08-06-2016 01:47 PM
67 123
tools
    You're missing the point. Apps are a huge factor. Did you read any reviews for the 950/950xl every single review would mention the app gap and would tell people not to buy because of that. That was one of the issues. A buggy OS didn't help either.
    Again, there's something bigger at play here - perhaps companies are being paid to keep their apps off the platform. The result is what you guys are stressing about. It's like putting a band-aid over a gunshot wound.

But yet when a game like pokemon doesn't make it to windows mobile, it's a big enough game that every blog has to take a swipe at windows mobile by mentioning it's not on there.
    I've seen incredible amounts of bias, too. Why is that? "Journalists" (I use the term loosely) aren't supposed to give their 'opinions,' except for under an opinion piece.. yet it's almost impossible to read app or phone-related articles without someone crapping on Windows. Again, the root cause takes precedent to the app gap. Until MS fixes the cause, the situation won't improve. Developers & companies won't wake up one morning and decide to code a Windows app, if they haven't already.
    07-24-2016 04:08 PM
    Again, there's something bigger at play here - perhaps companies are being paid to keep their apps off the platform. The result is what you guys are stressing about. It's like putting a band-aid over a gunshot wound.

I've seen incredible amounts of bias, too. Why is that? "Journalists" (I use the term loosely) aren't supposed to give their 'opinions,' except for under an opinion piece.. yet it's almost impossible to read app or phone-related articles without someone crapping on Windows. Again, the root cause takes precedent to the app gap. Until MS fixes the cause, the situation won't improve. Developers & companies won't wake up one morning and decide to code a Windows app, if they haven't already.
    The cause is a multilevel conspiracy where Apple and Android are paying app developers not to develop for Windows? Product reviews by their nature are opinion pieces. Otherwise they would just be specification articles.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-24-2016 05:04 PM
    It's plausible. Services like Yahoo mail, also don't recognize Outlook as a legitimate mail app and subsequently denies syncing if you have the 'block unsafe apps' option switched on - the notification urges you to use Android or Iphone to check your mail.

It isn't just reviews that give opinions of Windows phones, articles (not reviews) are just as opinionated.
    07-24-2016 05:39 PM
    Ignoring the actual reasons it can't be this way...
    Hunh? What reasons What can't be What way?

My opinion? It is the way I stated for the reasons I stated it is so. It's my opinion not some thing I am stating as an absolute.

The only people referenced are me and I.

Are you saying I'm making something up and my opinion can't be valid for myself?

I really don't know what you are saying there...

...you prefer the current implementation over the original People Hub/Me Tile which linked all your social media posting and feeds into one location and allowed creating groups of people or just individual people tiles to follow?
    I don't do Social Media so that part of an ecosystem is absolutely meaningless to me on any platform. I don't follow anyone. I never used a Me Tile.

Not everyone is up to their eyeballs in FaceTwit.
    07-24-2016 05:46 PM
    Hunh? What reasons What can't be What way?

My opinion? It is the way I stated for the reasons I stated it is so. It's my opinion not some thing I am stating as an absolute.

The only people referenced are me and I.

Are you saying I'm making something up and my opinion can't be valid for myself?

I really don't know what you are saying there...

I don't do Social Media so that part of an ecosystem is absolutely meaningless to me on any platform. I don't follow anyone. I never used a Me Tile.

Not everyone is up to their eyeballs in FaceTwit.
    I'm not trying to say you are making up anything with the ignoring part. I am trying to say: I understand that Facebook won't let Microsoft have their own app integration anymore. So some of the changes in Windows Mobile are forced on Microsoft and beyond their power.

I did prefer the old integration of Facebook, Twitter, email, Messenger, LinkedIn, SMS, Skype, etc all in one person's contact tile, because it freed me up from social media apps. While other phones were app-centric in the Windows Phone 7 days, Microsoft was people-centric. That was what got me interested the first time. Also, back in that time, notifications were more primitive, and Live Tiles were the best notification system around. Gradually, for me the platform has moved away from its old model to the same app-centered model on iOS and Android without having the apps.
    07-24-2016 06:08 PM
    07-26-2016 05:44 AM
    For those that want Pokemon, windows mobile does not fit the bill. Anyone who does their research should see this. They are focusing more on the business crowd. I think people have to understand what they want. You can't be running a business hauling dirt, go out and by a Chevy Cruze, and then complain it doesn't have what you need.
    Last edited by xandros9; 07-26-2016 at 06:27 PM.
    07-26-2016 04:21 PM
    Originally posted by TgeekB
    They are focusing more on the business crowd. I think people have to understand what they want. You can't be running a business hauling dirt, go out and by a Chevy Cruze, and then complain it doesn't have what you need.
    I decided to move to Android, after a decade of Windows Mobile/Phone. I love Windows 10 Phone- it is beautiful and has well thought through features.

But my work uses Citrix Worx to access email/calendar functions. Sadly, this is not available on Windows 10 Phone (and there are no workarounds). Citrix is a pretty big deal in the business sector - so I am not 100% sure of the who the "business crowd" that they are focusing on.

While I haven't missed Snapchat or Pokmon, and lived without a banking app - one missing app is enough for me to leave.
    Chintan Gohel and libra89 like this.
    07-29-2016 06:02 PM
    I decided to move to Android, after a decade of Windows Mobile/Phone. I love Windows 10 Phone- it is beautiful and has well thought through features.

But my work uses Citrix Worx to access email/calendar functions. Sadly, this is not available on Windows 10 Phone (and there are no workarounds). Citrix is a pretty big deal in the business sector - so I am not 100% sure of the who the "business crowd" that they are focusing on.

While I haven't missed Snapchat or Pokmon, and lived without a banking app - one missing app is enough for me to leave.
    what citrix does - is it in any way competing with what MS does with office 365?
    07-30-2016 07:55 AM

While they are focusing on businesses, they are not perfect. We don't use Citrix Worx so I am unfamiliar with it.

Android has come a long way. I have a Moto G3 also and like it a lot. Inexpensive but very capable. I use it on the weekends mostly.

what citrix does - is it in any way competing with what MS does with office 365?
    After looking up what Citrix Worx is, yes, it looks like it in direct competition with Office 365. I'll stick with Office.
    Last edited by xandros9; 07-30-2016 at 08:40 PM.
    07-30-2016 08:08 AM
    After looking up what Citrix Worx is, yes, it looks like it in direct competition with Office 365. I'll stick with Office.
    there's your answer - the good thing with office 365 or any software released by MS, it can work on almost any platform - so there's one good reason people will move to 365
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-30-2016 09:00 AM
    One day of catching them all: 32 Pokmon, 17 different species :D

I can switch my work SIM, email and Skype from 40€ android to Lumia 640 (maybe even upgrade it to W10M and make clean hard reset) and keep using Windows mobile device that way. Square Home 2 (tested in cheap android) was to be used as alternative to modern start screen, but I didn't like it after all. Contacts is a mess, it looks like everyone who has ever sent mail to me (or vice versa) is listed there. I groomed contacts in the web down to under 100, but still 507 contacts on the phone... But then, on Lumia, Facebook birthdays gave two or three reminders :)

Now I can plan for IOT use for the cheap android. Windows mobile has benefit of starting to OS when charger gets power, so it remains to be seen if L820 with W10M will be top dog in that category ;) update: it looks like MS has closed the door to get W10M to back to L820 if I ever need to restore from 393.5, which - running as L830 - is likely thing to happen :(
    Last edited by Kimmo Toivanen; 07-30-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Insider builds closed from unsupported devices
    RumoredNow and Chintan Gohel like this.
    07-30-2016 04:39 PM
    One day of catching them all: 32 Pokmon, 17 different species :D

I can switch my work SIM, email and Skype from 40€ android to Lumia 640 (maybe even upgrade it to W10M and make clean hard reset) and keep using Windows mobile device that way. Square Home 2 (tested in cheap android) was to be used as alternative to modern start screen, but I didn't like it after all. Contacts is a mess, it looks like everyone who has ever sent mail to me (or vice versa) is listed there. I groomed contacts in the web down to under 100, but still 507 contacts on the phone... But then, on Lumia, Facebook birthdays gave two or three reminders :)

Now I can plan for IOT use for the cheap android. Windows mobile has benefit of starting to OS when charger gets power, so it remains to be seen if L820 with W10M will be top dog in that category ;) update: it looks like MS has closed the door to get W10M to back to L820 if I ever need to restore from 393.5, which - running as L830 - is likely thing to happen :(
    There's a fix for that email/contacts thing. I don't remember what I did. I think it is a gmail issue and that I either logged into gmail with a computer and deleted all of them using or who knows. I use Outlook for my contacts anyway, so I might have just deleted all gmail contacts or turned them off.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-30-2016 08:02 PM
    There's a fix for that email/contacts thing. I don't remember what I did. I think it is a gmail issue and that I either logged into gmail with a computer and deleted all of them using or who knows. I use Outlook for my contacts anyway, so I might have just deleted all gmail contacts or turned them off.
    :)

I ended up to delete all contacts from the phone, import from Lumia to phone via BT and set address book to phone contacts only. After deleting a few odd ones, list is equal to Lumia contacts. Outlook doesn't seem to get contacts sync running unfortunately.
    07-31-2016 04:30 AM
    Windows 10 Mobile has what it has, and it doesn't have what it doesn't. Those included.
    Windows 10 Mobile has NOTHING.

They are focusing more on the business crowd. I think people have to understand what they want.
    Really? As far as I know, the enterprise world will rather be using Blackberry, or rather iPhones. Never I have seen any companies using windows phone as their enterprise phones. Microsoft is still living in delusion.
    Last edited by xandros9; 07-31-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    07-31-2016 07:55 AM
    Really? As far as I know, the enterprise world will rather be using Blackberry, or rather iPhones. Never I have seen any companies using windows phone as their enterprise phones. Microsoft is still living in delusion.
    You're talking about the past, I'm talking about the future. Windows is used on business computers across the world. As their phones begin to bring the same experience, their hope is that businesses will use them too.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    07-31-2016 09:05 AM
    More and more apps are coming every day.
    If it doesn't fit your needs, move on.
    stevemind66 and Chintan Gohel like this.
    07-31-2016 09:07 AM
    It's only missing a couple apps for me to use my 950 daily. The nest apps on windows are terrible and slow and I would really hope wells Fargo gets on board with wallet 2.0. I like the os but I am much more productive with my iPhone. But I keep my 950 updated and check in almost daily to see what's new. One day they'll get it.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-31-2016 09:54 AM
    It's only missing a couple apps for me to use my 950 daily. The nest apps on windows are terrible and slow and I would really hope wells Fargo gets on board with wallet 2.0. I live the os but I am much more productive with my iPhone. But I keep my 950 updated and check in almost daily to see what's new. One day they'll get it.
    It is certainly a work in progress, no doubt. The next year or two will be very interesting and the anti-fragmentation strategy by Microsoft should pay off.
    mlbrowninsc and Chintan Gohel like this.
    07-31-2016 09:58 AM
    Not a lot, but not nothing.
    TgeekB, libra89 and Chintan Gohel like this.
    07-31-2016 10:35 AM
    Also hoping the apps we have get better like their IOS counterparts. With so many differences on apps between platforms I have to think its something to do with the OS or limitations in developing for the os.
    07-31-2016 11:08 AM
    A month from now people will be thinking Pokemon is the famous Jamaican proctologist. Right now I'm only missing PayPal.
    07-31-2016 11:21 AM
    I don't think it will fade away that soon but I folks should just either like what they have or just move on to what does. Wether it be iOS windows or android . No Pokmon may not come to Windows . So come to iOS ! The game broke records! But don't bash windows for not having " nothin" it may have just enough of what many want . Still have my 1520 laying around ....awesome phone but windows slowed down for me and so I moved but can't say I won't return but only if it's totally on par or above iOS and android in all terms! But I don't hate on windows one bit!!
    07-31-2016 11:47 AM
    the famous Jamaican proctologist.
    laughing-seal.jpg
    07-31-2016 11:57 AM
    I just found a game app: Sniper 3D Assassin: Shoot to Kill, and I think it's as good a quality app as I have ever seen on a phone.. KUDOS to the developer (It may turn me into a gamer.. LOL)

Have you tried out the game overkill3 its pretty cool too
    Chintan Gohel and mtf1380 like this.
    08-01-2016 02:13 AM
67 123