Planning to get a new phone

BrandonTeoh

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I am planning to get a new phone to replace the Lumia 720 (which still working fine with Windows Phone 8.1 just the Windows 10 Mobile thing). I have very few choices since I am not getting an Android and iPhones are too expensive and filled with gimmicks. I am wrestling with Lumia 640 and Lumia 650; the former has a Snapdragon 400 CPU and the latter is the latest phone from Microsoft (despite having 212 CPU)

I talked to my father on it and he claimed Snapdragon 2xx series is discontinued/outdated which I don't believe, and he really wanted me to go to the Android camp. I used his older HTC One M7 and I just miss the live tiles and the dark UI on Windows Phone. I am not a fan of dead icons which doesn't do anything and Google.
He told me and asked a few things:

1. Is the Lumia 650/640 futureproof?
2. Snapdragon 212 is outdated and the screen is 720p.
3. Since Microsoft is leaving the phone hardware business (for now), would it still justified to get a Lumia?
4. The price for Lumia 650 (as in Lazada.my) is RM 890 (219.34 USD); he told me with that money, he could get an Android phone (with 1080p display, SD 4xx CPU, all the bells and whistles) from Oppo, Huawei, etc.

Anyhow, I need to discuss with/convince my father on it when I meet him later this week, so I need to prepare some sort of defence. So any thoughts? Should I get a Lumia 650/640 OR Android with Microsoft apps?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Should I get a Lumia 650/640 OR Android with Microsoft apps?
1. As I understand you prefer Windows 10 Mobile over Android. If all the apps you need to do day-to-day work you're doing on your phone are available on Windows, then I would stick to Windows if I were you.

2. As far as I understand your budget is a bit limited, so I would compare eventual android phones in the same price range as Lumia 640 and 650 are in to 640 and 650. I personally would not consider buying a phone made by Chinese manufacturer but hey, it's your choice.

3. If you haven't done that yet, check the forums of 640 and 650, particularly the threads of user reviews so you are aware of pros and cons of each phone.

Hope that helped you.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Huawei makes some pretty decent phones as of late.
As for the 212, too many people make the mistake of just looking at the numbers. The performance is said to be better over the 640.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am planning to get a new phone to replace the Lumia 720 (which still working fine with Windows Phone 8.1 just the Windows 10 Mobile thing). I have very few choices since I am not getting an Android and iPhones are too expensive and filled with gimmicks. I am wrestling with Lumia 640 and Lumia 650; the former has a Snapdragon 400 CPU and the latter is the latest phone from Microsoft (despite having 212 CPU)

I talked to my father on it and he claimed Snapdragon 2xx series is discontinued/outdated which I don't believe, and he really wanted me to go to the Android camp. I used his older HTC One M7 and I just miss the live tiles and the dark UI on Windows Phone. I am not a fan of dead icons which doesn't do anything and Google.
He told me and asked a few things:

1. Is the Lumia 650/640 futureproof?
2. Snapdragon 212 is outdated and the screen is 720p.
3. Since Microsoft is leaving the phone hardware business (for now), would it still justified to get a Lumia?
4. The price for Lumia 650 (as in Lazada.my) is RM 890 (219.34 USD); he told me with that money, he could get an Android phone (with 1080p display, SD 4xx CPU, all the bells and whistles) from Oppo, Huawei, etc.

Anyhow, I need to discuss with/convince my father on it when I meet him later this week, so I need to prepare some sort of defence. So any thoughts? Should I get a Lumia 650/640 OR Android with Microsoft apps?

1. Well, probably as much as can be expected for now. The 650 coming with W10M makes using the WDRT easier.
Worth noting the 640 has a 25% larger battery than the 650.

2. The Snapdragon 200 series isn't discontinued to the best of my knowledge. I believe benchmarks have pegged the 212 and the older 400 as not too different. A 720p display at 5" isn't bad at all.

3. Well, if you are bent on getting a Windows Phone, it's hard to go wrong with a Lumia. Of course, you can consider the other manufacturers, but options aren't limitless.

4. I think you can get away with a decent Android phone for that price too and would strongly consider it. Depending on what's available.

BrandonTeoh

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Another thing is that my dad claims Qualcomm shouldn't make the 2xx series (due to its the lowest end of their chipset lineup) in the first place and most Android devices starts at 4xx and above, I am not sure if it is still true or not that Android requires more horsepower than Windows in general. Heck, even iOS stays snappy after a few iterations of updates (iPod Touch, 5th Gen; starts at iOS7 and now iOS9).

I finally tried out a Lumia 650 in a Microsoft store and I found it a bit laggy (maybe because it is a demo device?) especially in the lock screen and 'loading...' start screen after I exited the demo app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss