Why doesn't Samsung make Windows Phones?

Vasil Dechkov

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
They made like three phones and stopped. They said that "it will be fun to work with the platform". Aren't they interested in Windows 10 Mobile? Same goes for HTC.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think they might be in a wait and see approach for how Windows 10 Mobile will develop. Additionally, they are making money with Android so they might not have reason to explore.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think Samsung may come back...

It's been a rough last half of 2016 for them. Note 7 fiasco and maybe you heard about the exploding washing machines. They just recalled 2.8 million of them.

samsung washer recall - Bing

There also was the beef between Uncle Sammy and Msft, where Sammy owed a lot of back royalties for patents Msft holds on code used in Android. That got settled and then, voil?, TabPro S was born a few months later...

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
It would also now be a third OS for them if they did. They've put too much into Tizen, brought it along so far, to make it compete for internal resources against Windows.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
No thanks, I don't want a Windows Phone that literally catches on fire.

I do have one of the recalled washers and their fix is laughable. A label to remind what items should now be washed on delicate instead of heavy-duty setting, and either a reinforced top cover or $40 off coupon to buy a new one.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
My Ativ S, which was my 1st reintroduction to WP (WM prior), ended up being the most well rounded when comparing it to my 1020/830. Just too bad Sammy didn't keep pace but seeing now how things have played out, they probably already knew.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I saw an article posted on some patents out there for Samsung. The pantents included sketches which gave a visual representation of a device running Windows and an Android type OS on the same screen/session. It displayed how to be able to switch between the two. Who knows if they're done or not.

Sent from mTalk

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
My Ativ S, which was my 1st reintroduction to WP (WM prior), ended up being the most well rounded when comparing it to my 1020/830. Just too bad Sammy didn't keep pace but seeing now how things have played out, they probably already knew.

Loved everything about my Ativ S. Used it daily for 2 years until it died from a 10 foot fall when I was on a ladder.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling now that Alcatel is out with their Idol 4S +VR Headset, if the number of sales spike as I think they may, you may see a fast track Sammy Galaxy + Sammy VR Gear hit the market.

It all depends on how we users adopt this, plus it helps our cause that Sammy had the Note 7 fire bug, and now the recall on washers coming apart, they will need a way to win back some bucks from 2 bad boo boo's.

Time will tell, but my guess watch for a Leak to hit the news cycle if Alcatel sells a good number of units.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Because they can't justify the low number of units they'd sell?

With the exit of Nokia/Microsoft as phone makers, the door is open for a big name like Sammy to get people talking and buying. They came with a Surface like device, something I would have never guessed. However I think they will watch what happens with the Alcatel Idol 4S.

The loss Samsung just took on Note 7 and the Washing machines will have them looking to bounce back.

Now would also be the time HTC could get a huge foothold, but I am not sure if HTC and it's old fans of the 8X and 8S have had enough time to heal sore feelings.

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Windows users are such a miniscule part of the market that it's not economically feasible to invest anything in it. I'm shocked they're bothering to make ANY new apps or phones for us period. I'm glad they are though, because I plan on coming back some day if there's something to come back to 😨

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Windows users are such a miniscule part of the market that it's not economically feasible to invest anything in it. I'm shocked they're bothering to make ANY new apps or phones for us period. I'm glad they are though, because I plan on coming back some day if there's something to come back to ��

Like the line from the movie says "If you build it they will come". Partners have been some what standoffish because Microsoft and prior Nokia was viewed as the Fav child. I am sure many didn't take the Microsoft statement to heart that they were backing away from producing handsets until now.

The wind is blowing in the right direction now and Alcatel and who ever jumps at the right time will not have the wind stolen from their sails by Microsoft.
As I see it, if and when a Surface Phone hits it will be much like the Surface in that it will have a Limited run of production and mainly serve as a design standard to show Partners where Microsoft wants to go, and hold ideas Partners can then fold into their own product line. Just as Tablet and 2in1's now do with the Surface Kickstand and other design features of the Surface.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
With the exit of Nokia/Microsoft as phone makers, the door is open for a big name like Sammy to get people talking and buying. They came with a Surface like device, something I would have never guessed. However I think they will watch what happens with the Alcatel Idol 4S.

Except the Achilles heel of Windows phone is that there still aren't the apps for it that people want on their phones. If Samsung took their Galaxy S7 and/or S7 Edge (not the Note 7, obviously), sales would still barely register because people have decided that apps are what matter and Android and Apple are good enough.

Even the Windows phone fans would look at a repurposed S7 or S7E and complain that Window gets months old, recycled hardware (just like the Alacatel Idol 4S is recycled hardware that ran Android first).

The Alcatel Idol 4S won't register any sales worth noticing.

And don't get me wrong: I think Windows on a phone is the best mobile OS out there: it strikes a nice balance between the walled garden of Android and the wild west of Android. But it's dead because there are no apps for it, which is why even someone like me switched away (to Android in my case).

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I would agree a year ago, but I think the better term would be "Hit Rock Bottom". Windows 10 for Mobile is not dead, it is on life support but showing signs of improvement.

Right now I don't think many would whine or moan if Samsung took a page form Alcatel, much like the last Tablet Samsung offered with Windows 10. The only issue I saw most had was price, no one that I am aware of got after it as a repackaged Galaxy Note Pro.

Also it is not going to be just 1 device alone that gets Windows Phone back on the path to growth, it will take the Alcatel Idol 4S + the HP X3 + what ever other models pop out.

There is an interest in the platform, and it will not drop out like say BB 10 has now officially failed. Granted it will take some doing, but so far we have a good start. The X3 launched with a few issues but quickly updates were out and things are looking ok, Alcatel is set to launch and it has been in the news cycle and the talk of things like reddit. It may yet surprise a few at what it does, I am going to guess it's frist run was limited to get a handle on how well it will go out the door.

What is needed is a name like Samsung to renter, and if Samsung sees the chance to push units then I think you will see the change to an upward trend. They need a few good things in light of what the Note 7 and the Washing Machines did to their bottom line. It is not so much about "How Many", as it is about distance from the fire phone with some good news about new phones that don't go up in flames. As even upbeat stories about development of the Note 8 have Note 7 still attached. They need good news to spin !!!

HP has the right idea, and they are starting to show off just how good the X3 can be with access via Continuum to full on x86 on server base. That is not something that will gain average Joe Consumer, but will get a look by bigger companies.

As to apps that will only sort itself out if the change happens and that requires time.

I would think myself average Joe, and there is no app right now I want for my phone. It does everything I need it to do and more. If you work with what you have and take a little time to search you would be surprised what Windows Phone can do.
My 640 XL + my Acer W3 + Pen have become things I need in my daily life, my mobile office all in was less then a Galaxy Note and I do everything I need ( Yes even hand written notes on the 640 XL ).

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I would think myself average Joe, and there is no app right now I want for my phone. It does everything I need it to do and more. If you work with what you have and take a little time to search you would be surprised what Windows Phone can do.
My 640 XL + my Acer W3 + Pen have become things I need in my daily life, my mobile office all in was less then a Galaxy Note and I do everything I need ( Yes even hand written notes on the 640 XL ).

I'm sure my 830 could do the same but for me it comes down to its stability in reliability and consistency running the current OS, far from stellar I must say.

Accessing apps through a web portal is no replacement for a good well developed app especially if Edge is the browser one needs to depend on, there are a few business apps I need and going "WEB" just doesn't cut it, not from what I've experienced first-hand so far. Geez, some sites won't even load because we're greeted with "sorry, we don't support your browser at this time", you don't say.

Working with what you have is fine if there are no other viable alternatives but there is, plus those alternatives minimize the uncertainty instilled into WP that could one day come back to haunt. :wink:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey for your needs if Win10Mobile is not a fit, get what you need!!!! If it's Apple or Android more power to you!! Yes it's a shame WinMo does not fit all setups, but Microsoft is now turning it's attention to the OS and just in my opinion starting to get it right.

The funny part of the HP service is they offer access to Chrome via the web portal. :)

Given time it going to be interesting how it all plays out !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234