Lame joke from CNET about Surface Phone.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Ignore it

Honestly, a single device will not bring market share from 1% to 10% in a year, irrespective of what it can do
Microsoft isn't trying to get that double digit market share. What it does want is an ecosystem that people like to use. Mobile devices that are targeted to specific sectors (enterprise and fans) - most likely not mainstream audiences who want social media apps and nothing else. Social media apps don't really bring revenue to MS, do they?
But productivity software does bring revenue hence the push for enterprise

finalrelief

May 16, 2016
Visit site
What do companies like CNET get out of wanting Company A to fail vs Company B? Why the propaganda from a large review company? Are they just voicing what they believe their fans want to hear or say themselves?

LyricalNonsense

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
I laughed, by which I mean I blew a little more air out of my nose then usual, at some of those. However, the surface phone, if Microsoft is serious, would most likely appeal to businesses. Essentially becoming the new BlackBerry, which could renew the OS's stigma.

- M

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Lol, that video was hilarious. And guys don't take it so seriously it's obviously meant as a joke.

You're probably correct. The thing is that it's difficult with the situation WP is in at the moment. It's like being kicked while you're down. That's why it hurts. It may also hurt because, while maybe blown out of proportion, there's a grain of truth to it!

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I viewed it on YouTube - 25K views, 491 liked it, 1493 disliked it.

It's not just us. The video, in general, was terrible.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Perfect example of how so called tech journalists are simply fan boys/girls.

LOL 1,500 dislikes and 500 likes. I actually thought, considering the 99% iOS/Anroid fan base market share that this type of video would garner the usual dislike to like ratio of a popular video. Something like 1,537 likes 182 dislikes...something like that. I guess either mostly windows phones fans viewed this video or iOS/Android loves have some sympathy for us.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I found the video somewhat humorous, it seems like the list was crowd sourced so it's not all on CNET.

But the thing that I think many people miss with an idea like a Surface Phone (journalists, general consumers & even some Windows Phone fans) is that it's not about individual features or feature parity with other platforms or even specific hardware specs. It's about a new experience or a new way to use the device as a whole, that's what could make the Surface Phone a success.

Like how the iPhone 'invented' the smartphone, it took some existing features and technologies, added some refinements and focussed on making a great user experience (something that most other manufacturers weren't doing well at the time). It opened up the smartphone to a much broader audience and made it integral to people's lives.

I think the Surface devices so far have done the same thing, a 2-in-1 and stylus support wasn't unique but Microsoft has done it better and in a way that is accessible to a broad range of users and adds value to their workflow. Things like quality, usable, inking support that is now adding value throughout the whole OS and apps is one example of this. Microsoft's 'mobility of experience' or whatever is an example as well from a purely software side, having notifications (& now SMS) syncing across platforms.

I think a Surface Phone has a chance to do this too. Really consider the kinds of things that people do while mobile and re-think how those could be best serviced by a mobile device. That could be stuff like great inking/note-taking support, making continuum relevant for a broader audience, integration with wearables, extending Cortana's insights or a heap of other things, but I think it's the collection of these things and they way they are implemented that matters more than a 'killer feature' or 'killer spec' on it's own.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720