Surface Compute

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm not entirely convinced on this idea but thought I would see what you guys think.

Why does the surface have to be a phone? I was reading about how all these manufacturers are making bendable screens but the biggest limitation is the components that don't bend like the screen. But does the screen need all those components?

So I introduce to you the surface Compute. It could be shaped like anything MS wants it to be and won't even have a screen but will come with one depending on the bundle. It will fit easily into your pocket. Something similar to these compute sticks you find around.

intel_windows_81_onastick.jpg

Ok now, this can be your mobile device, desktop, tablet and/or laptop. It will just use the concept of continuum and scale for the accessory it connects to.

So now you can have a bendable phone screen that doesn't need anything too special to get it working. all the other components can be more or less worked into it. Maybe there will be a top portion and you unroll the screen and lock it into place depending how big you want it to be.

xiaomi-bendable-2.jpg

You can connect it to a desktop dock, to a monitor/tv directly, to a lapdock, phone screen, surface hub, hololens, car system, anything. It will be your central device that may come with a default mobile screen accessory. They could have different mobile screens as accessories, different styles, resolutions, you name it. Different lapdocks like the HP one. Even sold in bundles with specific screens and then you can get others as your computing needs expand.

Would the public catch on? Well it would have to be done really well. Wireless latency would need to be eliminated so that people don't notice it, especially in gaming so not sure this is feasible. And would the public want to carry this device around and make sure they don't forget it. They may have this habit of grabbing just the phone screen versus both device and screen.

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I just posted about a similar idea in another thread...make the continuum dock have an x86 processor in it so that when a phone connects it can run legacy apps. Instant full PC.

I don't think we can expect people to carry two items but if continuum is the gateway to run a full PC like experience people could buy multiple versions for home/work. They could also buy more powerful versions based on need.

The mobile device will have most of what is needed...memory, storage, OS, etc to keep the cost down on the dock. The dock will just have a co-processor if you will to run legacy.

Of course this is a solution for the old desktop paradigm...but could be successful in the corporate world. Companies would assign one device instead of two or three for workers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss