Microsoft's Lumia line will be killed off in December, report claims

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So?

These types of articles will cause panic across the internet.

However, Lumia does not equal Windows 10 mobiles. Our lumia's will still be getting updates. Microsoft just wants other OEMS to take the mantle and release phones.

HP has done it. Alcatel is coming with the Idol pro 4. The Xiaomi mi4 is available. There are rumours about roms for the one plus 2, one plus 3 and xiaomi mi5 and I am sure other OEMS will be following suit.

This is not the end of Windows 10.. No , oh no.. This... is just the beginning.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Among who?

Only those already a Windows Enthusiast will have any concern and let's face it we already saw this coming, especially if the goal was to make room for OEMs.

Microsoft has a habit of not explicitly saying things outright, instead seemingly relying on leaks and the media to interpret things for them. The problem is Lumia has always been associated with Windows Mobile OS so the only way to bring OEMs into the limelight is to not overshadow them. Lumia is viewed in the same light as an iPhone in that they are one and the same which is what I assume Microsoft wants to get away from. It looks like the only way to break that connection is to discontinue Lumia entirely.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Lumia is just a line of smartphones, like galaxy or moto g series. This was foreseen as the contract of phone manufacture ( lumia brand name too) from nokia is about to end they have to do this. Microsoft may present us with a new hardware or series but thats highly unlikely to happen.

windows mobile will keep on developing ahead.
best que, wait and watch!

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
So?

However, Lumia does not equal Windows 10 mobiles. Our lumia's will still be getting updates. Microsoft just wants other OEMS to take the mantle and release phones.

HP has done it. Alcatel is coming with the Idol pro 4. The Xiaomi mi4 is available. There are rumours about roms for the one plus 2, one plus 3 and xiaomi mi5 and I am sure other OEMS will be following suit.

This is not the end of Windows 10.. No , oh no.. This... is just the beginning.

I also wish that would really happen
But there is lots of difference between hope and reality...

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Whenever a major os update will come to windows phones ( I hope so).....and windows phone face huge drop down in market share and sales
this type of articles will pop out in future also..
Like.....
In 2011 windows mobile isn't dead it's just fresh start to windows phone 7.5

In 2012, windows phone 7.5 isn't dead and that's not news , its just a fresh start to windows phone 8 and 8.1

Now available is
Lumia isn't dead and that's not a news it's just a rise of windows 10...

And one more my favourite of all time
Smartphones are dead and its parts

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The damage will already be done as everyone will have already abandoned Windows in a years time.
Because Microsoft won't play nice with VZW I'm probably one of those people. I want a Windows 10 Phablet, but can't have one because in my area of rural America VZW is the only carrier that works with no holes in it's network and in my home in the middle of 300 acres of 100' tall trees VZW is the only carrier that works PERIOD. I even get a consistent 2bars, 4G LTE and the Mobile Hot Spot gets my 2 laptops on the internet quite nicely.
So I've bought a Samsung Note 7. I intend to continue to put the sim in my Lumia ICON so I can stay in touch with Win 10 M, you know, do the Insider updates, run it for a week or so and then put the sim back in my Note 7. BUT WHY DO I HAVE DO GO THROUGH ALL THAT JUST TO BE A WINDOWS PHONE GUY?

I've got hopes for the HP Elite, but though it DOES have a CDMA radio in it MS & HP keep it crippled with firmware. it's just all disgusting. crap.

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.] :winktongue:

Last edited:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The damage will already be done as everyone will have already abandoned Windows in a years time.

The thing is that Windows phone was never popular enough to even say any damage could be done to it. The app problem always existed, The competition was always way ahead. Really MS put a lot of effort into it and it still couldn't lift itself into a category that would be on par with the other 2 competitors. So whether this surface phone comes out a year from now or 2, unless it has some ground breaking exclusive feature that everyone wants, it won't take off. And if that exclusive feature comes 2 years from now, it won't be too late because if everyone wants something they will get it. There's no magic behind it. Everyone wanted Pokemon Go and of course they started downloading it like crazy. They don't care about windows phones past, they may not even know it exists but if something ground breaking comes out, everyone will know it exists. And you may have moved on to android/ios but you will come back if the feature is that good. So that's essentially what MS needs. Unfortunately, I don't think they can pull it off. This is why they decided to crawl into the business world where they can enhance their continuum feature. Most consumers don't really care much about continuum. It's still way too limited.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Hope the Alcatel idol pro 4 makes it to T-Mobile soon. In the meantime I have my 640 and 650 to hold me over for a little while anyway. Guess the best thing to do is just put the past behind and look to the future.

Going to miss the Lumia Windows phones..no other maker of windows phones have been as good as the Lumia line with the nice features they have/had Imo.
Hope that will change with the new Alcatel coming to T-Mobile. If and when it shows up.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Hope the Alcatel idol pro 4 makes it to T-Mobile soon. In the meantime I have my 640 and 650 to hold me over for a little while anyway. Guess the best thing to do is just put the past behind and look to the future.

Going to miss the Lumia Windows phones..no other maker of windows phones have been as good as the Lumia line with the nice features they have/had Imo.
Hope that will change with the new Alcatel coming to T-Mobile. If and when it shows up.
Amen, Brother.

EDIT> ...and look to more Cheeseburgers :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.] :winktongue:

John Callaham

Staff Writer
May 28, 2014
Visit site
As Zac stated on our site, the Lumia lineup may be closing shop but the more important thing is that Windows 10 Mobile support will continue for a long time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss