Is Windows Phone Committing Suicide?

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I can confirm that they can. A while back I signed up for facebook for the sole purpose of getting free in-game money for a Nexon game (and I'll avoid any rants for now about how horrifyingly bad Nexon is as a company). I gave it nothing but my name. I used it all of once or twice, and never actually bothered going to anybody else's page.

Within a month it was recommending that I friend actual friends, college classmates, and family members, and none of them even knew I had a facebook.

To this day that is still the creepiest interaction I have ever had with technology.

Perfect example. Facebook uses advanced tracking techniques to create a profile on all its users and to gather as much personal information that they can about it's users. This is done for one purpose only, to make tons of money. I hope people don't believe Zukerberg became a billionaire by providing a place to play games and meet long lost friends. He became that rich by data mining (some might call it stealing), selling personal information, and blasting it's users with advertisments. Many years ago I tried facebook for about a month and I thought it was the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life. I think all social media is nonsense. I only participate in a few forums, like this one, where one can actually learn something and/or help others. #saynotosocialmedia lol

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Perfect example. Facebook uses advanced tracking techniques to create a profile on all its users and to gather as much personal information that they can about it's users. This is done for one purpose only, to make tons of money. I hope people don't believe Zukerberg became a billionaire by providing a place to play games and meet long lost friends. He became that rich by data mining (some might call it stealing), selling personal information, and blasting it's users with advertisments. Many years ago I tried facebook for about a month and I thought it was the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life. I think all social media is nonsense. I only participate in a few forums, like this one, where one can actually learn something and/or help others. #saynotosocialmedia lol

but take a case like mine - I never click on ads, never follow up on ads - so if there were a lot of people like me, are advertisers really making money?

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
but take a case like mine - I never click on ads, never follow up on ads - so if there were a lot of people like me, are advertisers really making money?

On a big site like facebook with tons of traffic and users I don't think it's about click thru's on ads to generate money. I'm no expert on internet advertising, but I believe the model is more like TV commercials for large websites, where just displaying the ad (commercial) generates money for the site that allows the ad to be displayed. Just like a TV Network gets paid for showing a commercial, many sites get paid just for showing the ad whether you click on the ad or not. The advertiser is paying for exposure and sites like facebook give them plenty of exposure. Just like facebook, Google's #1 revenue stream is still displaying ads even though they have branched out in other areas, because google, you tube, etc get tons of traffic and those ads get lots of exposure. The advertiser is just looking for exposure knowing that ads aren't profit makers, they are just a cost of doing business. But even if a small percentage of people check out there product from an internet ad or TV commercial then the ad has done it's job. I'm guessing "click-thru and get paid" models still exist too, but the big boys probably don't use those models. It's probably more like the advertiser contacts sites like facebook and FB says pay us this much and we'll display your ad this many times during this time frame.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
On a big site like facebook with tons of traffic and users I don't think it's about click thru's on ads to generate money. I'm no expert on internet advertising, but I believe the model is more like TV commercials for large websites, where just displaying the ad (commercial) generates money for the site that allows the ad to be displayed. Just like a TV Network gets paid for showing a commercial, many sites get paid just for showing the ad whether you click on the ad or not. The advertiser is paying for exposure and sites like facebook give them plenty of exposure. Just like facebook, Google's #1 revenue stream is still displaying ads even though they have branched out in other areas, because google, you tube, etc get tons of traffic and those ads get lots of exposure. The advertiser is just looking for exposure knowing that ads aren't profit makers, they are just a cost of doing business. But even if a small percentage of people check out there product from an internet ad or TV commercial then the ad has done it's job. I'm guessing "click-thru and get paid" models still exist too, but the big boys probably don't use those models. It's probably more like the advertiser contacts sites like facebook and FB says pay us this much and we'll display your ad this many times during this time frame.

that makes a lot of sense and you're the first person to come up with an effective answer - when I had asked this question before, people were stumped - even guys working with Google :winktongue:

mehtanilay10

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Android/IPhone are more popular because of they are largely supported by developers and organizations.
I don't know 😞 why people still not supporting this OS!
If app gap is removed then W10M will became popular ever. Many developer/organization still supports Blackberry and not supporting W10M.

Carrier issues aside, I can see where roberts1069 is coming from. Sticking with Microsoft Mobile is getting harder.

I've been along for the ride since the very earliest days of the Windows Phone 7 launch back in 2009. In that time I've only used Windows Phone and have invested heavily in the platform.

I'm a die hard fan, but I'm nearing the end.

The platform just isn't going anywhere. Developers aren't supporting it. Major tech firms aren't supporting it. Every other day we lose apps. Every other day a new app or feature hits the world at large and we're not invited to the party.

I don't blame Microsoft for this. It's just the way things are.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Advertisers know that a certain percentage of viewers will become customers. Even if you do not click on the ad, you are still important in a way. :eek:rly: Plus, just because you do not click on it doesn't mean that you will not be affected.

Awhile ago my wife saw an ad online for a certain Subway sub. Sometime later, we were going out to eat, and she told me she wants to go to Subway to try that sub. Now, she never clicked on the ad online. Subway had no clue, and still doesn't know for sure, that she saw the ad. She may have been driving past Subway and said, "Hey, I'm hungry and it is dinnertime. I'm going to run into Subway and see what they have."

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Android/IPhone are more popular because of they are largely supported by developers and organizations.
I don't know 😞 why people still not supporting this OS!
If app gap is removed then W10M will became popular ever. Many developer/organization still supports Blackberry and not supporting W10M.

For me (and many others I'm sure) it's the uncertainty as a whole which includes the "app gap" but that's only "one" part of the puzzle.

How about W10Ms not so stellar stability track record or features still lacking, its inconsistencies running on varying devices or same for that matter. Throw in poor device availability globally (limited resources) or the uncertainty whether anything new will come down the pipeline. Those alone won't help garner much interest.

In the end I see a lot that has tainted the platforms appeal and like anything, will take a long time to overcome. There's still too much happening, or not, that's leaving WM from getting noticed/consideration.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
For me (and many others I'm sure) it's the uncertainty as a whole which includes the "app gap" but that's only "one" part of the puzzle.

How about W10Ms not so stellar stability track record or features still lacking, its inconsistencies running on varying devices or same for that matter. Throw in poor device availability globally (limited resources) or the uncertainty whether anything new will come down the pipeline. Those alone won't help garner much interest.

In the end I see a lot that has tainted the platforms appeal and like anything, will take a long time to overcome. There's still too much happening, or not, that's leaving WM from getting noticed/consideration.

This is my opinion as well. I can easily rationalize compromising on one point. All platforms and devices have their downsides. But in my experience, WP/W10M requires the most.

I'm reminded of what one of my uncles would say, "My goal for any given day is to get through it with as little pain as possible!"

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
It's the rebels vs the death star. You may think they have no chance but you have failed to examine the larger vendors for weaknesses. You talk as if there were no issues with the other vendors. No more OLED on Nexus... Just when Apple is criticized for NOT going OLED? Even Nexus is balancing cost vs risk. Apple still 5 years later and on a high end, extreme cost device, unable to utilize OLED. Verizon iPhone 7's have an unfixed LTE bug right now with no timeline for a fix. We need to keep MS aiming for top performance, but you should always consider that, compared to their peers, MS has put out more updates and more feature increases across more devices than almost all of the others combined. Even older Nexus devices are waiting in line to get updates. Older iPhones and iPads are dropped from IOS 10. No platform is a panacea. And at least your Lumias haven't exploded...

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
It's the rebels vs the death star. You may think they have no chance but you have failed to examine the larger vendors for weaknesses. You talk as if there were no issues with the other vendors. No more OLED on Nexus... Just when Apple is criticized for NOT going OLED? Even Nexus is balancing cost vs risk. Apple still 5 years later and on a high end, extreme cost device, unable to utilize OLED. Verizon iPhone 7's have an unfixed LTE bug right now with no timeline for a fix. We need to keep MS aiming for top performance, but you should always consider that, compared to their peers, MS has put out more updates and more feature increases across more devices than almost all of the others combined. Even older Nexus devices are waiting in line to get updates. Older iPhones and iPads are dropped from IOS 10. No platform is a panacea. And at least your Lumias haven't exploded...

Sure they put out more updates cuz it (W10M) lacked considerably compared to the competition and still does, and if you think the majority of those updates were "worthy" then we're all in trouble.

Just been updating phones, tablets and PCs, if this is how MS is presenting W10/W10M then it ain't going to appeal to the masses, too many inconsistencies along with there being an excessive amount of intervention needed by the user, that spells "FAIL" in this day and age.

I use the other two platforms as well and although they a far from perfect, the experience is way smoother and much more consistent compared to what 10 has to offer, at this point and time.

Bugs? MS has been king of them w/10s inception, still many go unaddressed... Haven't you heard the phrase " fix one, break two", and they weren't taking Android/iOS?

So an average 4 years of support for iOS devices isn't considered reasonable, couldn't say that for my Ativ S, L1020 nor do I believe my L830 falls into that category.

No, Lumia's haven't exploded but if my reads are any indication there has been lots of quality control issues w/hardware, so much so many owners have gone through several handsets with some models.

In the end I'd rather be a realist and see things as they are, but there's nothing wrong with dreaming I suppose ;).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
This is my opinion as well. I can easily rationalize compromising on one point. All platforms and devices have their downsides. But in my experience, WP/W10M requires the most.

I'm reminded of what one of my uncles would say, "My goal for any given day is to get through it with as little pain as possible!"
This.

I remember you said something around the forums a little while back about compromising just to be different. That has stuck with me. I don't remember exactly how you said it but it went something like this: "Wanting to stand out by using Windows Mobile has no gain. You're only inconveniencing yourself in the name of being different when you use a platform that does not have apps for what you need/use on a regular basis."

It's a statement that I keep having to revisit when I go through my switches. Idealistically, yeah I would be on W10M doing everything, and having subpar battery life because I have to use Edge to read my books. Or I could just use another platform that allows me to do everything, read my books and have nice battery life. The middle ground for me is Android so that is where I see myself at.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Funny you mention Verizon.

Is an unpatched bug on a phone you can buy from Verizon better or worse than a work-in-progress OS on a phone that you can't buy from them?

Raygreen3

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I am so happy to come back to using my trusty reliable snappy fast Windows 640 on the latest version of Windows 10 Mobile after struggling for almost a week trying to use my Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 6. That phone can drive me crazy at times. It can sometimes just freeze up for no reason for like 10 seconds and then be back to normal. I hardly ever have that with my $40 640. Once in a great while it will have its moment. But Android 6 will be so flaky almost on a daily basis. Plus the battery drains like crazy on the Galaxy phone. I even just bought a new battery for it. I am lucky if I can get 6 or 7 hours before I have to put it on the charger.

I still have a good amount of apps available on my Windows phone that I can get by until I get home to do anything that requires apps that are not on the Windows phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss