No: Snapchat, Banking Apps, Pok?mon Go?

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Oh yeah, I've seen countless claims of people moving. But there were also people saying more of the same before Pokemon was released.
Windows Phone was never an app-centric mobile operating system. It's no secret.

I also seen people on Reddit say they "didn't know Microsoft made phones," too. (Outside of the windowsphone subreddit)

The problem is much, much bigger than the app store.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Oh yeah, I've seen countless claims of people moving. But there were also people saying more of the same before Pokemon was released.

I also seen people on Reddit say they "didn't know Microsoft made phones," too. (Outside of the windowsphone subreddit)

You're missing the point. Apps are a huge factor. Did you read any reviews for the 950/950xl every single review would mention the app gap and would tell people not to buy because of that. That was one of the issues. A buggy OS didn't help either.

Apps being released on windows phone is free advertisement as well. When an app is released it usually says "available on ios/android". Adding the "Windows mobile" already adds extra exposure. Blogs always write about "apps/games of the week". OS Availability is always mentioned and you never see windows mobile. No one really even notices though. It would stick out like a sore thumb if it was there. People would wonder what the heck is that?

But yet when a game like pokemon doesn't make it to windows mobile, it's a big enough game that every blog has to take a swipe at windows mobile by mentioning it's not on there. They never mention it for other stuff but for this game it was on every tech blog.

Advertising, more OEM involvement is also a big thing.

This is also part of the reason why MS has said it won't focus on mobile till next year. They are trying to build an ecosystem first, perfect the OS and in the meantime design the hardware and draw more OEMs in. And only then can MS really focus on advertising and exposure. I think that with all those things in place MS could definitely increase its market share. Advertising alone accounts for a lot of user's choices. Add OEM advertising to that. And if the app gap problem isn't as big and we start seeing UWP pay off a year from now, then employees at these stores are less likely to get people away from Microsoft mobile.

I think the problem with MS is that public miscommunication that makes people think that they are abandoning mobile This perception has a lot of people weary of investing in new phones. Even people who are fans. MS has always been the worst at communicating. Even saying something like "focusing on enterprise" gets people thinking they are abandoning consumer. But an enterprise phone still has to be a consumer phone just have extra features and integrate to full management solutions. The people using them for work are consumers. They need to be able to do everything a consumer phone would do but MORE. Enterprise is a great way to gain exposure. People who never knew what a windows phone was now get to try it out at work. Maybe even tell their friends about the cool features they discover. MS does look to be putting effort into more consumer apps, but the world is hearing something else due to bad wording. Hopefully with Satya's restructuring they may create a better system for communication between their PR and their internal teams.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Some people like to chase the latest fad or app. I think people need to decide what they really need and then pick the ecosystem that best fits those needs. That way you may miss a fad or two but will have the solid foundation you need.

I think everyone misses the point on social apps. My wife was running a summer camp. All of the kids got PokemonGo and would go out and play together. One of the kids had a Windows Phone and hated it because he couldn't play with the other kids. It is like getting the newest version of Madden Football or Mortal Kombat, then inviting your friends over and you have just one controller. No one wants to sit on the side line.

Windows Phone also used to be PeopleCentric, but what is it -centric to now? Cortana-centric?

Last edited by a moderator:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone also used to be PeopleCentric, but what is it -centric to now? Cortana-centric?

For me it always was and remains... Me-centric.

The way the UI surfaces what I want out of a pocketable smart device is still what holds me here. I find the way it accomplishes things more efficient in bringing my information to me. Live Tiles are a huge plus. Notifications are working better than ever for me. The Start Screen has what I want on it and only what I want, at the informational level I choose.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
For me it always was and remains... Me-centric.

The way the UI surfaces what I want out of a pocketable smart device is still what holds me here. I find the way it accomplishes things more efficient in bringing my information to me. Live Tiles are a huge plus. Notifications are working better than ever for me. The Start Screen has what I want on it and only what I want, at the informational level I choose.

Ignoring the actual reasons it can't be this way, you prefer the current implementation over the original People Hub/Me Tile which linked all your social media posting and feeds into one location and allowed creating groups of people or just individual people tiles to follow? For me Notifications are still inferior to how they work on Android, though Microsoft is copying more from them. In the original situation, I remember thinking, "who needs notifications, live tiles show me all the same information as the notifications." Now I don't even think the live tiles work as well for this anymore, just because I have no way to clear the live tiles of useless information without opening the app.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
You're missing the point. Apps are a huge factor. Did you read any reviews for the 950/950xl every single review would mention the app gap and would tell people not to buy because of that. That was one of the issues. A buggy OS didn't help either.
Again, there's something bigger at play here - perhaps companies are being paid to keep their apps off the platform. The result is what you guys are stressing about. It's like putting a band-aid over a gunshot wound.

But yet when a game like pokemon doesn't make it to windows mobile, it's a big enough game that every blog has to take a swipe at windows mobile by mentioning it's not on there.
I've seen incredible amounts of bias, too. Why is that? "Journalists" (I use the term loosely) aren't supposed to give their 'opinions,' except for under an opinion piece.. yet it's almost impossible to read app or phone-related articles without someone crapping on Windows. Again, the root cause takes precedent to the app gap. Until MS fixes the cause, the situation won't improve. Developers & companies won't wake up one morning and decide to code a Windows app, if they haven't already.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Again, there's something bigger at play here - perhaps companies are being paid to keep their apps off the platform. The result is what you guys are stressing about. It's like putting a band-aid over a gunshot wound.

I've seen incredible amounts of bias, too. Why is that? "Journalists" (I use the term loosely) aren't supposed to give their 'opinions,' except for under an opinion piece.. yet it's almost impossible to read app or phone-related articles without someone crapping on Windows. Again, the root cause takes precedent to the app gap. Until MS fixes the cause, the situation won't improve. Developers & companies won't wake up one morning and decide to code a Windows app, if they haven't already.

The cause is a multilevel conspiracy where Apple and Android are paying app developers not to develop for Windows? Product reviews by their nature are opinion pieces. Otherwise they would just be specification articles.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
It's plausible. Services like Yahoo mail, also don't recognize Outlook as a legitimate mail app and subsequently denies syncing if you have the 'block unsafe apps' option switched on - the notification urges you to use Android or Iphone to check your mail.

It isn't just reviews that give opinions of Windows phones, articles (not reviews) are just as opinionated.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ignoring the actual reasons it can't be this way...

Hunh? What reasons What can't be What way?

My opinion? It is the way I stated for the reasons I stated it is so. It's my opinion not some thing I am stating as an absolute.

The only people referenced are me and I.

Are you saying I'm making something up and my opinion can't be valid for myself?

I really don't know what you are saying there...

...you prefer the current implementation over the original People Hub/Me Tile which linked all your social media posting and feeds into one location and allowed creating groups of people or just individual people tiles to follow?

I don't do Social Media so that part of an ecosystem is absolutely meaningless to me on any platform. I don't follow anyone. I never used a Me Tile.

Not everyone is up to their eyeballs in FaceTwit.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hunh? What reasons What can't be What way?

My opinion? It is the way I stated for the reasons I stated it is so. It's my opinion not some thing I am stating as an absolute.

The only people referenced are me and I.

Are you saying I'm making something up and my opinion can't be valid for myself?

I really don't know what you are saying there...

I don't do Social Media so that part of an ecosystem is absolutely meaningless to me on any platform. I don't follow anyone. I never used a Me Tile.

Not everyone is up to their eyeballs in FaceTwit.

I'm not trying to say you are making up anything with the ignoring part. I am trying to say: I understand that Facebook won't let Microsoft have their own app integration anymore. So some of the changes in Windows Mobile are forced on Microsoft and beyond their power.

I did prefer the old integration of Facebook, Twitter, email, Messenger, LinkedIn, SMS, Skype, etc all in one person's contact tile, because it freed me up from social media apps. While other phones were app-centric in the Windows Phone 7 days, Microsoft was people-centric. That was what got me interested the first time. Also, back in that time, notifications were more primitive, and Live Tiles were the best notification system around. Gradually, for me the platform has moved away from its old model to the same app-centered model on iOS and Android without having the apps.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
For those that want Pokemon, windows mobile does not fit the bill. Anyone who does their research should see this. They are focusing more on the business crowd. I think people have to understand what they want. You can't be running a business hauling dirt, go out and by a Chevy Cruze, and then complain it doesn't have what you need.

lynehanmmike

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by TgeekB
They are focusing more on the business crowd. I think people have to understand what they want. You can't be running a business hauling dirt, go out and by a Chevy Cruze, and then complain it doesn't have what you need.

I decided to move to Android, after a decade of Windows Mobile/Phone. I love Windows 10 Phone- it is beautiful and has well thought through features.

But my work uses Citrix Worx to access email/calendar functions. Sadly, this is not available on Windows 10 Phone (and there are no workarounds). Citrix is a pretty big deal in the business sector - so I am not 100% sure of the who the "business crowd" that they are focusing on.

While I haven't missed Snapchat or Pok?mon, and lived without a banking app - one missing app is enough for me to leave.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I decided to move to Android, after a decade of Windows Mobile/Phone. I love Windows 10 Phone- it is beautiful and has well thought through features.

But my work uses Citrix Worx to access email/calendar functions. Sadly, this is not available on Windows 10 Phone (and there are no workarounds). Citrix is a pretty big deal in the business sector - so I am not 100% sure of the who the "business crowd" that they are focusing on.

While I haven't missed Snapchat or Pok?mon, and lived without a banking app - one missing app is enough for me to leave.

what citrix does - is it in any way competing with what MS does with office 365?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

While they are focusing on businesses, they are not perfect. We don't use Citrix Worx so I am unfamiliar with it.

Android has come a long way. I have a Moto G3 also and like it a lot. Inexpensive but very capable. I use it on the weekends mostly.

what citrix does - is it in any way competing with what MS does with office 365?

After looking up what Citrix Worx is, yes, it looks like it in direct competition with Office 365. I'll stick with Office.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
After looking up what Citrix Worx is, yes, it looks like it in direct competition with Office 365. I'll stick with Office.

there's your answer - the good thing with office 365 or any software released by MS, it can work on almost any platform - so there's one good reason people will move to 365

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
One day of catching them all: 32 Pok?mon, 17 different species :D

I can switch my work SIM, email and Skype from 40€ android to Lumia 640 (maybe even upgrade it to W10M and make clean hard reset) and keep using Windows mobile device that way. Square Home 2 (tested in cheap android) was to be used as alternative to modern start screen, but I didn't like it after all. Contacts is a mess, it looks like everyone who has ever sent mail to me (or vice versa) is listed there. I groomed contacts in the web down to under 100, but still 507 contacts on the phone... But then, on Lumia, Facebook birthdays gave two or three reminders :)

Now I can plan for IOT use for the cheap android. Windows mobile has benefit of starting to OS when charger gets power, so it remains to be seen if L820 with W10M will be top dog in that category ;) update: it looks like MS has closed the door to get W10M to back to L820 if I ever need to restore from 393.5, which - running as L830 - is likely thing to happen :(

Last edited:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
One day of catching them all: 32 Pok?mon, 17 different species :D

I can switch my work SIM, email and Skype from 40€ android to Lumia 640 (maybe even upgrade it to W10M and make clean hard reset) and keep using Windows mobile device that way. Square Home 2 (tested in cheap android) was to be used as alternative to modern start screen, but I didn't like it after all. Contacts is a mess, it looks like everyone who has ever sent mail to me (or vice versa) is listed there. I groomed contacts in the web down to under 100, but still 507 contacts on the phone... But then, on Lumia, Facebook birthdays gave two or three reminders :)

Now I can plan for IOT use for the cheap android. Windows mobile has benefit of starting to OS when charger gets power, so it remains to be seen if L820 with W10M will be top dog in that category ;) update: it looks like MS has closed the door to get W10M to back to L820 if I ever need to restore from 393.5, which - running as L830 - is likely thing to happen :(

There's a fix for that email/contacts thing. I don't remember what I did. I think it is a gmail issue and that I either logged into gmail with a computer and deleted all of them using or who knows. I use Outlook for my contacts anyway, so I might have just deleted all gmail contacts or turned them off.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
There's a fix for that email/contacts thing. I don't remember what I did. I think it is a gmail issue and that I either logged into gmail with a computer and deleted all of them using or who knows. I use Outlook for my contacts anyway, so I might have just deleted all gmail contacts or turned them off.

:)

I ended up to delete all contacts from the phone, import from Lumia to phone via BT and set address book to phone contacts only. After deleting a few odd ones, list is equal to Lumia contacts. Outlook doesn't seem to get contacts sync running unfortunately.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile has what it has, and it doesn't have what it doesn't. Those included.

Windows 10 Mobile has NOTHING.

They are focusing more on the business crowd. I think people have to understand what they want.

Really? As far as I know, the enterprise world will rather be using Blackberry, or rather iPhones. Never I have seen any companies using windows phone as their enterprise phones. Microsoft is still living in delusion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb