What phone should I get?

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
My second 1520 is experiencing phantom taps (A problem with the 1520 Microsoft/Nokia has never even acknowledged). The first time i had this issue I was under warranty but this time I'm not. With that said it's a matter of time before the phantom taps get so bad that the phone will be useless. Between the phantom taps, music missing in Groove, pictures missing in photo app, random bugs and crashes I feel it's probably best I just leave W10M for good. I don't want to go back to iPhone (as they still have the same issues that made me leave in the first place) and I've never had an android phone before. I've looked on ebay and seen 1520's going pretty cheap and I've also seen the 950 and 950 XL fairly cheap as well. Holding out for a future Surface Phone could always be an option. What do you guys think would be the best phone to go to right now? I don't mind the app gap of W10M because I don't use a lot of apps. I use my phone very productively and I mostly need a phone that can run office mobile, and used to store and send (audio) files (I'm a music producer). I love a lot of things about W10M but I've been bothered enough with it recently to the point of jumping ship being an option. What do you guys think I should do? What are the best Android phones out there? What do you like about them over W10M? I've been told that Android also does live tiles as well. Is this true?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 950XL is the natural progression from the 1520. The later builds of Windows 10 Mobile are a lot more stable than earlier builds (fast ring just gets better and better).

I didn't get phantom taps with my 1520 (I just got used to how sensitive the scrolling was).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
To me, it sounds like the true question is if it is worth it to deal with another device with possible phantom taps or choose the device that doesn't have that issue.. Do you really like the 1520 that much to deal with that possibility again?

As for Android, it can be overwhelming coming from windows phone, but there are many nice choices. You don't have to go with a Samsung Galaxy unless you really want to. There's the ZTE Axon 7, OnePlus 3, Nexus 6P/5X, Moto G4 (and the + of it), Moto X Pure Edition and these are just the unlocked choices. Excluding the OnePlus, the other options work for all carriers.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
you mentioned that you weren't able to get groove to work - can you describe the issue?

I'll put songs on my SD card and Groove will not show some of them. I have roughly 9k songs and Groove will display about 6k of them. All songs are MP3 and all songs show up perfectly fine in the desktop version of Groove

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
To me, it sounds like the true question is if it is worth it to deal with another device with possible phantom taps or choose the device that doesn't have that issue.. Do you really like the 1520 that much to deal with that possibility again?

As for Android, it can be overwhelming coming from windows phone, but there are many nice choices. You don't have to go with a Samsung Galaxy unless you really want to. There's the ZTE Axon 7, OnePlus 3, Nexus 6P/5X, Moto G4 (and the + of it), Moto X Pure Edition and these are just the unlocked choices. Excluding the OnePlus, the other options work for all carriers.

Bassically you're right. When my phone is working good I have no real complaints but since it hasn't been good in some time I think that's why I'm starting to look at other options.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'll put songs on my SD card and Groove will not show some of them. I have roughly 9k songs and Groove will display about 6k of them. All songs are MP3 and all songs show up perfectly fine in the desktop version of Groove

perhaps an issue with the sd card? If you copy those songs that don't show up to internal memory, will they work? Trying to narrow down the issue

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
perhaps an issue with the sd card? If you copy those songs that don't show up to internal memory, will they work? Trying to narrow down the issue

I've done a bunch of testing and this is what I found. If I put the SD card in my surface book and Groove (desktop app) detects it and it works perfectly fine. I also had no issues with it when I used W8.1M. I put it in my phone and it doesn't detect all of the songs. The folder full of songs is an exact copy of the same folder I use for the desktop Groove app. It works fine there. It works fine in Itunes. Lots of people have complained and have the exact same problem. Groove just won't recognize our music. What's worse is some of the files that will be missing from the library are files I purchased through Groove (Safe to say I no longer purchase any media from Microsoft). Lastly I've figured that if I take an albums folder off of my SD card and put it on my phone's internal memory the album shows up but if I then move that albums folder back into the SD card, Groove will say it's missing. I've also discovered that if I I move an album folder out of the music folder and into the ROOT folder of the SD card then the album shows up. This time if I move it back to where it was in the music folder Groove remembers where it is. So for whatever reason the issue with Groove to me seems to be with its ability to actually search through nested folders. My music is very well organized by MUSIC>ARTIST>ALBUM. For some reason Groove will skip whole albums or just random songs in the album folder. This is as far as I know about it. I wish WC would write an article about the amount of users experiencing these big issues but that's a whole different conversation.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've done a bunch of testing and this is what I found. If I put the SD card in my surface book and Groove (desktop app) detects it and it works perfectly fine. I also had no issues with it when I used W8.1M. I put it in my phone and it doesn't detect all of the songs. The folder full of songs is an exact copy of the same folder I use for the desktop Groove app. It works fine there. It works fine in Itunes. Lots of people have complained and have the exact same problem. Groove just won't recognize our music. What's worse is some of the files that will be missing from the library are files I purchased through Groove (Safe to say I no longer purchase any media from Microsoft). Lastly I've figured that if I take an albums folder off of my SD card and put it on my phone's internal memory the album shows up but if I then move that albums folder back into the SD card, Groove will say it's missing. I've also discovered that if I I move an album folder out of the music folder and into the ROOT folder of the SD card then the album shows up. This time if I move it back to where it was in the music folder Groove remembers where it is. So for whatever reason the issue with Groove to me seems to be with its ability to actually search through nested folders. My music is very well organized by MUSIC>ARTIST>ALBUM. For some reason Groove will skip whole albums or just random songs in the album folder. This is as far as I know about it. I wish WC would write an article about the amount of users experiencing these big issues but that's a whole different conversation.

good work in the investigation - unfortunately, I can't think of a solution for that.
I guess it has to be a solution from the MS side

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Everyone's going to have a different answer to that question.

Your main issue seems to be with Groove not seeing your music. Have you tried using any other music player apps and seeing what they do. I've personally never been a fan of how Windows Phone handles off-line music, I just use my Walkman instead.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Everyone's going to have a different answer to that question.

Your main issue seems to be with Groove not seeing your music. Have you tried using any other music player apps and seeing what they do. I've personally never been a fan of how Windows Phone handles off-line music, I just use my Walkman instead.

strange thing is groove recognises all my music regardless of source

Roger Stenson

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
My main grouse, which makes groove almost useless to me is that I can not sort my music collection buy composer. It seems not to be a feature much needed by the followers of popular music. It is critical to the remaining lovers of classical music. I am fed up with searching my large collection of
music in Groove, randomly sorted by composer. I am looking for another app
Roger Stenson

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My main grouse, which makes groove almost useless to me is that I can not sort my music collection buy composer. It seems not to be a feature much needed by the followers of popular music. It is critical to the remaining lovers of classical music. I am fed up with searching my large collection of
Roger Stenson

what if changed the properties of the songs to say that composer and artist are the same? I get your point but I play by album or artist and for my case composer is usually synonymous with artist

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Roger Stenson
LOL, can the classical music lover find an app that sort music by composer and plays it?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What are some of the features you guys who use android phones like that you feel Window Phones are missing?
The difference between apps and features is quite large. To me, a largely missing "feature" would be USB-OTG. Right now, only the 950 series supports it whereas many Androids of lesser value do. Once the HP Elite and others of its ilk hit the market there will be more choices, but only in the high end. For a guy with so much music shuffling between devices, I would imagine this should be a top priority. It's much easier to transfer files via a jump drive than to swap SD cards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)