This Might Just Be The Final Straw

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Android 4.0.3-4.0.4 ICS makes up 1.6% of Android's 2016 marketshare. So no, not really.

The way it works is if you are developing for kit kat users at version 4.4(27.7%) you are pretty much developing for the base OS of 4.0 and then just slapping extra features on for the newer OS's.
But even that 1.6% from 1 billion users is still at 16,000,000 which is more than total windows phone users for 8.1/10 combined.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Since % is being used here, can one of you care to say what % of users are unhappy the way MS is making business sense of things?
Please consider the app gap, stopping Lumia/MS line of phones, dropping support for their own apps while the apps were not even at par with iOS and android counterparts, the list goes on.....

What is it to say that MS will not change their mind and say lets restart again with W10.1 or W 11?

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Since % is being used here, can one of you care to say what % of users are unhappy the way MS is making business sense of things?
Please consider the app gap, stopping Lumia/MS line of phones, dropping support for their own apps while the apps were not even at par with iOS and android counterparts, the list goes on.....

What is it to say that MS will not change their mind and say lets restart again with W10.1 or W 11?

You mean they were not already planning on another complete rewrite?!?!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Android 4.0.3-4.0.4 ICS makes up 1.6% of Android's 2016 marketshare. So no, not really.

Just doing some mental math here - Android is 87.7% of the marketshare. 1.6% of that is about 1.3% more total market share than WP8 & WP8.1. It's not even really close if you look at it proportionally. So yes, really.

The way it works is if you are developing for kit kat users at version 4.4(27.7%) you are pretty much developing for the base OS of 4.0 and then just slapping extra features on for the newer OS's.
But even that 1.6% from 1 billion users is still at 16,000,000 which is more than total windows phone users for 8.1/10 combined.

Exactly this. Well said!

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
How old is the straw you are drinking through? Even if you were on Android or iOS but a couple of iterations back, everyone eventually tires of throwing more resources into backwards compatability in perpetuity. Still, Microsoft likes to punch itself in the face, so I suppose loyal customers should expect similar treatment. I could understand decisions like this to cut off and move on, if there were a reasonable degree of certainty that the move on, new direction would be followed to somewhere productive. All of this culling, the old line of phones, the layoffs, the poor abandoned Band, it just gives you a sense of the company as lurching and thrashing around rather than guided by a uniforming vision,

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The final straw... For Windows Phone 8.1? Because Windows 10 Mobile has been out officially for a year. It's expected that they'd stop supporting apps for an outdated operating system. The Skype team is focused on Windows 10 Mobile, not Windows Phone 8.1, or 7, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I'm getting that strange sensation you didn't read the article. Not only is WP8/8.1 being s**t-canned, so is Windows 10 Mobile for any device not on the AU. There are some devices that will never go beyond 1511. Particularly those that don't have access to Insider builds. That's just plain wrong.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
How old is the straw you are drinking through? Even if you were on Android or iOS but a couple of iterations back, everyone eventually tires of throwing more resources into backwards compatability in perpetuity. Still, Microsoft likes to punch itself in the face, so I suppose loyal customers should expect similar treatment. I could understand decisions like this to cut off and move on, if there were a reasonable degree of certainty that the move on, new direction would be followed to somewhere productive. All of this culling, the old line of phones, the layoffs, the poor abandoned Band, it just gives you a sense of the company as lurching and thrashing around rather than guided by a uniforming vision,

See post #27, it applies to you too.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting that strange sensation you didn't read the article. Not only is WP8/8.1 being s**t-canned, so is Windows 10 Mobile for any device not on the AU. There are some devices that will never go beyond 1511. Particularly those that don't have access to Insider builds. That's just plain wrong.

Your Spidey sensations are incorrect. I did read the article. Which is a first for me with MSPowerUser, because their "journalism" is a kin to my attempts to cook.

Which models aren't upgradable past 1511? I assure you that market share is less than .4% of the .4% market share that is the total of Windows Phone/Mobile users.

Seriously, the number is negligible. And yeah, getting burned on a purchase sucks. It happened to me with the Zune, the Surface 2, and now the Band 2. But guess what? It's really not personal. Business is business. Microsoft is doing what's best for the future of Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile. And if you're a fan of the platform, that should be good news.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Your Spidey sensations are incorrect. I did read the article. Which is a first for me with MSPowerUser, because their "journalism" is a kin to my attempts to cook.

Which models aren't upgradable past 1511? I assure you that market share is less than .4% of the .4% market share that is the total of Windows Phone/Mobile users.

Seriously, the number is negligible. And yeah, getting burned on a purchase sucks. It happened to me with the Zune, the Surface 2, and now the Band 2. But guess what? It's really not personal. Business is business. Microsoft is doing what's best for the future of Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile. And if you're a fan of the platform, that should be good news.
The many phones that have been hacked, coship moly x1, acer jade primo, blu win HD LTE. There are a few.

Sent from mTalk

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
You mean they were not already planning on another complete rewrite?!?!

They might be for all you know. The device development might be in "space age" and all it takes is a chip in the head... and there goes MS all over again with its insider / outsider builds. They might even say that people with certain chips are not supported and EOL will be 3 years for some :D

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

People barely accept changing plugs because they aren't backward compatible. The fact is that even if backward compatibility is tough for a company, you can't sell a device and then drop support for a basic feature a year later and expect high user retention.

I have read multiple people write, "as long as my core OS experience stays the same, I don't care about apps." Now the core OS isn't even supported on devices. Like you buy your $650 Acer Jade Primo and now you don't get Skype anymore.

I lost my last straw awhile ago in mobile. The never finished service model is going to be my final straw with the regular OS.

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
People barely accept changing plugs because they aren't backward compatible. The fact is that even if backward compatibility is tough for a company, you can't sell a device and then drop support for a basic feature a year later and expect high user retention.

I have read multiple people write, "as long as my core OS experience stays the same, I don't care about apps." Now the core OS isn't even supported on devices. Like you buy your $650 Acer Jade Primo and now you don't get Skype anymore.

I lost my last straw awhile ago in mobile. The never finished service model is going to be my final straw with the regular OS.
How is it that the Acer Jade Primo is not supported? Did it not come with Windows 10m out of the box?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion