Should I stay or should I go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ihawks

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the 925 which didn't receive the w10 update,and now that ebay have gone, the barely usable facebook and no snap chat or strava in sight should I switch to android or ios? I really dont want to but am finding it hard to stay I love mummy windows phone but it isn't giving me what I need. If I stay which w10 phone do I go for?.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
that is a tough ask, honestly if you are missing lot of apps which are not even on windows 10 i guess you should move on other platforms. But if you could manage and keep faith in windows 10 mobile you should upgrade to the HP Elite X3 as it is the best smartphone running windows 10 in the market . I dont want to go deep into the issue of app gap but again windows 10 mobile still lacks a lot of basic apps like snapchat , tinder , alternatives are present but those are highly unreliable with issues of optimization wrt windows 10.

becakmang

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I miss my banking app. I've used the 950xl for 2 weeks almost and I do feel like im missing my apps.

As a phone, the 950xl is great. Easy to use. Awesome camera, great browser. But as a smartphone where you need apps, it certainly lags behind. I use the web browser of most apps. Facebook, twitter. It works but not ideal.

There are third party apps on the store, but again, not the same as the real thing. It's full of compromises.

I wouldn't suggest forking out on an x3. It's great for businesses. It has a virtual workstation so you run traditional programs via continuum. That's the only advantage.

I still have my s6edge+ so I suppose I can use that for my banking on the go. But windows needs to fix this app asap

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Each week another app or two drops off the WM 10 app list. Today, it's Skype. Tomorrow; ?. I don't think you can wait until the app gap is addressed. I don't think the app gap is a major concern of MS. App availability means they are accepting the need for a consumer phone. I don't see that mind set changing for the near future.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The gap gets old I have to say.
So sad developers the likes of Rudy Huyn couldn't breathe a little more life into Windows Mobile.
I guess the spark just isn't there...

Edit:
Thread moved to general discussion.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
If you stay I'd go with 950 because the price now is acceptable for the value of the phone. However staying/leaving does depend on the apps and features you're looking to use.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest picking the one you think you will like. I switched to Android and am happy. My wife switched to iPhone and is happy.

My recommendation is that if you want simplicity, go for Apple. If you want to customize a little more, go with Android. If you go with Android I would suggest getting a phone with the features you like and probably going with a Nexus or Pure device that will get guaranteed updates. They have been pretty good about sending out security updates and OS updates for my non-nexus device, but it is a little more questionable.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Each week another app or two drops off the WM 10 app list. Today, it's Skype. Tomorrow; ?. I don't think you can wait until the app gap is addressed. I don't think the app gap is a major concern of MS. App availability means they are accepting the need for a consumer phone. I don't see that mind set changing for the near future.

Actually all the apps that have dropped have been windows 8.1 apps. Just no replacement for windows 10 has come.

However, after todays event I have more faith in MS to create brand new hardware initiatives and expand windows 10 features to make UWP a viable platform for the future.

The PC industry is actually falling for general purpose use and it makes sense because tablets/phones take care of this easily. MS knows this so the best way to sell PC's is to sell for the power audiences that still depend on PC's(Gamers/designers/creators). And this new hardware of course takes best advantage of new windows 10 features and such will be the case as even newer hardware comes out. Design companies like Adobe know that to stay on w32 only will cause them to get replaced by someone else eventually that adapts the newer initiatives. Keep in mind that adding 3d to photoshop and using the new UWP apis could be quite an advantage for Adobe to be in the VR/AR/MR space. If they don't do it, someone else will take their throne. New gadgets like the dial are baked into the OS, but additional APIs to allow for unique things will likely only exist in UWP. And this will continue with newer hardware/gadgets.

MS is pretty much on the right path to show the falling PC industry that MS will continue to innovate and get new customers and expand their ecosystem. You either get on the train or you fall behind eventually. Believing w32 is the almighty api set is the equivalent of blockbuster not seeing the future of digital and believing that things won't change.

I honestly feel like Panos Panay is the new Steve jobs. The passion he has is very visible. And Satya is an extremely open minded person with vision. People who love windows mobile think Satya is destroying it, but he's doing the opposite. He's building an ecosystem around things people will adapt and once that ecosystem is in place the rest follows.

Right now it's like selling a car without tires and promising the tires will come soon. You can't really do that and it's not a good time for them to push hard with that car without tires unless it's a hover car. And MS will either introduce a hover car or ship it with tires when they are ready.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, abandon ship!

If you like your 925, then keep it until you can no longer, you aren't going to be upgrading to another windows device. Prepare for the decision of android or iphone instead.

