New to Windows Phone, need some guidance please.

roxylyn

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi All. I am in the USA and thinking of trying a Windows phone. I know nothing about them but I have been using windows on the PC since 1995 and using windows 10 which I would prefer on this phone either stock or upgrade. I am 70 years young so I do not want a "small, lackluster screen". I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. I will be getting a used phone, unlocked or ATT. I do not care about the quality or usability of the camera. Seamless Bluetooth connectivity to my vehicle is a must. (Mercedes GL450 if it matters) I am using an app called Bluetooth File Transfer now which works great but that is likely not available for windows. My vehicle has GPS Navigation so the phone does not need anything special for that. I send a few text messages, surf the web, and make a few phone calls. From a PHONE standpoint I want quality sound on both ends of the conversation and connection reliability.
I have been reading on this site but only getting confused because I am not familiar with the models or age of the phones. I don't want and "old" phone but I do not need the newest and best. I want the best that meets my needs. I will anxiously await your feedback.
Thank You in advance for your guidance.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
For your usage case, I would suggest locating an ATT Lumia 640. It has a 5" screen but it's good and the sound for calls is also good as well. ATT has released Windows 10 Mobile for that phone via the Upgrade Advisor app.

I have no idea for the Bluetooth File Transfer app though. However, you can find great prices for the 640. Usually $50 and under, especially if you are buying it used.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
If you want a bigger screen you might as well consider 640 XL. Otherwise, if you're not looking for the most powerful phone running Windows 10 Mobile my vote goes for the 640, but if you want flagship then I would consider 950 too if you can really get it as cheap as stated above.

roxylyn

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all. More reading, learning, I think I might have narrowed it down to the 830. I use Consumer Cellular, bring your own phone. I like that you have access to the battery, seems to have soled reviews, and is reasonably priced. If I am wrong, please let me know. Does anybody connect to their vehicle with the Bluetooth? How does it work for you? Contacts are loaded? I answer and end calls with the steering wheel controls. You?
Software: Do you know of any "privet" web browser apps for windows. Is the phone software similar to the desktop in that you have some control over what you can delete or turn off?

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a L830 and I connect my Bluetooth to my cars. It uses Cortana (virtual assistant) to answer calls and reply to text messages. Connect your phone and pair it with your device. Once It's connected it will tell you to download your contacts on to the car. From there you can text, reply, call, answer, people from your contact list.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a 2015 MB Sprinter van and a Lumina Nokia Icon running W10M. The Bluetooth functionality with the Sprinter is great! The only problem is W10M has a bug when I ask Cortana to read a text, sometimes it doesn't work, it used to be flawless with 8.1. Also, voice recognition with Cortana is finally working well enough to use effectively. How do you like your 450? is it BlueTec?

roxylyn

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks SteveNoza. We love the GL450. I purchased a new 830, turned on the Bluetooth, in settings>Devices>Bluetooth>Advanced, check "Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for speech, than settings>Devices>NFC, Tap to share>ON, under that is a drop down box, I sellected "Anytime".
The vehicle found my phone, entered the code and all is good. I am happy. So far I am happy with the Windows phone also. Part of the reason I went with Windows was to get away from Google on my Android Phone. I updated the phone to Win 10 before I did anything else with it.
Thanks

Raygreen3

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
You can get the Microsoft 640 for $40 or less that works on AT&T. Its a great phone for the price. You can run the latest version of Windows 10. It should work with your car's Bluetooth too. I have a Galaxy S5 that just updated today to Android 6 Marshmallow. I thought this phone was the best phone ever when I first got it. Then last year on a whim I bought a Lumia 520 for $30 and really was amazed how much I liked it. I used it more than my Galaxy phone. Then 5 months later I got the 640 for $40 and it was even better. Now I upgraded to Windows 10 and am really pleasantly surprised that they have really added features that were already on iPhone and Android, things like much better camera, video controls, you can use the flashlight from the lock screen. Windows phone is so much easier to use in the car over the Android phone. I will have to test to see if Android 6 has any improvements in that department.

Last edited:

roxylyn

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi Raygreen3, nice to meet you! Maybe you misunderstood the posting above your posting but I purchased a new 830 and all is working just fine.
Thank You

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs