Had this crazy idea

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi people,
I just had this crazy idea...
So, what if, what if Surface phone supports Xbox 360 BC games and Xbox One gamepads?
A Xbox handheld in the flesh! I'd freaking buy one! And Once user base's up, people wouldn't hesitate coding UWP games (with controller support).
And maybe 4, 5 years later when tech's ready, you can have Xbox One BC on our phones!
Please, someone contact Phil / Phone division!

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
LOL~ good idea.
XBox fan base is big enough for this or not, I don't know.
May be good to use as a part of the package though.

Snowsky419

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I think this could be what Microsoft is aiming for with UWP. Maybe, in the future, Xbox games will be able to be bought once and played across Xbox, Windows 10 for PCs, and Windows 10 Mobile (and maybe even HoloLens!).

Perhaps they could create a Project Islandwood-style project to add on-screen control buttons that could replace an Xbox controller. And/or maybe they could also add Xbox controller support.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi people,
I just had this crazy idea...
So, what if, what if Surface phone supports Xbox 360 BC games and Xbox One gamepads?
A Xbox handheld in the flesh! I'd freaking buy one! And Once user base's up, people wouldn't hesitate coding UWP games (with controller support).
And maybe 4, 5 years later when tech's ready, you can have Xbox One BC on our phones!
Please, someone contact Phil / Phone division!

A console within a phone. Interesting and yes crazy. why dont Microsoft just develop a handheld console rather than making it a console + phone.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I think this could be what Microsoft is aiming for with UWP. Maybe, in the future, Xbox games will be able to be bought once and played across Xbox, Windows 10 for PCs, and Windows 10 Mobile (and maybe even HoloLens!).
Yes, a platform or ecosystem. No one wants to reinvest if there's a choice. The more investment / involvement, the harder for people to jump ship.
(Unless you screw something up so bad, really bad or your opponent is 200% better than you XD)
That's what keeps people from leaving Facebook (to Google+) / AppStore / PlayStore and what didn't stop people from leaving WII / XBox360.
* I'm not saying I'll keep playing old games (especially those long hour AAA ones)... I'm a game programmer myself (gamer since elementary, I played enough), hardly play game twice (I study'em). It's just... human nature I suppose. Knowing that it is still there, still accessible, collector at heart.

A console within a phone. Interesting and yes crazy. why dont Microsoft just develop a handheld console rather than making it a console + phone.
Handheld console, or just handheld, would most likely be underpowered.
An underpowered current-gen device will only get 2nd rated 3rd party or indie support IMO.
(I'm not implying indie game is 2nd rated. Shovel knight or Crypt of the NecroDancer is gem)
Handheld and console experience is different, you don't really have Halo, Forza, Bioshock equivalent, not even on PSV.
I have Nexus + Surface Pro + XBox One Wireless Gamepad with me all the time. I do have a NES edition 3DS but... I barely have games on it. Gamepad supported Android games and Win10 have me covered.
One of the reason I don't want to invest more into 3DS is... there's no guarantee I won't lose everything when next-gen's out. And because I have a choice. I have other services to promise me that (keyword: Scorpio, UWP, XBox Cloud Sync, Steam, playStore).

Roughtly, think you can categorise people into these group.
1. PC master race
Yeah, I know, outta equation.
No console!!! No mobile!!!

2. Console master race
People that despise mobile games. If they can tolerate with what handheld can provide, they will play, if not, still no mobile gaming.
Yes or no to handheld, definitely no mobile.

3. Gamer (but with more open heart)
True... I can get a 3DS... but I don't want to bring 2 devices or I don't want to buy it for just 1 game or don't want to spend extra (on not AAA experiences)... and I'm ok with (free / a few not too bad) touch-based-games for killing time.
Mobile is tolerable, handheld probably not necessary.

4. Casual or non-gamer.
Mobile, period.
(Casual gamers in Japan would prob go with 3DS)

5. Children
Depends on their parents...
mobile these days?
(Might go with 3DS in Japan...)

A XBox handheld?
I'm no fortune teller... but think you can tell that hanndheld's future's not so bright judging by recent news.
And I think right now, phone market is as important as their PC and XBox.

A phone?
The market is already been taken. And a phone game... gamepad or not, it's ok or a meh for killing time. Even a healthy eater will crave for greasy food sometimes.
* I think MS is betting on the UWP + PC/XBox's popularity, hopping one day devs will naturally port their applications to win10 phones after PC/XBox.

Why console + phone?
Again, as a gamer, touch-based-game only? Why can't we have both? Most people won't buy a gamepad for phone if there's no much support. Dev won't support if they don't know or believe mobile + gamepad business can work.
Besides, you have this inconsistency, you can either code a touch-based-game (or not-so-finger-busy-game) for phone but not for PC/XBox, or code a gamepad-game (or keyboard-mouse-game) for PC/XBox but not for phone. Either way, MS Store don't have much yet. Gamers are still waiting for good UWP games on PC, and phone don't really sell as much...
I know there's Quantum Break, Forza and killer Instinct, but not enough (and phone's not powerful enough to run QB). You need more dev support and more less-computation-costly-games (e.g. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap).
Xb360 BC + gamepad can make "Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap"-ish game go UWP across PC/XBox/Phone possible.
Xb360 BC + gamepad on phone can achieve what Apple and Google have failed. It not only benefits phone market but will help UWP as a whole.
Should grab it while you still have a chance.

Last edited:

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it would be that simple. The Xbox 360 uses a PPC chip and frankly it's shocking that they were able to get an efficient emulator on the Xbox One. Windows phones use ARM, which may or may not be comparable (though to be fair the Nintendo Switch rumors has it within spitting distance - but with specialized hardware).

That being said, I genuinely expect Microsoft to leverage their ecosystem by opening up the Xbox - but they need to strike a balance to ensure they don't turn off customers by complexity.

I can see Microsoft merging Xbox into Windows 10 entirely - and allowing third partys (and even individuals) make their own consoles capable of Xbox games. But Microsoft would have to make it easy to figure out what systems can play which games, and at what levels. They tried that once with the Windows Experience Index, which while being the most logical solution ended up with sever complexity. As an armchair analyst I could spend a bunch of time theorizing how they would do it, but honestly I'd just leave it to those who are paid to do so and have the knowledge and contacts.

All I know is that I would like a HTPC/console that can do everything I want it to do without cludging around, and that includes Bluray movies, Steam games, and Playstation Now.

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if anyone can recall but the gaming phone was brought to market several years ago (N-Gage.) I think it strays more towards a novelty than something with mass appeal, now if it is just something that is capable of I think it just becomes a great additional feature (more so if it doesn't influence the cost.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett