08-31-2016 03:16 AM
88 1234
tools
    Look at it like this windows xp tablet got no where (lumia as it is today before 920,1020) http://www.indiaonrent.com/forwards/...res/32pnwh.jpg
    Then this Surface tablet (reband, redesign Surface phone) http://www.tecnologiabit.com/wp-cont...ace-tablet.jpg
    08-08-2016 07:07 PM
    Just like all tissues are Kleenex.
    Guytronic, RumoredNow and N_LaRUE like this.
    08-08-2016 07:20 PM
    To some every phone is an iPhone.
    You're correct. I work with a guy who's very first smartphone was the Lumia 925 (I sold him on it) ... he still uses it and refers to it as an iPhone
    08-08-2016 07:31 PM
    Dont worry... Actually windows mobile have smaller number of apps compared to Android & Apple....

But nothing to worry Because NOKIA is coming with Android. Then we all can say good bye to Microsoft Windows mobile.
    i still believe that NOKIA is the BEST.....
    08-08-2016 08:00 PM
    As I told you on the other post, this is not a real Nokia phone. Foxconn bought the rights to make Nokia phones. Nokia does not make phones anymore. Nothing to get excited about.
    RumoredNow, Guytronic and rinosaur like this.
    08-08-2016 08:14 PM
    I am dumbfounded by the trolls that lurk on this site. Seriously, if the lack of an app can ruin ones existence, then this society it doomed. And if that's the case, I'll be taking pics of it to the bloody end with my Windows phone. This notion that being a 3rd option matters. What matters is Microsoft is in no way backing off the platform. The next entire update, RS2, is almost solely for the mobile platform. MS sees the future with a truly all in one device. Its sink or swim, but we aren't sinking any time soon. Computer sales are decreasing. Laptop sales are decreasing. IPad sales are decreasing. Yet the Surface line grows and grows... chew on that for a bit. There will soon be a midget counterpart to the Surface. Lets see what happens.
    08-08-2016 09:07 PM
    Well said. I think a surface phone along with OEMs making phones that are continuum ready will be the future of mobile. I truly believe Microsoft has a great game plan. I'm quite optimistic.
    rollindice likes this.
    08-08-2016 09:38 PM
    I'm curious where this notion that mobile will be the "focus" of the next Windows update came from, is there any official source for this? Seems to be stated quite often but I don't recall any official statement to that effect.

Sent from mTalk
    techiez and a5cent like this.
    08-08-2016 09:59 PM
    .the windows store has everything I need and more.
    Good for you then. For a starter, I cannot find Pokemon Go. Don't tell me that you are not playing that because the world doesn't evolve around you. Next are the local banking apps. For 3 long years, local banks in my country are still not making any windows phone apps. And these are only tip of the ice berg.

Some 3rs party apps are actually better than the official ones.
    3rd parties are at the mercy of the companies who released their official apps. API changes will result in 3rd party apps screwing up.... 3rd party apps are not the way to go for a platform to perform well.
    N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    08-08-2016 10:22 PM
    The Windows Insider program brought on much negativity to Windows 10 mobile due to the foul mouths of some Insiders not realizing what exactly is the Insiders program.
    Oh my such negativity.
    I admit I'm one of them.

...till August 16th its ok to be kinda broken still.
    After that lets hope for praise.
    I like Windows, rather not go back to Android.
    08-08-2016 10:55 PM
    Good for you then. For a starter, I cannot find Pokemon Go. Don't tell me that you are not playing that because the world doesn't evolve around you. Next are the local banking apps. For 3 long years, local banks in my country are still not making any windows phone apps. And these are only tip of the ice berg.

3rd parties are at the mercy of the companies who released their official apps. API changes will result in 3rd party apps screwing up.... 3rd party apps are not the way to go for a platform to perform well.

Not to forget that Amazon discontinued WP app, so cant access app only promotions
    08-08-2016 11:06 PM
    +1 to both of your points. Lol @ Amazon iPad.

One of my friends knows that she has an Android, but didn't know which one. I had to tell her what phone she has. lol.

My mom continues to call her Android tablet an iPad even though I keep telling her it's not. Her brother does the same thing ALL the time.
    "Oh yeah do you have my iPad? Can you get my iPad?"
    -sees no iPad, brings tablet looking thing- "Is this it?"
    "Yeah yeah that's my iPad"

Welp.
    My dad is like that too. He has a Galaxy Tab 4 10.1, and he keeps calling it an iPad. He has a Lumia 640, and he keeps calling it an iPhone. It's the same reason every time I use Samsung Pay, the cashier tells me, "Oh, sorry., Apple Pay won't work on this." That's some mindshare Apple's got there.
    08-08-2016 11:22 PM
    What it seems bother people in this ecosystem more than anything is the closed doors to things they find important. First it was spec. Now that we have spec, its things people want to do while everyone else is doing it. Instagram, Banking apps, Starbucks, Pokemon Go, Snapchat etc. Over time, some of the missing apps people wanted are now in the store, but as been our history, we get it late and many that wanted these apps, have abandoned the platform. If people can't hit up the store and download these social apps, they will go to where that happens. Bottom line, its not that people hate the platform for the hell of it, people don't like change especially when its forced on em.
    08-08-2016 11:51 PM
    What it seems bother people in this ecosystem more than anything is the closed doors to things they find important. First it was spec. Now that we have spec, its things people want to do while everyone else is doing it. Instagram, Banking apps, Starbucks, Pokemon Go, Snapchat etc. Over time, some of the missing apps people wanted are now in the store, but as been our history, we get it late and many that wanted these apps, have abandoned the platform. If people can't hit up the store and download these social apps, they will go to where that happens. Bottom line, its not that people hate the platform for the hell of it, people don't like change especially when its forced on em.
    Yes, we are always on a lower side compare to others , we get late update less features every time new app came into market we have to wait for long time to get it ,we a seen instagram app for windows 8.1 stays in beta for one years without any update the problem is they don't take us seriously.
    08-09-2016 01:44 AM
    As I told you on the other post, this is not a real Nokia phone. Foxconn bought the rights to make Nokia phones. Nokia does not make phones anymore. Nothing to get excited about.
    You got that a bit wrong.

Nokia is licencing their name and patents to HMD, which is made up of ex Nokia executives. HMD, Nokia and FIH will be partners in making the phones with the Nokia name.

Details are here in case you missed it - The Nokia brand is coming back... on Android | Windows Central
    08-09-2016 02:17 AM
    As for the OP.

It's very easy to get frustrated with MS and with WM/WP. As became clear earlier this year MS's focus is not mobile. That of course doesn't help enthusiasts of the platform and just makes doom and gloom more prevalent to those who want to dislike MS and WM.

What a person has to decide for themselves is if WM works for them. Ignoring UWP and Continuum, as I think they're still not proven 'game changers' and because they're not relevant to most consumers, as indicated by a5cent.

Only you should care if the platform works for you or not. It's your choice. There's no one forcing you to stick with it and you can change if that is what you want to do. That's what having choice is about.

We can't change what the media prints and arguing about it does nothing. Just be happy with what you've decided to use.

Whether you agree with the way MS is handling things is another issue entirely but they have their plan and are sticking to it. I personally believe they should have went the enterprise route at the beginning and they may have got more traction and be in a better position but that's not where we are now.

As for the app issue. The main one, which has been pointed out is that people like the name brand apps, for good reason as third party apps can stop working at any time. No platform can survive with 3rd party apps alone.

Not sure what MS can do but let's see what happens. If anything, it will be interesting.

You can't stop the haters, it's a typical thing of the internet unfortunately, brings out the worst in some people.

It's up to MS to change it's image, you shouldn't have to defend them. They're a big corporation. You're a paying customer. It's always best to look at it that way.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 08-09-2016 at 02:54 AM.
    08-09-2016 02:37 AM
    No one is forcing us to to stay on platform but i had spend my money on them and i can complain . I am not a Microsoft hater, i am telling what i am seeing as a user in microsoft community i can share my point to make it better I don't want switch again and again just because of small problem i just want Microsoft to resolve them and make it better .
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-09-2016 03:24 AM
    No one is forcing us to to stay on platform but i had spend my money on them and i can complain . I am not a Microsoft hater, i am telling what i am seeing as a user in microsoft community i can share my point to make it better I don't want switch again and again just because of small problem i just want Microsoft to resolve them and make it better .
    I wasn't saying you were a hater. I understand you spent money, so does everyone else.

If it's an apps issue, MS has very little control. It is up to them to lure developers but obviously nothing they are doing is really working.

They can't control the media or the internet either.

Which is why I said, MS needs to do something themselves about their image. You as an individual shouldn't have to as you're the customer.

If you have issues with the OS, it will likely get resolved at some point.
    08-09-2016 03:29 AM
    I wasn't saying you were a hater. I understand you spent money, so does everyone else.

If it's an apps issue, MS has very little control. It is up to them to lure developers but obviously nothing they are doing is really working.

They can't control the media or the internet either.

Which is why I said, MS needs to do something themselves about their image. You as an individual shouldn't have to as you're the customer.

If you have issues with the OS, it will likely get resolved at some point.
    Totally agree with you .
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    08-09-2016 03:33 AM
  20. Martin Oscar Caballero Sartor's Avatar
    For end users there is exactly zero benefit to "the merging of desktop and mobile". Because developers can create a single app which runs on multiple form factors with less effort (compared to competing systems), that is of benefit to them, but consumers couldn't care less about that sort of thing.

Until desktop apps take off, and some of them start trickling down to W10M, the "merging of desktop and mobile" is pretty much irrelevant to consumers.
    I think you are right about what users care about, but ultimately you're getting it wrong. Let me explain.

Sure, users couldn't care less about convergence of mobile and desktop or whether an app is universal or not. But UWP means that developers can create an app for a popular system (Windows desktop) and make it available on mobile is just one step away. In other words, the popularity of the desktop version of Windows is what will bring apps to the mobile platform. And that's what users really care about: app availability. So ideally the UWP model will close the app gap if developers care about Windows 10 desktop to develop their apps for it, and make it universal as an extra.
    08-09-2016 08:16 AM
    I think you are right about what users care about, but ultimately you're getting it wrong. Let me explain.

Sure, users couldn't care less about convergence of mobile and desktop or whether an app is universal or not. But UWP means that developers can create an app for a popular system (Windows desktop) and make it available on mobile is just one step away. In other words, the popularity of the desktop version of Windows is what will bring apps to the mobile platform. And that's what users really care about: app availability. So ideally the UWP model will close the app gap if developers care about Windows 10 desktop to develop their apps for it, and make it universal as an extra.
    Show me usage data on Windows Desktop apps and you may have a real point of view. I've used Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. I don't bother with Windows Desktop apps. I'm sure there's many people like me. Let's not forget those who refuse to upgrade from Windows 7. Why should I use a Windows Desktop app?

I know that's my personal perspective but you're trying to use an idea, UWP, as a means of gaining traction. So far that hasn't happened. Most people will more likely fire up the web browser than use an app on a PC. Unless that app has something that the browser doesn't, which I haven't run into yet personally.
    08-09-2016 09:14 AM
  22. Martin Oscar Caballero Sartor's Avatar
    I know. I don't use desktop apps either. But if apps and desktop clients are being developed it means other people find them useful. Personally, I couldn't care less. Been using the web page for every online service I need or want (Facebook, for example) and using an app on desktop makes no sense to me. But then again, they surely exist for a reason.
    08-09-2016 09:29 AM
    I know. I don't use desktop apps either. But if apps and desktop clients are being developed it means other people find them useful. Personally, I couldn't care less. Been using the web page for every online service I need or want (Facebook, for example) and using an app on desktop makes no sense to me. But then again, they surely exist for a reason.
    I understand the arguments for UWP but what I find weird is that some people argue that they don't need apps on WM10 either. We should be moving away from apps and the app centric thinking into web apps.

Which confuses me all the more. So what's the point of UWP????

Since we'll probably never know, MS doesn't like to give numbers out, we can only assume there are people who use apps on desktop and there may be a good percentage but it is enough to entice developers? I don't know. That's the problem, we're all left in the dark about these things.

Being honest, if there was a UWP app for Instagram I'd be on it in a flash.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-09-2016 10:04 AM
    I do think that sometimes the articles on this site unwillingly contribute fuel to the burning hate of Windows Phone and Microsoft...
    Not the articles, the comments. Nurseries have less crying.
    08-09-2016 10:13 AM
    I think you are right about what users care about, but ultimately you're getting it wrong. Let me explain... <snipped>

Nope. I got it exactly right. ☺ Read my post again. You're just using more words to make the exact same point I had already made.
    08-09-2016 11:05 AM
88 1234