. Main Camera capabilities - Again, I like to take pictures occasionally, and having a decent camera is ideal so that I can always get the shots I want.
    9 (see below)
    10. Battery life - Nothing annoys me more than a phone with terrible battery life. Let me have a day at the minimum and I will be fine.

Other things? Both of these are tied for 9.
    -Customization: A phone that lacks this kind of makes me feel like I can't fully express myself. (Yeah, it might be sad that I feel that way about a phone, but eh.) This is the same girl that LOVES her green shell on her Lumia, and the Mint of my Nextbit Robin.
    -Simplicity: I really value this, regardless of it is the illusion or the actual deal. Anything that feels like it is just too much and overwhelming out the gate, I'm less likely to feel okay with the phone. I really don't always want to be the person who is always tinkering with their phone.

Funnily enough, this thread has made me realize why I have been restless with my trying of phones. I desire a phone that packs 9 and 10 together for me, provided that it has the apps that I need and I'm used to. Everything else, I can generally get from whatever phone I (have) decide(d) to try.
    07-01-2016 11:31 PM
    Ecosystem? 1 I use a lot of apps, and I need those to be available.
    Screen Size? 2 I like a bigger screen, as long as the bezels aren't huge
    Battery life? 5 If the device charges quickly, I don't need extremely long battery life, as I rarely am away from a charger.
    Storage? 3 I need enough space for my apps, music files (FLAC), and pictures.
    Expandable storage or fixed? 7 It doesn't matter if it's internal or uses SD cards. Either option works for media. Apps stay on internal storage.
    Main Camera capabilities? 4 I like a decent camera.
    Screen resolution? 6 It doesn't have to be the greatest, but I do like at least HD resolution.
    Accessories? 9 The only accessories I use are cases, and pretty much all phones can get cases.
    Front facing camera? 10 I'm not into selfies.
    Other unique capabilities? 8 I like dual front speakers, but they're not a deal breaker.
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 07-02-2016 at 12:05 AM.
    07-01-2016 11:39 PM
    Ecosystem?
    My App needs on a phone are pretty basic. I demand more out of a tablet or PC/laptop. Most of my phone use is limited to 15 minutes or less. News aggregation, weather, comm, calendar/reminders, light games and internally stored media. I don't look to my phone for much heavy lifting. I stay organized, informed and in touch. I'm mostly in and out fast. I don't rely on a phone as my primary means of internet/cloud use.

Screen Size?
    Having resisted the screen size increase for years, I'm now a convert. 4.5" feels cramped. Color me 5-6".

Battery life?
    Yes. Especially now that battery life with Li-Ion is measured in charge cycles. As a light to moderate user, if I'm not getting 2 days (and 1 overnight) out of a charge I'm a bit irritated. I can stretch my 1520 to 3 days at times... Because when I do hit a heavy use day I don't want to run out of battery. That's irksome as heck having to rely on finding a charger or resorting to a battery bank.

Storage?
    16GB is rapidly becoming my acceptable minimum. I've run through a few 8GB devices lately and they just don't conform to my use scenario: Apps and Maps on Internal for fastest and most stable operation.

More or less? Flexible or static? Convenience or frustration?

I wouldn't say it makes or breaks a decision all by itself, but I do appreciate a quality camera experience.

Screen resolution?
    720p is fine. 290ppi is alright: I believe in that "sweet spot" of 300ppi based on the evidence my eyes present and don't want to go significantly lower. My 1520 seems about perfect to me: 1080p and 367ppi. Great image without slurping lots of battery. I also believe there can be "wasted pixels" with the rush to 2k and 4k screens on sub 7" devices. Overall I would rather talk about viewing angles, adaptive brightness, sunlight readability and color fidelity.

Accessories?
    Pretty basic here as well. A case and screen protector. Basic headphones.

Front facing camera?
    I'm aware that my phones have this...

Sure, whatchu got?

Is color choice and the ability to easily change the color of a phone a capability?

Continuum intrigues me.

Dust and water anti-intrusion. Yep.

Unique is good.
    07-02-2016 12:48 PM
    10 - Screen Size
    The make-or-break specification. If it's too large, it's not for me. 5" is about the ceiling but I'd prefer smaller.
    As for a floor, it doesn't currently exist. Probably at 2" at the minimum for a minimal phone, 3.1" or more for something smarter.

4-4.7" is a good spot.

9 - Battery life
    It's a mobile phone after all!

8 - Ecosystem
    I don't have fancy needs, but I want to do what I need to. W10M checks most of the boxes but MS isn't being very attentive beyond OS updates.

7 - Main Camera capabilities
    I appreciate a nice camera immensely, but I think I have to compromise on the budget and older phones I run on.

6 - Storage
    32 GB fixed or 8 GB expandable. What matters is the phone equipped with it.

In no particular order:

Other unique capabilities
    I like my Qi and smaller UX stuff. It doesn't shape the entire decision though.

Expandable storage or fixed
    I've usually pick the phone by the other capabilities first. Expansion is a perk, but my preferences already slim the market enough.

Front facing camera
    I kinda damaged my 640's FFC glass (too much superglue) and I don't miss it. It's nice to have on an iPhone, but I can push it.

Accessories

Nice to have, but not necessary. Generic stuff work fine.

Screen resolution
    I don't mind lower resolution displays. They can be nice but 720p on a 5" display or 320x480 on a 3" display, if the phone is good enough I'll be happy overlook it like my Pre.
    07-02-2016 11:18 PM
    For me Ecosystem is number one, I like Windows, the logic of the OS appeals to me, the total integration of my account and devices, PC, tablet, Xbox One and phone, I have an Android phone for work and I don't think I could get the same integration by using non MS devices, and there is no way I could move to Apple products. But I have to state that this isn't a negative vote against other companies offerings, it's more I like the way MS and Windows is going.

So having established that it being a Windows phone above all other factors by a mile, the other options for me out of your list that decided my current phone were as follows.

Other unique capabilities 2 Having had a 1520 I wanted to try out Continuum so it was either wait for the HP/Surface phone or go with a phone now, so I was down to just a few choices.

Screen Size 3 Again having had the 1520, going down to a 5 inch phone was just too much of a jump.

Main Camera capabilities 4, couldn't have gone backwards on this.

Screen resolution 5, again wouldn't have been a good idea to go backwards.

Battery life 6, I am not a heavy user but there is no point in any other option if the phone has run out of battery when you need it.

Expandable storage or fixed 7, I have 500+ albums and it's good to be able to carry this around and not be worried if I can add a few hundred more so my phone and SP3 have the same selection at all times.

Storage 8, as above.

Accessories 9, this in some ways should have been higher, as having Continuum would be a bit silly without docking systems, keyboards, mice etc.

Front facing camera 10, never taken a selfie, too ugly........

Yes it's a 950 XL just in case you hadn't figured it out and after living with it for a month so far I am highly delighted with it, and find it daft that MS aren't selling it and Continuum before the others start to catch up.

EDIT: Sorry in wrong order by TechFreak1's OP
    Last edited by Bobvfr; 07-03-2016 at 06:59 AM.
    07-03-2016 04:39 AM