Satya Nadella recently said that MS missed smartphones, so I get the feeling that they're slowly getting closer to pulling the plug.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
However, after todays event I have more faith in MS to create brand new hardware initiatives and expand windows 10 features to make UWP a viable platform for the future.

I agree that this is a reasonable perspective. The question remains: what is one supposed to do in the meantime? Not many people are satisfied with Microsoft's mobile product in its current state. Even assuming it does eventually come around leaves the present to contend with. That is why I would hesitate to recommend staying based on what it may become, even if that future is guaranteed.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I agree that this is a reasonable perspective. The question remains: what is one supposed to do in the meantime? Not many people are satisfied with Microsoft's mobile product in its current state. Even assuming it does eventually come around leaves the present to contend with. That is why I would hesitate to recommend staying based on what it may become, even if that future is guaranteed.

If the current windows lineup isn't satisfactory but your ultimate goal is to be on windows I would invest in a cheaper phone from android or an older iphone and that way you don't waste too much money and come back when/if things do pick up.

For me windows mobile covers everything I need so I'm pretty happy. I mean ebay app? Is the website that bad that not having an ebay app is doom? Facebook runs great for me but I do have the 950xl so it has a lot of power. My brother has the 925 on first windows 10 version and it is dirt slow on his, but he may replace it with the alcatel phone.

There are options just not very many. If you're worried about the future of windows mobile and making such a big investment, i don't feel there should be any worry. Why are big banks coming to windows mobile wallet despite the insanely low market share? Because the banks know MS is a sleeping giant that just woke up.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Wait for the Galaxy S8 or the iPhone 7s before making any decisions. The current lineup of Androids and iPhones is looking dated already.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
If you stay i would say go for a 950. Bought mine last week with the continuum dock thrown in for $399. Now is a good time to jump on deals if you can get them. These phones are at more of a reasonable price now.

This 950 runs even better now this go around compared to last November. A powerful phone and excellent camera.

BTW, the 925 was one of the best devices I enjoyed using. Was a great phone !

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Come to the Android world. Faster OS, great apps and Google. Much much much better than Cortana and with 7.0 update, Google assistant is gonna be far better and integrated to Android.

Don't ever think back. Microsoft is only betraying it's loyal windows phone users by providing it's services and apps with much better functionality, features and design to the rival platforms. Win10 and UWP is a joke. Unless Microsoft provides a better developer ecosystem, nothing can help. They themselves don't bother about windows phones.

If you think you wud miss Continuum, then switch to Android and install Andromium, it's currently in beta but does wonders way better than what MS did. The best part is my Lenovo K3 note basic phone works with this which Microsoft cannot get it to their low end devices or wud take an other decade

Last edited:

bmhillegass87

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
If you stay i would say go for a 950. Bought mine last week with the continuum dock thrown in for $399. Now is a good time to jump on deals if you can get them. These phones are at more of a reasonable price now.

This 950 runs even better now this go around compared to last November. A powerful phone and excellent camera.

BTW, the 925 was one of the best devices I enjoyed using. Was a great phone !

I also jumped on the opportunity to get a 950. I currently have an iPhone 7. I wanted to grab a secondary device and thought it might be a good time to check out the platform again. I was an original windows phone user when they first launched so this is very different in its current form. I've had almost every Android flagship this year Apple and Google have become so much the same, that I'm kind of getting bored with both platforms. The 950 has definitely been refreshing to use. Sure, there are better parts about using an iPhone or Android, but trust me this offers something as well.

CompsNewDadio

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm jumping tomorrow... my jump won't be clean and uncomplicated. It will be acrimonious. Kicking and screaming. :wink:

I'm bouncing back over to iOS after 4 years on WP and man, am I going to miss it. Sadly it is the App Gap that is forcing me to jump. eBay, Paypal, Amazon, Rightmove - all have dropped off over the past few months, all of which I used regularly. For me personally, I'm no longer using my phone to the full potential purely due to missing apps.

I'm going to miss a decent lensed camera and a cracking UI homescreen. Dreading the move, but I have been left with no choice. I use Droid on my works phone and still, after 6 years, can't get used to it and hate it with a vengance.

It's been a fun ride, but with no real solid commitment from MS to plugging the app gap, just general belly button fluff talk which people want to hear, yet they are still to deliver on. The past few months I've taken it all with a pinch of salt while playing a round of Business Buzzword Bingo, waiting for some solid proof yet nothing is forthcoming. I'm outta here :unhappy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre