640 and 950 are actually only slightly different in size!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So I caved to get a 950 recently, and since I already have a 640, I was curious to know how different in size the two phones are. Not really a big phone person, but I was shocked to see that they are only slightly different in size. For anyone else who is curious, check out the pictures below. Sorry for the low light pictures, just really wanted to share.

With the screens on:
20160811_012847637_iOS.jpg

20160811_013155499_iOS.jpg
20160811_013228840_iOS.jpg
20160811_013341327_iOS.jpg

Bird's eye view attempt of the 640 on top of the 950:
20160811_013536513_iOS.jpg

Thoughts? :winktongue:

Last edited:

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: 640 and 950 are actually slightly different in size!

Im glad you got a 950 too. At 298 I couldn't resist either...

My 640 was a go to device. I'm hoping that the 950 will live up to it with battery life. I got a Mozo white leather for 32 from MobileFun.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Im glad you got a 950 too. At 298 I couldn't resist either...

My 640 was a go to device. I'm hoping that the 950 will live up to it with battery life. I got a Mozo white leather for 32 from MobileFun.
Nicee! I want to see if I can deal with the two apps that I'm missing that don't have any good options on here first. How are you liking yours? I think it's pretty cool, really pleased that it isn't as huge as I thought it would be.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

YOUACTUALLYDIDITZOMG!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

That was so fast Libra I didnt even realise you'd actually made it. Way to be sneaky and make it past everyone! :D And holy Bath and Body Works, or was it Bellini - :p - that is so cool. They are practically the same size sans a few millimeters in the x and y directions. Wait. Let me look the dimensions up, for extra reference. Okay. So here goes.

Lumia 640: 141.3 x 72.2 x 8.8 mm 145g
Lumia 950: 145.0 x 73.2 x 8.2 mm 150g

So thats five grams of extra weight for several times the device, and 3.7 extra mm in the Y direction, a millimeter in the X direction, and -0.6 mm in the Z direction/depth when compared to the Lumia 640. Basically, they're practically the same chassis dimensions for an extra .2 inches of diagonal display. And well, we all know how much extra phone it is. I think we can safely say that if it works out, you can retire that 640 Libra. :) After you get those wonderfully cheap colored OEM cases off of AliExpress. Or those fancy, sass cognac leather or wood cases off of the Mozo folks.

And may I inquire what two apps you're missing on the platform? I know there's the IG stories you miss. What else? :) ^_^

-- W

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

Okay, since I'm kind of geeking out here. I'll add/throw in a couple of more figures in there. That is 67.6% to 70.5% of screen size to body ratio from the Lumia 640 to the 950. Now here's the interesting thing. The current crop of smartphones/flagships on the market right now vary from a ratio of 72% for good to 78% for the most amibitious. So if there were to be a hypothetical refresh for the 950. They could possibly even fit in a 5.5" panel in there if they were to really have a go at it and give it a try.

Now heres the interesting part of the story. The 950 XL, which sits near the more ambitious screen to body ratios, is actually not much bigger than the 640 in terms of handle-ability and in hand use. Its only a centimeter or 10mm taller, and half a centimeter or 5mm wider. And almost a full mm shallower in depth. For a 74% screen to body ratio. And a 5.7 inch screen display! :D ^_^

-- W

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

YOUACTUALLYDIDITZOMG!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

That was so fast Libra I didnt even realise you'd actually made it. Way to be sneaky and make it past everyone! :D And holy Bath and Body Works, or was it Bellini - :p - that is so cool. They are practically the same size sans a few millimeters in the x and y directions. Wait. Let me look the dimensions up, for extra reference. Okay. So here goes.

Lumia 640: 141.3 x 72.2 x 8.8 mm 145g
Lumia 950: 145.0 x 73.2 x 8.2 mm 150g

So thats five grams of extra weight for several times the device, and 3.7 extra mm in the Y direction, a millimeter in the X direction, and -0.6 mm in the Z direction/depth when compared to the Lumia 640. Basically, they're practically the same chassis dimensions for an extra .2 inches of diagonal display. And well, we all know how much extra phone it is. I think we can safely say that if it works out, you can retire that 640 Libra. :) After you get those wonderfully cheap colored OEM cases off of AliExpress. Or those fancy, sass cognac leather or wood cases off of the Mozo folks.

And may I inquire what two apps you're missing on the platform? I know there's the IG stories you miss. What else? :) ^_^

-- W

Haha. Yep, that is Bath and Body Works, love my B&BW! Also the 640 kept moving off the 950's screen so I had to do something. lol.

Hmm seeing the dimensions you shared, that makes a lot of sense. That's pretty cool. Yeah, that is what I will do most likely, hopefully this works out. I like the look of the wood and the leather, but the leather is too fancy for me. I would love green though.

The two apps I'm missing is Plurk (not sure if you heard of it, but it's like Twitter + LiveJournal combined, if you are familiar with it) and Overdrive. The Plurk alternatives suck! Not only do they do not work right, they suck. Using Edge for it, but I'm missing the push notifications. OverDrive is here, but it's outdated. It works though, but thankfully I can read my ebooks using Edge. I have to use the outdated app to check out and return books though.

My other apps, there are 3rd party options that work great or well.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

Well, we have Body Shop here, no B&BW. Oh GOD. I just wrote BBW instead. -__- Thank goodness I proof read. Talk about socially inept. And inappropriate. Anyways, moving on. I used to do a lot of Body Shop-ing, once upon a time, everytime I wanted to treat my sister to some feel good when she was down. ^~^ Didnt go down very well with my pocket, but whats some money in the way of your sister's happiness. :) So I think I can understand how much you love your B&BW too Libra. ^_^ I'm guessing thats your horoscope or something. Sister shares the same, surprisingly. Weird, that.

And this better work out. I'm kind of pretty much borderline invested in your 950 now. :p Kidding, its your phone silly. :) Buuuutttt..... I'm not sure if I should be pushing you down this direction or not. But there's the best of both worlds to be had if you just look in the right places. There are ehm... OEM color back housings to be bought. Specifically in your favorite shade of green. Absolutely adorable bubblegum color cases. Also in greens, and blues and yellows. And some very good looking faux leather cases. Cognac and all. From Imak. And easily available too. All for a fraction of the cost of one Mozo. Not such a bad deal from where I'm sitting. But I'm not sure I want to be the one pushing you down that road. I'm kind of a hoarder, so once I see one thing, I want the next, and then the next. Gotta catch em all. Stuff like that. So yeah....

But I would still gladly link you to them if you still want though! :D :D :D

And I had to look them both up. Sadly. OverDrive because I'm kind of guilty of not reading things the right way. So I have a very large offline library/collection stored up and stashed away already. I'm not going to elaborate on that anymore now, okay. :mad: But overdrive looks pretty darn neat to me. Its sad that you cant read off of the native app though, because Edge is kind of supposed to be a battery sucker on mobile. So its going to pretty skewer your battery life perception of the device. Atleast thats what I think anyways. The other idea I'd give would be to read in reading mode, obviously. And in your settings change the settings for the reading mode down to dark. Viola! Battery saved! :O :D ^_^ :D :D ^~^

I'm not sure if I aught to be saying this though. But Plurk frankly looks adorable kyut! Like, I didnt know you were into all that alt. stuff. And anime and all, whatnot. Its pretty cute. I like how you unassumingly just said Twitter+LiveJournal with such a straight face. And yes. You're right. The alternatives absolutely suck! :mad:

But I guess that iPhone has to earn its keep too somehow. Right? :3 ^_^ Gotta have to keep it around for something, cant be doing everything on one platform all the time, right. :)

Edit: Crap, Ive started to write essays. I need to go back to staying out, instead of in. Instead. :/

-- W

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Ooh I have heard a lot of about the Body Shop. Never been. Lol @ the almost typo. Aww you're such a nice brother! That's so sweet. Yeah, it is. I'm SO creative, didn't think that I would be into Windows Central (mobile nations, in general really) so much so I just chose a random name to join the forums. My horoscope and my birth year >.< That is pretty cool that your sister is a Libra too.

I hope not to disappoint, but as I said, we will see xd Ooh I never heard of the Imak before, this is all news to me. I'm going to start with giving this a week. If successful, another week. If you can, please link. Hopefully, I'm not taking away too much time away from you to link. I feel like I really made you lose time the other day with how much you helped me, but super appreciated.

Nah, it's okay. I should have explained them better. Ooh that's cool that you have that. I'm not really one to keep books unless I must so I really like that I can check them out from my local library virtually and return. I can read on the app, but for context, it was built for Windows Phone 8...so if I hit the back button while I'm in the app, I can accidentally go back in my book. Also crashing sucks, and it doesn't sync my last read place like it does on iOS and Android. Good to know, I'll check out the reading mode thing.

Plurk is pretty cool, it's more nice when you have friends added. You make one plurk, and you can continue replying in it. People can reply to you and have your message in one place. You can also send private ones to certain people only. It's just a nice social app. I watched anime, and it's cool but I don't keep up haha. Are you into anime? Anyone can make an account there. Lol, it is like that though. Twitter makes separate tweets so commenting on a story is awkward.

Lool. I don't mind the "essays", it's all good. I try not to make stuff long but it ends up being that way anyway.

Edit: I searched for the Imak and it is really interesting. Thanks for sharing. Will search eBay for the colorful backs though.

Last edited:

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

Sorry took me forever, but here you go Libra. ^~^ These were all what I was talking about. I'm putting in links for both EBay and AliExpress so you have an idea about the sort of stuff I was talking about. :)

Imak
Ebay: IMAK Slim PU Leather Back Protective Skin Cover Case for Microsoft Lumia 950 | eBay
AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...rid-Back-Cover-for-Microsoft/32597586825.html

Cases:
Ebay: Matte Cases Rubberized Hard Plastic Case Cover for Microsoft Lumia 950 950 XL | eBay
AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/for...urface-Matte-Hard-Case-Black/32495619967.html

Covers:
Ebay: Replacement Back Cover Housing Battery Back Door for Microsoft Lumia 950 | eBay
AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For...ar-Battery-Door-Housing-With/32702194544.html

And now that the business end of the conversation is out of the way. :p

And its okay, you're not really taking any time away from me. So dont worry. ^~^ This, especially considering I've been avoiding work, and plenty of other things these past few weeks. Atleast I have something to do with my time now. For a bit. :) And I actually really enjoyed that the other day. Been a while since I've gotten to stretch my legs like that, and do it - remote tech support I mean. :p But look on the bright side, if you last these few couple of weeks, you'll get to experience the RTM RS update on your phone! :O Might make you decide that you need to sit and see for another couple of weeks more then. :p

But yeah, I'm a hoarder. Thus the big huge library. So I have everything, literally, ever. That has gone over growing up. From kiddie books to my first 286 to 8" DOS floppies. 80's AC current calculators and nib holders from the '40s. But I digress. Dont I always. -__- I get what you mean by crashing and buggy apps. I narrate small passages sometimes. And thanks to Windows Recorder, on our WM10 phones. Ive read through countless passages. For minutes on end. Only for the app to crash at the end and corrupt my entire recording. As I tell it to stop. So I can empathise. >_<

Plurk sounds pretty cool! ^_^ And everything is nicer with friends. Isnt it? :) So from what I'm gathering its basically like all your conversations become threaded, and keep continuing like that. Until someone starts a new conversation from scratch. A conversation being a plurk here ofcourse. And yeah. I get what you mean by twitter. My twitter is mostly just the occasional tweet. In a blue moon, and thats about it. Once upon a time, it was part of my work sphere, so it was a necessity then. But that is long gone now.

I watch/watched anime. On occasion. And because I fancy myself a person of taste (Its all lies anyways, I tell you, no taste whatsoever.) I like to believe I've watched all the serious/good anime worth watching. And the one's I havent is by discernment, and choice. Kinds of similar with the film media too. Like I said. Its all a lie in my head though. And I suck at keeping up with people. Actually. Less things. More people.

Try BodyShop if you ever get the chance. They're stuff is really really good. And not the commercial, chemical compound filled stuff. Much more natural. :) Super nice too. Not sure how much that counted towards being a nice brother though, she's still got enough things on me to be mad at me for a lifetime. But hey, we all have our creative moments. I still have my email address and my username handle that I came up with what 13-14 odd years ago. Not embarrassed one bit about giving it out to people in really professional situations with a straight face. Trust me, it never goes down well. :p

But yeah, you're a dead give away about that stuff. Libra. And '89. Those were like. The first things I figured about you soon as I saw your handle. And I was like. Naaah. Not my sister. Whew. Breathe in peace.

Okay okay. Essay done. Final. I'm out. :p

-- W

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It's alright! Thank you for the links! You're awesome!

That is good to know. We'll see. :eek: That's cool that you enjoyed it.

Omg floppies. My childhood! lol. Ooh that sounds cool that you narrate passages :eek: Ahh that sounds so annoying. Yep, that's exactly what Plurk is. The occasional tweet sounds similar to how I use it xd

Noted about the anime. I will try BodyShop when I'm in a place with one. That's true but I kind of suck with usernames in general. LOL @ your reaction about me not being your sister. I guess the cat was never in the bag for that one, lol.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

I see what you did there girl. Very funny. :p

And I literally had to telly your answers up with my own paragraphs to make sense of what you were replying back to. So much brevity in one post Libra! :O

I knew people who were using floppy disks well into the early/mid 2000s though. So I'm not surprised about that childhood bit. :) And also. Never. I repeat never ever. Put a kitty in a bag again woman. Its fatal. And its dangerous for them. They could literally die in there. *sniff* :'(

-- W

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I see what you did there girl. Very funny. :p

And I literally had to telly your answers up with my own paragraphs to make sense of what you were replying back to. So much brevity in one post Libra! :O

I knew people who were using floppy disks well into the early/mid 2000s though. So I'm not surprised about that childhood bit. :) And also. Never. I repeat never ever. Put a kitty in a bag again woman. Its fatal. And its dangerous for them. They could literally die in there. *sniff* :'(

-- W

:p not as funny as you lol. Sorry!

Can't remember the last time I used one really. I wouldn't do that to a kitty. xD I was just saying.

How is the 950 running for you?
So far, it's been good. Trying to see if I can get more out of this battery life, though. It isn't horrible, I just have high expectations.

Sent from mTalk

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

Women are so unpredictable and unreadable. They're just like the pyramids like that. You just cant tell. So I wouldnt hazard not saying it. Just to be sure Libra.

And TechFreak, I cant believe you read through all that fluff to like all the posts man. O_O Much appreciated. :3 ^~^

-- W

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I have no comment on the first part of your statement. xd If you say so though.

Haha yeah props to you TechFreak!

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

Oh God! Noooo!!!! Not the no comment treatment! Oh please noes! X'( *sniffs crying quietly in a corner now*

And yes, props indeed to you TechFreak! You good mate! ^_^ :)

-- W

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Nicee! I want to see if I can deal with the two apps that I'm missing that don't have any good options on here first. How are you liking yours? I think it's pretty cool, really pleased that it isn't as huge as I thought it would be.

My first impressions were negative, not with the phone but just the process of getting it up to date. It came with 10586.0. On my 830 I was happily running 14393., I could not get it to OTA to anything. I tried using the WDRT thinking for some reason I would get a recent version of 15586 like 494 or something. It took forever to download and the tool kept crashing as it downloaded the 3Gb package. When it finally downloaded I was on 10586.29! I was like WTF. I did manage to OTA to 494 from there and then I tried a restore from my 830 and it was buggy as all hell. I gave up, I did a reset back .29 OTA'd to current, wiped. Went to 14393. Wiped. Then restored my 830 backup like a champ, although it took a min to download all 53.4GB of apps and games back to the device. At that point I was on 14393.5 and everything was good except horrible battery life. I am now running 14393.67 like a champ and battery life has calmed down alot. Today I after 12 hours I was down to 70%.

A side note I was also pissed at myself for putting the glass I bought on crooked, but I peeled it up and fixed it, but now there is a small hair on it. My white leather Mozo should be here tomorrow.

All in all, last weekend was frustrating, but this week has been great, this thing took some great photos. I really wish I had the new FW to get tap2wake but oh well..

Stay tuned for more complaining..

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My first impressions were negative, not with the phone but just the process of getting it up to date. It came with 10586.0. On my 830 I was happily running 14393., I could not get it to OTA to anything. I tried using the WDRT thinking for some reason I would get a recent version of 15586 like 494 or something. It took forever to download and the tool kept crashing as it downloaded the 3Gb package. When it finally downloaded I was on 10586.29! I was like WTF. I did manage to OTA to 494 from there and then I tried a restore from my 830 and it was buggy as all hell. I gave up, I did a reset back .29 OTA'd to current, wiped. Went to 14393. Wiped. Then restored my 830 backup like a champ, although it took a min to download all 53.4GB of apps and games back to the device. At that point I was on 14393.5 and everything was good except horrible battery life. I am now running 14393.67 like a champ and battery life has calmed down alot. Today I after 12 hours I was down to 70%.

A side note I was also pissed at myself for putting the glass I bought on crooked, but I peeled it up and fixed it, but now there is a small hair on it. My white leather Mozo should be here tomorrow.

All in all, last weekend was frustrating, but this week has been great, this thing took some great photos. I really wish I had the new FW to get tap2wake but oh well..

Stay tuned for more complaining..
Haha @ stay tuned for more complaining.

Wow, you were super far back. I was only one update back when I got mine.That battery life sounds great though, maybe the hassle was worth it! Let me know how you like that Mozo because the colorful backs seem really interesting to me. Ahh the hair thing happens to me all the time, so I understand you on that. The camera is really cool! I wish I had some subjects or scenery to really put it to use lol. Hopefully that update will come soon.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Haha @ stay tuned for more complaining.

Wow, you were super far back. I was only one update back when I got mine.That battery life sounds great though, maybe the hassle was worth it! Let me know how you like that Mozo because the colorful backs seem really interesting to me. Ahh the hair thing happens to me all the time, so I understand you on that. The camera is really cool! I wish I had some subjects or scenery to really put it to use lol. Hopefully that update will come soon.

What was really fun was when I went to the AT&T Store, I walked in and said I want a Lumia 950, and the guy said "You like Microsoft Phones?" I was like yeah I have a few... He was polite and said that most people people buy a 640XL and return it, he admitted not knowing anything else about them. Figures...

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720