This thread is supposed to be ideas that would be interesting to see in the design of Windows Mobile. They could be outlandish, but my reason for posting it was I sat down to use my Surface this morning and had the thought, "Why doesn't Windows Phone look like this?" Similarly, I use an Android as my primary mobile device, and I thought, "Why does the notification area seem more useful in Android?"

When you turn on Windows Mobile, you are taken to the start screen and there is a bar across the bottom with Cortana, Windows, and Back Buttons. I think it would be a great idea to make the bar across the bottom the same or more similar to the Task Bar in Windows 10. Like add the ability to pin frequently used apps to the Task Bar and make it a functional Task Bar. If screen real estate is a problem, it could even be implemented in a way that lets you swipe up to see a wider task bar. Also, instead of pressing and holding the back button, they should have a 4th icon that is the same as the TaskView Icon on my Surface--just to make it the same across all devices.

This idea will probably get me hated by critics, but the Start Screen is too jarring for most users to switch. Instead, they could make it so there is a desktop that lets you pin app shortcuts (static icons), documents, etc just like in the PC. Then when you press the Windows key it would take you to the Start Menu with the same implementation on the PC environment. You might have to make it so that pressing and holding the start button takes you to the desktop or come up with a solution for that. The benefit to this would be uniformity between PC and mobile. It would also make it possible through continuum to already have things pinned to your desktop and taskbar that would make it that much more useful.

The notification area and live tiles should also work more together so that clearing notifications clear live tiles. The live tiles should be able to be grouped and rotated like in the desktop. And the notifications area should allow more things to be accomplished from the notification center. Like when you are playing music, a notification should appear to let you pause or close out your music player. When you are on the phone you should be able to hang up through the notification. If you are using a map, it should have your next direction pulled up. This could then be built into the PC environment as well to make the notification center there more useful. Right now, the notification center is just a place that I find out my PC updated overnight.
    06-23-2016 09:37 AM
    My ideal Windows 10 phone?

A Blackberry Passport Silver styled unit, though maybe a bit bigger, with upgraded internals: preferably a Snapdragon 830, 4-6GB of RAM, 128Gb internal storage, micro-SD to 2TB, usb-C port, micro-HDMI out, wireless charging, tap-and-pay capable, a 1:1 or 3:2 ratio AMOLED screen with Gorilla Glass 4, full touch-enhanced physical keyboard like the BB has now, and also passive stylus support, preferably attached ala Samsung Note series.

Have it capable of running the odd Android app if need be, but not a have-to request as the Win10 app store has all I use.

This would be a corporate-capable phone, much like the HP Elite x3 hopefully will be, but with the physical keyboard. I hate onscreen keyboards and use them only because there are no Windows phones with a physical keyboard.
    07-12-2016 11:09 AM
    My ideal Windows 10 phone?

A Blackberry Passport Silver styled unit, though maybe a bit bigger, with upgraded internals: preferably a Snapdragon 830, 4-6GB of RAM, 128Gb internal storage, micro-SD to 2TB, usb-C port, micro-HDMI out, wireless charging, tap-and-pay capable, a 1:1 or 3:2 ratio AMOLED screen with Gorilla Glass 4, full touch-enhanced physical keyboard like the BB has now, and also passive stylus support, preferably attached ala Samsung Note series.

Have it capable of running the odd Android app if need be, but not a have-to request as the Win10 app store has all I use.

This would be a corporate-capable phone, much like the HP Elite x3 hopefully will be, but with the physical keyboard. I hate onscreen keyboards and use them only because there are no Windows phones with a physical keyboard.
    have you tried using word flow? It's the best swiping keyboard on phones. I bet if you try it for a few days you'll forget about physical keyboards
    07-23-2016 05:40 AM
    Actually I have tried multiple swiping keyboards and haven't found one I like. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Like I said, I prefer physical keyboards. Learned to type on an IBM Selectric typewriter back in the early 80's. Used to type 60+ WPM with 1 or less errors. This was well before "keyboarding" was even envisioned. Just shows my age I guess.
    08-10-2016 01:36 PM
    As far as design goes. It would be interesting to go with as little bezel as possible. Japan recently designed a phone that can do just that.

japan-display-225x280.png

But how does one get the Camera and speaker to be able to have conversations? My solution would be a pop out camera like HP's new All-in-one computer has. It would be pretty slick.

hp-aio-micro-bezel-100659051-large.jpg

Putting that into a design would really allow for a nice large screen without having to carry around a huge phone. And it would at least give paranoid people who tape up their cameras peace of mind haha.
    08-11-2016 10:26 AM
    I would like to see a fingerprint lock

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    08-21-2016 05:17 AM
    Also the ability to run android apps or an easy way to convert android apps to windows apps

08-21-2016 05:20 AM
    I would like to see a fingerprint lock

Fingerprint lock will be coming . it was enabled in the AU so manufacturers should be producing phones that have fingerprint scanners.
    08-21-2016 06:04 AM