Should I buy (an) iPhone?

98plustwo

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Tell me: Should I buy (an) iPhone now to bridge the wait for Surfy McSurface? Or get a Lumia 950 XL? Since iOS seems to have the best quality Microsoft apps the thought crossed my mind...

Thanks.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to Windows Central.

Since this is not an urgent request for help with a device, but it is a question regarding options between various platforms, I've moved this to the Phone Wars forum.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Depends on you.

If you can afford buying a used/new iPhone (even a couple gen's behind) its worth trying. They hold their value very well.

After much flip-flopping I found Android to be the best fit for me, but that depends on the person. My best recommendation is to try it out for yourself, see how you like it.

kevroc

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Tell me: Should I buy (an) iPhone now to bridge the wait for Surfy McSurface? Or get a Lumia 950 XL? Since iOS seems to have the best quality Microsoft apps the thought crossed my mind...

Thanks.

Unless you don't need much in the way of apps, I would skip the Lucia 950XL. I find the OS very nice, but the lack of apps is a deal breaker. Not good to have a great phone that can't do anything...

The price on the 6s Plus right now is crazy good, unless you need or think you can really benefit from a new feature, the 6s line is great.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Unless you don't need much in the way of apps, I would skip the Lucia 950XL. I find the OS very nice, but the lack of apps is a deal breaker. Not good to have a great phone that can't do anything...

The price on the 6s Plus right now is crazy good, unless you need or think you can really benefit from a new feature, the 6s line is great.

What?? You must be talking about a broken phone that can't do anything.
Windows phone does everything I need it to do.

rinosaur

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Wait for the iP7 to come out in 2 weeks and get a deal on a 6s or buy the 7. They have excellent resale so you can't really go wrong. In case the mythical Surface Phone does come out next year you won't lose that much money. Just think about the people who paid MSRP on the 950/950XL, they cant even get 50% of the price back after a few months. I cannot recommend WM to anyone at this moment, call it retrenchment or whatever, but the current state of WM is pretty poor. Why do people support the platform when MS's own CEO uses an iPhone? That should be telling enough.

What?? You must be talking about a broken phone that can't do anything.
Windows phone does everything I need it to do.

Well he doesn't literally mean nothing. But there is a lot of things WM can't do which stems primarily from lack of apps. After 3 years with WM and switching to iOS, I feel like I rejoined society. Feels good that I don't have to put up with not having apps, or trying to find workarounds, or not buying stuff that doesn't have a Windows app.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
After much flip-flopping I found Android to be the best fit for me, but that depends on the person. My best recommendation is to try it out for yourself, see how you like it.
I'm slowly realizing this myself. I'm going to poke your adventure thread about this, because I don't want to derail.

After 3 years with WM and switching to iOS, I feel like I rejoined society. Feels good that I don't have to put up with not having apps, or trying to find workarounds, or not buying stuff that doesn't have a Windows app.
Yeah, I kind of get this. I didn't get it more than I got it today. I really thought this was an exaggeration until something happened to me today, where I needed to have that app. Thankfully, I was using my Android phone so all was good.

I'm going to cast another vote for the iPhone. The lack of customization might be hard to deal with. If it is, try a good Android phone.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Buy it buy it buy it lol

If you have the cash and then some more and you really really really want a phone that can keep you hip, you go ahead and buy that iPhone you sly dawg (this was not meant to be an insult, but in case you do view it as one, I refuse to apologize :D )

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Thanks.

is your current phone broken or stolen or missing? if yes, then you could choose it

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
After 3 years with WM and switching to iOS, I feel like I rejoined society. Feels good that I don't have to put up with not having apps, or trying to find workarounds, or not buying stuff that doesn't have a Windows app.

Same here. Jumped on the WP bandwagon with the 920, then the 1020 and 1520 (all three of them "flagship phones"). They were decent phones hardware wise, and the OS finally started becoming "complete" especially when Win10 mobile came around... But apps are important. And they're just not there. Games are important to some people too! You won't find some of the most popular ones on Windows Mobile, which is sad because the Windows desktop platform is where PC games have always been. It's kind of a reversed role now...

I switched back to iPhone with the 6S Plus (I waited until Apple had a "plus" size as I was spoiled by the extra large 1520 and could never go back to a small phone!) and couldn't be happier! I had used iPhones before my windows phone stint, and already knew the OS inside and out (I had the original iPhone, the 3G, the 4, then the 4S) so I feel right at home with iOS and their superb hardware. The 6S Plus is super super fast!

I can't wait until the 7 comes out.. Though I'll probably wait for the "S" version...

Get one! No regrets here...

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend getting an iPhone. If you are heavily invested in the Microsoft ecosystem, you will be pleasantly surprised by how much better the experience is on iPhone vs. Windows Mobile.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If you are heavily invested in the Microsoft ecosystem, you will be pleasantly surprised by how much better the experience is on iPhone vs. Windows Mobile.

Indeed; being heavily invested in Microsoft's ecosystem can be as much an argument for the iPhone as against it!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Indeed; being heavily invested in Microsoft's ecosystem can be as much an argument for the iPhone as against it!

This is true. It's crazy how well it generally works. Outlook is great and so are most of the services. OneDrive works well, for the most part. The only con is that you have to open the app to get your camera roll to upload.

I never have sync errors with Outlook ever (but yet, I have them on Android most of the time), kind of missing that.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Phones should not be so beautiful!!! lol

It's basic human nature. We want pretty things. You see a nice car you want it. You see a nice phone you want it. So making sure phones look good is a great selling point. Heck I really want the glossy one. Wish I could get w10m on it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's basic human nature. We want pretty things. You see a nice car you want it. You see a nice phone you want it. So making sure phones look good is a great selling point. Heck I really want the glossy one. Wish I could get w10m on it.

I'm convinced this is why Apple's goal seems to be making their devices razor thin, when in reality most people would probably rather have thicker devices with better batter life and greater durability. But we don't see the battery life and durability when we play with a device in the store. We only see them after buying the phone and using it for awhile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb