Which Windows Phone gave you best experience?

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Which of the Windows phones you've owned has been your favorite?

Out of my 920/1020/1520/950XL, I have to go with the 950XL.

920 had a great camera with OIS, but was pretty heavy
1020 had the amazing camera and Xenon flash, but was too slow
1520 had good camera and ridiculous battery life, but was a bit too big, heavy, and slippery
950XL has a great camera, is fast, and is lightweight. And the FFC is miles above that of the 1520

Now if MS would produce something like the 950XL, give it a more premier feel, a Xe flash, and better battery life that'd be great. If they could do it for under $500, it would be my next phone. Having a finished OS at launch would also be nice.

You'll need to change your name to Joe950XL...

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Samsung Focus
Lumia 900
Lumia 920
Lumia 5XX (don't remember the number)
Lumia 1520
Lumia 930
Lumia 640
Lumia 950

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

Samsung Focus Flash- 1st WP phone was amazed at the platform, saw some great things for the future. I still play some of my old WP7 games on it.

Lumia 520- having loved my FF but the honeymoon worn off at the time I was back on iOS with a 4 or 4s , I was sad that it would not receive WP8. I picked a 520 to try 8.0. Loved it it was so much device for 99$ off contract. I loved having different shells and colors to match my theme. Its now my alarm clock.

Lumia 920- I was back to WP in full force WP8 had convinced me on my 520. I loved looking at reviews and photos taken by the higher numbered Lumias. I picked up a 920. Blown away. The camera was so good for the time, the Nokia Camera app was great, the device while heavy was so fast and sleek and really stood out in the crowd.(Mine was red). I really enjoyed this phone. Loved the Qi. its currently running all my old delisted games great on 10586.494

Lumia 1020- I bought this phone because of the camera hype. I had mixed feeling about this phone, it was fast, but awkward to hold with the camera bump, the camera was really good, but slow. I didn't use this one for very long, now I just do still photography with it using the camera grip, its on 8.1 forever.

Lumia 635- Used this phone occasionally, was solid. I found it a little small and not having a flash kinda sucked. Gave it to the kids to play games.

Lumia 640- This is the phone that could. I paid 79.99 for it at Wal Mart when it first hit GoPhone. I really liked this phone, it was light the camera decent for a burner phone. It was fast. It had a SD. This phone was great and I still use it as I tried all the RS builds. Loved having different colored shells again.

Lumia 830- My most recent DD running 10586.494. Great phone, fast, good camera, SD slot, changeable backs. I am happy enough with this one to hold off on a 950.

So what was my favorite?

830 or 920 is toss up. The others are always apart of my device history I wont forget.

I always wanted to try a 900 and 925 or M8. Maybe someday.

I also used a Galaxy S2, Nexus 5, HTC One M7 and iPhone 4/5c/6 as well during my device journey.

Haha Samsung Focus was my first foray into WP as well then I later got HTC Surround/Titan II Lumia 520/1 635/40 830 920/5. Right now I'm on Android (best decision for now) because of WP was becoming irrelevant at the time sigh one day maybe WP/M again.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

gbm97

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site

The Lumia 435 because its small and chunky, gives great performance on Windows 10 Insider Fast.
Fits in my shirt pocket and stays there when I'm bent over most times.
When and if it ever it breaks I go buy another 435 for about the same price of 4 medium pizzas.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

The Lumia 435 because its small and chunky, gives great performance on Windows 10 Insider Fast.
Fits in my shirt pocket and stays there when I'm bent over most times.
When and if it ever it breaks I go buy another 435 for about the same price of 4 medium pizzas.

How much are medium pizzas where you are?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I've had one phone only, the amazing 1020. I have none now but that was and is my best phone

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

I have owned the following:

...the 720 (excellent and tough device);
...the 830 (elegant but somehow did not catch my fancy);
...the 1520 (an amazing device - a favourite - though a bit impractical for me to carry around as a phone);
...the 640XL (another amazing device and tough as nails - another favourite);
...and now the 950XL (one of the best devices I have ever owned though I don't really want to test its robustness - I simply love its bland and minimalistic looks and the way the hardware recedes into the background when the screen is on - this is my current favourite device).

NatKingColeslaw

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site

I first owned an HTC Trophy, then a Lumia 822, and now a Lumia 640. I despise the sleek curved phones everyone seems to drool over, I want square edges. For this reason (and Windows 10), I like the 640 the best. Hoping a Surface Phone delivers me the ergonomics I'm looking for.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

920 - full of new tech (OIS/wireless charging). Felt good. Unique. Loved it.
640 - super cheap, slim and light. A phone you can just enjoy
950/xl - What Windows 10 Mobile should feel like on a phone

adebo

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Happy to be back to WP with my 950XL, but the 920 by far was my favorite. A lot of firsts came with that phone, must be the nostalgia.

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

1. Lumia 920-- Battery was a waste
2. Lumia 1520- Camera was AWESOME, the only thing lacking was apps + Ghost touch issue ( size was little challenging sometimes)
3. Lumia 640XL - bang for buck. Storage should've been 16GB at least. Camera is good, lags sometimes (maybe because apps are stored in SD card instead of internal memory.

Lumia's should have 32GB memory + SD card by default. App gap is not a big issue now a days, options are available. Looks MS is not interested in investing in it anymore.

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Actually had the dreaded ghost touch issue with the 1520. Replaced the screen (after dropping it on a bus one day😭) and the ghosting issue disappeared completely.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

1. Lumia 920-- Battery was a waste
2. Lumia 1520- Camera was AWESOME, the only thing lacking was apps + Ghost touch issue ( size was little challenging sometimes)
3. Lumia 640XL - bang for buck. Storage should've been 16GB at least. Camera is good, lags sometimes (maybe because apps are stored in SD card instead of internal memory.

Lumia's should have 32GB memory + SD card by default. App gap is not a big issue now a days, options are available. Looks MS is not interested in investing in it anymore.

I think the upcoming anniversary edition of Win10 DESKTOP and the latest Redstone build of Windows 10 MOBILE are so strikingly similar, that maybe they just don't need as many staff now as the Win10 versions have truly converged on one code base, and therefore less staff are needed to maintain all the different versions that there were before. Though I think most of the layoffs announced today are in the hardware division...

Not only the underlying code is similar now, but if you look at the anniversary review of Windows 10 desktop on this very site, it looks very much the same as the mobile version too, eerily so, and much more than I was expecting, hence the reason I just signed up for DESKTOP insider builds so I can experience all the desktop goodness too :wink:

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Only had the 1520 and the 950XL as I don't think the HTC HD2 running 6.5 counts, but in our family (So phones I have worked with) we have had several more from the 7 series, 520, 830, 930 and I have to say the 950XL is just perfect for me, slightly more usable than the 1520 on size and just a great phone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just to let y'all know...

2 threads were merged. The older one asked some more pointed questions even though the intent was the same in both threads.

Which Windows Phone do you like the most?
Why for?
Did you miss anything on it? If yes, what and why?
Did you find anything frustrating on it (other than app gap)?

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

An ordinary 10USD phone that has basic functionality - no internet, no touch screen, no gps etc. The Nokia 100 I think

Maybe some of us should club together and raise some money to get you a 635 or similar...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05