Lumia 950XL vs XIaomi Mi 5 - Experience

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
So the person sitting opposite me in office recently got a Xiaomi Mi5 and has continuously been trolling me about how he got a phone "much better" than mine at less than half the price. Everyday I would hear the rants about Megapixel this, Snapdragon 820 that, Antutu **** etc.

Today we decided to compare the cameras. Please note that this is just my experience, I do not have samples etc to share

Landscape Stills- I would give it to Xiaomi. The stills were almost as good as the 950XL
Low Light- MI5 is not even close. Much more noise than 950XL
4K Video- The Xiaomi has a 8 min hard limit set for 4K video recording. The 950XL recorded for 16 mins before the overheating message. Also, the Xiaomi 4K video has loads of dropped frames. Both were recording to internal memory
Slow Mo- 10 min 120fps video each, as expected the Lumia 950XL turned it into a 40 min 30fps video (39 minutes, 43 secs to be exact). The Xiaomi again had loads of dropped frames and the video produced was 35 min long only. 5 mins worth of dropped frames!

After this, I rubbed it in even more about how he will never be on the latest Android version and wait for MIUI updates forever.

I still believe that the Xiaomi Mi5 is any day more value for money than the 950XL or the iPhones, but the cheaper price comes at a cost of reliability,polish etc.

BustyBloke

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
So it looks like the "liquid cooled" Snapdragon 810 on the 950XL stays cool for longer when recording 4K than the current gen Snadragon 820 with no special cooling. Good to know!

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
So it looks like the "liquid cooled" Snapdragon 810 on the 950XL stays cool for longer when recording 4K than the current gen Snadragon 820 with no special cooling. Good to know!

Maybe. The Xiaomi has a hard limit in software, not sure how long it would go without that limit.

But, looking at the number of dropped frames in slow-mo, it looks like Xiaomi has not provided ample thermal envelope for the Mi5 CPU, or maybe as usual the MIUI Android build is not optimized.

holohglr

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I record 4K video with 950XL here for 1h without stopping and without any heating issue.
The heating issue you will get if you charge your battery and record video - only then. I got overheating message at 40 min while recording 4K and charge the battery.
So, if you want long time record of video, do not charge it at the same time.
Video is saved on SD card - Samsung 64GB Pro.
Best!

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I record 4K video with 950XL here for 1h without stopping and without any heating issue.
The heating issue you will get if you charge your battery and record video - only then. I got overheating message at 40 min while recording 4K and charge the battery.
So, if you want long time record of video, do not charge it at the same time.
Video is saved on SD card - Samsung 64GB Pro.
Best!
I think it depends on a few other factors, too, like ambient temperature. I live in a pretty warm country and have the Mozo leather case (which traps heat). I tried again directly in front of the AC with the back cover off and reached 1 hour 10 mins after which recording stopped because of a full SD card, but this hardly reflects real world use case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett