Should I get an iPhone?

Friend42

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone, I have owned a Lumia 925 for a year or two and already switched to an Xperia Z3 later on. I switched only because my Xperia claimed to be Waterproof and it provided me with apps that were missing from the Lumia 925. (I still had Windows Central on my Android) So recently, I've been hearing about Starbucks and Bank of America coming to Windows Phone, which is great because I use those a lot on my Xperia but I see you guys still don't have Snapchat. :mad: I've seen videos of people using Project Astoria but I cant get it to run on my Lumia 925 (Error Code = 8). Also, Here Maps has left, what navigation maps are available on Windows 10 Mobile? I'm asking because my Xperia has:

-stopped receving updates from T-Mobile (No Marshmallow :( )
-the sound is too quiet when I make a call or play anything that I could barely hear anything (925 is much louder)
-It's restarting on its own
-My warranty expired
-A broken proximity sensor (so everytime someone calls, my screen turns black until the other end hangs up. This probably happened when I tested it in water)
-Sony Mobile has left the North American Market (No repairs)
Yes, I'm never buying a phone from Sony ever again

Anyway, I was thinking of buying a new Lumia 950, but many people online are reporting a lot of problems with the device, especially on AT&T Wireless. I'm so done with being left behind like the Lumia 925 not getting Windows 10 and Xperia Z3 (D6616) not getting Marshmallow. I honestly would love getting another Windows Phone but it needs to be stable, Androids are known for being unstable and Apple is known for being too simple, I want choice and I want it to work just like my Lumia 925 worked. Should I just get an iPhone SE? My entire family ALL have iPhones but I like being myself.

Note:
I own both an Apple TV and a Google Chromecast (They're on the same TV), I would like it if my phone could operate at least one of the two.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone, I have owned a Lumia 925 for a year or two and already switched to an Xperia Z3 later on. I switched only because my Xperia claimed to be Waterproof and it provided me with apps that were missing from the Lumia 925. (I still had Windows Central on my Android) So recently, I've been hearing about Starbucks and Bank of America coming to Windows Phone, which is great because I use those a lot on my Xperia but I see you guys still don't have Snapchat. :mad: I've seen videos of people using Project Astoria but I cant get it to run on my Lumia 925 (Error Code = 8). Also, Here Maps has left, what navigation maps are available on Windows 10 Mobile? I'm asking because my Xperia has:

-stopped receving updates from T-Mobile (No Marshmallow :( )
-the sound is too quiet when I make a call or play anything that I could barely hear anything (925 is much louder)
-It's restarting on its own
-My warranty expired
-A broken proximity sensor (so everytime someone calls, my screen turns black until the other end hangs up. This probably happened when I tested it in water)
-Sony Mobile has left the North American Market (No repairs)
Yes, I'm never buying a phone from Sony ever again

Anyway, I was thinking of buying a new Lumia 950, but many people online are reporting a lot of problems with the device, especially on AT&T Wireless. I'm so done with being left behind like the Lumia 925 not getting Windows 10 and Xperia Z3 (D6616) not getting Marshmallow. I honestly would love getting another Windows Phone but it needs to be stable, Androids are known for being unstable and Apple is known for being too simple, I want choice and I want it to work just like my Lumia 925 worked. Should I just get an iPhone SE? My entire family ALL have iPhones but I like being myself.

Note:
I own both an Apple TV and a Google Chromecast (They're on the same TV), I would like it if my phone could operate at least one of the two.

Here's what I have to say about that:

1. Project Astoria is dust. It no longer exists as far as Windows 10 Mobile is concerned.

2. The built in Maps is the default mapping solution for most.

3. You may want to look into custom ROMs if you're technically inclined enough for updates and extra features at the cost of a steep learning curve.

3b. Although to be honest is sounds like it's just breaking. Third-party repair is also an option or selling the phone for parts.

4. The 950 and W10M was a very problematic beast when it launched. Even now, while vastly improved, I think Michael Fisher's 950 and 950 XL coverage is something you want to watch.
Know that online, those with issues dramatically outweigh those who don't have issues.
Phones will tend to have one defect or another but it doesn't mean every single one is toast.

5. If you need stability, get an iPhone. In my experience with Android, it's stable enough (of course it varies since Samsung adds on its own "secret sauce", Nexus devices are clean, etc) and Windows Phone 8.x was as stable as iOS.

Windows 10 Mobile has been more unstable than Android in my experience. Don't get me wrong, both are solid on the surface but W10M just tends to have an app crash or otherwise choke when I need it more often than the others.

I'd honestly recommend you go iPhone. If you're too timid, maybe getting a used older iPhone like the 5S is a good way to dip your toe in.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The W10M Anniversary update will bring a whole new level of stability to the platform. My 950XL is running better with every build it gets.

Having said that, if you want apps, go with the iPhone.

Friend42

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you guys for replying so quick :)

Anyway, I was going to ask, is there any capability of using the Chromecast or Apple TV with a Windows 10 Mobile device to use a 'cast' function? I know that their is some mirroring capabilities but that wastes a lot of battery since it must route through the phone. I have an Apple TV and Chromecast and I'm willing to purchase another adapter if necessary.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs